Yellow | Teamster magazine

Just turning pretzels into pretzel rods ;)

I don't have anything against the individuals who decide to become members. Rather my issue is primarily with the organization protecting bad employees. I understand the need to protect good employees from bad employers, but I'd argue there are already organizations that do that. There's also the contract negotiations that can border on extortion. There was a time when that representation and strength in numbers was certainly needed, but now not so much. The free-market will take care of it without the third party meddling.
Well stated but I don't agree with much of it...I have worked non union also and trust me they have many bad employees also, my theory is they are worried about qualified bodies so employees who don't work hard are better than none...there are no organizations that I'm aware of to protect good employees if they are not in a "protected class" (meaning religion, sexual orientation, race, disability)..... there are no overtime laws for truck drivers, as well as even compensating a driver for all work other than driving (ask a truckload driver) the free market hasn't corrected any of this....my opinion on that is due to big money lobbying by trucking companies which is why Unions are still necessary...

I have worked non union also and trust me they have many bad employees also

I have also worked union and non-union, hourly and management at both. Bad employees at non-union companies are a reflection of poor management. There's simply no reason to keep them around.

, my theory is they are worried about qualified bodies so employees who don't work hard are better than none

Interesting. I'd rather pay nobody than pay somebody to do nothing ;) Qualified employees are out there, you just have to have enough to offer to entice them to come to you.

...there are no organizations that I'm aware of to protect good employees if they are not in a "protected class" (meaning religion, sexual orientation, race, disability)..... there are no overtime laws for truck drivers, as well as even compensating a driver for all work other than driving (ask a truckload driver) the free market hasn't corrected any of this....my opinion on that is due to big money lobbying by trucking companies which is why Unions are still necessary...

OSHA comes to mind immediately.

As to overtime laws and compensating for all time worked, that's something the free market would correct if we let it.

OSHA comes to mind immediately.

As to overtime laws and compensating for all time worked, that's something the free market would correct if we let it.
OSHA has nothing to do with protecting good employees other than safety....
Deregulation happened over 40 years ago and I sure am glad I didn't hold my breath "for the free market to correct if we let it"... the answer has been to import more drivers to work for less by the powerful trucking lobby...

OSHA has nothing to do with protecting good employees other than safety....
You said you weren't aware of any organization that protected folks that weren't in a protected class. I just mentioned the first one that popped into my head. Non union trades people likely find OSHA does a pretty good job of protecting them.
Deregulation happened over 40 years ago and I sure am glad I didn't hold my breath "for the free market to correct if we let it"... the answer has been to import more drivers to work for less by the powerful trucking lobby...
I was speaking to the overtime laws and drivers not being paid for all duties performed. The free market is determining that there are folks willing to do the work for the compensation given. If/when there's enough demand for drivers those rules will change to attract folks. If the compensation demands are too high there will be a lumper riding shotgun in a self driving rig sooner than I would like to see.

Isn't providing jobs to the lowest qualified bidder the free market?

Last edited:
Are they really making trouble or just expressing a different opinion than the majority? Curious minds want to know! :idunno:
I feel anybody who was or is involved in the Yellow situation has the right to express their opinions no matter what they are. But there are a few posters on this forum that have their own agenda and have one sole purpose to post here and that's to :stirthepot: .

I feel anybody who was or is involved in the Yellow situation has the right to express their opinions no matter what they are. But there are a few posters on this forum that have their own agenda and have one sole purpose to post here and that's to :stirthepot: .
I will just be glad when I find out what happens with the old Aurora terminal then I'll just let you guys hash it out. Sad no matter šŸ˜ž šŸ˜¢ what. Go figure it is in the last bunch. Wouldn't be sad if ABF bought that one it's closer to home. Not as nice as the first Yellow terminal he worked in up the street kind of from that one but way closer to the house

Last I checked these were public boards.
I enjoy listening to every perspective form some folks much smarter than I am....

I don't believe in censorship just because someone expresses opinions which might be contrary to what a majority believe. A free expression of a variety of opinions makes for interesting and educational dialogue even when some of those opinions might be disturbing to our long held beliefs. My skin might have become a little older and more wrinkled but it's not thin at all. :smile new:

I don't believe in censorship just because someone expresses opinions which might be contrary to what a majority believe. A free expression of a variety of opinions makes for interesting and educational dialogue even when some of those opinions might be disturbing to our long held beliefs. My skin might have become a little older and more wrinkled but it's not thin at all. :smile new:
I agree 100%, like you, I want facts when someone asserts something that i feel is absurd, one poster in particular never has links....

Good idea. Get rid of any and all discussion that you disagree with. Sit around the campfire, ignore the truth, and worship the all powerful Teamsters Union and your spiritual leader, Sean O'Brien.
I don't think you are wrong with this, but for a guy who retired at 55 and has collected about a million in pension benefits you are strangely very bitter.....

