Yellow | TDU website

Very first union meeting I attended was the '94 NMFA ratification meeting. I wondered why everyone was in an uproar about the bonus for the first year. I thought to myself, this is money in hand. I was soon taught that the bonus instead of a hourly raise would cost me $ every hour that I work for the rest of my career. Local 71 president sold it as a great contract........he left soon after Carey did. DS.

DS what you say is true to a point, but we as Teamsters use to have backbones. I have'nt seen that for quite a while and unfortunatly every one gets to vote. I want everone to vote like me.:biglaugh::joke::hide:
Yea in a sense you are correct..........as in any election or contract vote poor turnout does not invalidate the results. When you say backbone, I think about being a part of the process and standing up for what you believe and having the balls to do so.

The key is to get people interested in the process and become involved. From what I have seen at my own barn and union meetings it seems that freight members aren't really that caught up with this contract. I put out fliers about our local meetings, Tyson mails out updates and calls our houses. The IBT and freight locals have updates on their websites.

It's still up to the membership to become a part of the process......not just set back and biach about the outcome. DS.

we need to get rid of the tier stage wages. i don't care what the proposals are as long as we are taking a hit on these younger drivers and workers. they take a hit on wages and then they play the layoff game usually with a young family when they need the money the most. these companies and i just don't mean trucking its all over now just taking advantage of labor. we have been going backwards for years and yes i do remember good contracts and better money. as far as tdu they have made an impact on our union for the better.

Teamsters for a Democratic Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

set the tear to experience if you have 10 years driver for usf then jump to yellow keep full wages based on time maybe even figure in safety record and for dock spot hands who transfer or want to become a driver same they keep full pay

If the teir wage is done away with it should be for all.Or esle these companys won`t hire you if you worked where they will have to pay u full rate,they will hire off the street ,it will be cheaper..Do you think thet care if u have know how? they just want bodies at a cheaper rate.

IMO..........if you have a decent driving record with a union carrier you shouldn't have progression to top rate.........that's a slap in the face. DS.

I can't remember when the union started splitting the wages?
When I got my first union LTL city driving,and dock job back in 1966 it was an hourly wage.
Only $3.30 per hour,but it was the same if you worked casual,or were on the clock working fultime for many years.
Also it was time,and a half after 8 hour per day.
Yup even way back then.
I took a withdrawl in 1986 to hire on fultime with Overnite.

But I don't recall when the wages were split into the tier system?

By the way,how was that idea ever allowed to pass?

I can't remember when the union started splitting the wages?
When I got my first union LTL city driving,and dock job back in 1966 it was an hourly wage.
Only $3.30 per hour,but it was the same if you worked casual,or were on the clock working fultime for many years.
Also it was time,and a half after 8 hour per day.
Yup even way back then.
I took a withdrawl in 1986 to hire on fultime with Overnite.

But I don't recall when the wages were split into the tier system?

By the way,how was that idea ever allowed to pass?
If memory serves me correctly deregulation was causing many Union companies to go under. This was supposed to allow the companies to hire new guys and increase membership. It was sold on the premise that the new guys needed training and all the Old Timers were more than willing to overlook it as it did'nt effect them at the time. :chairshot: It has come back to bite us several times over since. I remember voteing against that contract and it was my first taste of the "I got mine" syndrome. To be fair that may have been the contract that was actuley voted down but the International stuck it with us due to the 2/3 rule in effect at the time. I'm sure there are guys that will recall this better than I and in my mind it was around 1987.

You call that wage progression?

If it is true they can stick it where the well you know! .50 a year is a insult my god have they not seen the price of fuel, gas, food
And everything else our families need...

It better be a $1.00 X 5 = Keeping up a little with inflation!

Think Boys! It is called a wage package! 45-50 cent an hour. (I would like more) and $1.00 an hour P&HW. Don't forget that!
I'm sure if you read the survey most people wanted P&HW, Job protection, wage increase and on down the line in that order.

The years of the tiered wage system were......1982 in Central Pa. and 1985 nationally. It's been changed a few times since then.

We need at least .65 cents per hour and 2 cents per mile. At least match that crappy contract they gave UPSF. .45 cents is a joke.

I would like more per hour also, but lets not get to greedy, have you seen what other truckers are getting paid.
We've had guys fired and while waiting for their grievence to be heard had to work at companys that paid 'alot' less.
I'm more concerned about the language that will 'allow' union carriers to compete with the non=union carriers.

We need at least .65 cents per hour and 2 cents per mile. At least match that crappy contract they gave UPSF. .45 cents is a joke.

Wait a minute they (union) told us (Indy) that was a great contract. If this is a great contract I can't wait to see what they do for you guys. Don't get me wrong I want it to be everything you guys want. Then maybe all the other terminals here at UPSF won't settle for that sub-par contract we got at Indy.