Well stated but I don't agree with much of it...I have worked non union also and trust me they have many bad employees also, my theory is they are worried about qualified bodies so employees who don't work hard are better than none...there are no organizations that I'm aware of to protect good employees if they are not in a "protected class" (meaning religion, sexual orientation, race, disability)..... there are no overtime laws for truck drivers, as well as even compensating a driver for all work other than driving (ask a truckload driver) the free market hasn't corrected any of this....my opinion on that is due to big money lobbying by trucking companies which is why Unions are still necessary...
The free market has corrected many of those things. No law requiring OT, yet companies pay it. You may not like it because be over 45 or 50 hours but they pay it. There is no law requiring OT after 8 hours a day.
Truck load drivers work by per the load contracts.
The free market does not correct problems that do not exist. Labor is a competitive commodity. Employees sell their labor. If a company can't hire drivers at the current compensation rate, they will pay more.

I don't think you are wrong with this, but for a guy who retired at 55 and has collected about a million in pension benefits you are strangely very bitter.....
I am indeed very bitter. I have watched the IBT destroy the unionized LTL industry by refusing to adapt and grow with the times. By insisting on unsustainable benefits, classifications and work rules, the union made companies unable to compete in the competitive free market. In the years immediately following deregulation, the companies that closed were poorly run and could not survive without the government subsidy called regulation. Then came the slow death imposed upon those whose companies that could no longer be profitable because of the cost disadvantage of unbending union contracts.
Fast forward to 2023. The IBT forces Yellow out of business by insisting on compensation, classifications and benefits that Yellow was never going to be able to pay. "Pay the rate or shut the gate". That same year, the Teamsters Union brags about the large gains made at ABF and TForce. Is O'Brien blind? Is he unaware of how that strategy has played out in the past? Will he not be happy until all the unionized LTL companies are gone?
This is where you answer that ABF is doing just fine. One company has to be the last one standing until they too close the doors.
Yeah, I'm bitter. Very bitter and pissed off that the union, my union, whose primary responsibility is job security put so many people out of work. People who now have those scarlet letters IBT following them into every job interview.

I don't believe in censorship either and never have made a statement that anybody should be censored here. I have suggested to a few people on here that it might be better for all if they spent their time somewhere else if they are going to spew false opinions and accusations instead of factual material. Nothing disturbs me anymore, I have parked the tractor awhile ago, but I do know it disturbs quite a few on here when people are talking bull :crap:. They have lotions out there that can help with that skin condition you know.:hysterical:

There are a few really angry bitter people on this board. Move on. For those who feel because it's legal people are working over 8 hours a day w/o OT it is ok because the free market allows it. Dood...you are something else. My God Really lmmfao you were the joke of day in an engineering team meeting

I am indeed very bitter. I have watched the IBT destroy the unionized LTL industry by refusing to adapt and grow with the times. By insisting on unsustainable benefits, classifications and work rules, the union made companies unable to compete in the competitive free market. In the years immediately following deregulation, the companies that closed were poorly run and could not survive without the government subsidy called regulation. Then came the slow death imposed upon those whose companies that could no longer be profitable because of the cost disadvantage of unbending union contracts.
Fast forward to 2023. The IBT forces Yellow out of business by insisting on compensation, classifications and benefits that Yellow was never going to be able to pay. "Pay the rate or shut the gate". That same year, the Teamsters Union brags about the large gains made at ABF and TForce. Is O'Brien blind? Is he unaware of how that strategy has played out in the past? Will he not be happy until all the unionized LTL companies are gone?
This is where you answer that ABF is doing just fine. One company has to be the last one standing until they too close the doors.
Yeah, I'm bitter. Very bitter and pissed off that the union, my union, whose primary responsibility is job security put so many people out of work. People who now have those scarlet letters IBT following them into every job interview.
You were an IBT official when much of what you say went on. You have never once talked about anything you ever did to promote the changes you talk about....

There are a few really angry bitter people on this board. Move on. For those who feel because it's legal people are working over 8 hours a day w/o OT it is ok because the free market allows it. Dood...you are something else. My God Really lmmfao you were the joke of day in an engineering team meeting

There are only 3 states that require OT after 8. Everybody else is OT after 40. If you are in one of those 47 states that don't require OT pay after 8 and you are getting it, it's because the employer has decided that they need to pay it to attract and retain the quality employee they desire. That's the free-market. Except for those where the Union held the employers' feet to the fire and demanded OT after 8.

I am indeed very bitter. I have watched the IBT destroy the unionized LTL industry by refusing to adapt and grow with the times. By insisting on unsustainable benefits, classifications and work rules, the union made companies unable to compete in the competitive free market.<snip> Very bitter and pissed off that the union, my union, whose primary responsibility is job security put so many people out of work. People who now have those scarlet letters IBT following them into every job interview.

Sorry that you are bitter. I agree with your observations above 95%. The part I don't is that union members are the ones who are putting folks out of work by demanding unsustainable compensation packages and largely blaming corporate greed when a company is deemed "too profitable". Those scarlet letters were earned by creating an environment where forklifts are idled along the length of the dock because "they have to work safe" or folks worked with 15% less effort. Where good, hard-working folks refused to hold their brothers/sisters accountable because that's management's job. That may be one of management's jobs, but management isn't the one getting branded with those scarlet letters.