ABF | Teamster or schemester

Lefty.

TB Lurker
Credits
Maybe teamsters should spinoff ltl to a smaller more dedicated union. Teamsters have there own agenda and ltl is not part of it. calling them a waste of time. Office worker's have it a lot better than us, work maybe eight hours go home. Us they keep getting more work, but not hiring at all or we get one then lose one. Most worker's realize teamsters are out for themselves and dues, we're not that stupid. Pension a joke always bragging about pension and medical. Try leaving Young 57. You get half they don't want to pay. Can't get young people to stay. Only worn-out old people that can't survive on small pension.

Sounds to me like you should follow these “young people” to what ever Freight company they are going to. Be sure and let us know how that fully paid pension/health & welfare works out for you over there. Not to mention the grievance process. You do of course realize that your pension/health & welfare are paid on your behalf at a rate of over $800 a week. These “young people” that leave for higher wages will soon realize how much better off they were at ABF when theirs or their wife or child’s health deteriorates. Believe me when I tell you the health and welfare is worth it’s weight in gold.
And I don’t know about what pension fund you are with that cuts your pension in half at age 57. I am in Central States, and our pension is reduced by 6% for each year you are shy of 62. If I retire at age 62, my pension will be just shy of $5000 a month. Tell me what other freight employer will pay for your pension and let you retire at age 57 with full pension. For that matter, what other freight employer will pay for yours and your families healthcare plan?

Most people that leave actually do better. If I was younger I would not want to put thirty something year's at abf. My pension does double in five years. I don't like it. Overtime is a racket. Most will stay stuck at abf that aren't super cheap.

Abf may pay a lot in pension, but pension is not worker friendly at this time . Don't want to pay, maybe hope you die.

Sounds to me like you should follow these “young people” to what ever Freight company they are going to. Be sure and let us know how that fully paid pension/health & welfare works out for you over there. Not to mention the grievance process. You do of course realize that your pension/health & welfare are paid on your behalf at a rate of over $800 a week. These “young people” that leave for higher wages will soon realize how much better off they were at ABF when theirs or their wife or child’s health deteriorates. Believe me when I tell you the health and welfare is worth it’s weight in gold.
And I don’t know about what pension fund you are with that cuts your pension in half at age 57. I am in Central States, and our pension is reduced by 6% for each year you are shy of 62. If I retire at age 62, my pension will be just shy of $5000 a month. Tell me what other freight employer will pay for your pension and let you retire at age 57 with full pension. For that matter, what other freight employer will pay for yours and your families healthcare plan?
Don't police retire at fifty five. And military twenty years so around forty you can get over six grand a month tax free. With disability.

Also how much do you get if you retire at fifty seven? I'm sure you'll get half. Cause you also work less years paid in not every one wants to work sixty hours when there sixty two, when government wastes most of our taxes. Giving them to people scamming tax payers.

Also how much do you get if you retire at fifty seven? I'm sure you'll get half. Cause you also work less years paid in not every one wants to work sixty hours when there sixty two, when government wastes most of our taxes. Giving them to people scamming tax payers.
Oooh! Math. I like math.

6% per year shy of 62.
57 is 5 years shy of 62.
6 X 5 = ...I'm not sure.
100 - ...I'm not sure = there's no way to find that out.

You don't see any problems? Do you just accept your lot in life.
I never did & retired a Teamster. Let me give you an example of that crappy insurance. My son was born 1971 and the company I drove for had great insurance they said. Cost me $3800 dollars at the hospital. Daughter was born in 1974 & I had a teamster driving job. She also had a club foot when she was born and her birth, surgery on her foot and a year and one half of weekly casting of her foot, TOTAL cost to me........ 0.00 with my CRAPPY insurance through our Teamster contract. I doubt if the dues I paid over 30+ years even came close to this.:1036316054: Now my son in law is a deputy sheriff in Orange County Ca. has to put in 30 years for full pension and the money you describe sounds high but they pay a little more into their pension from their pay equal to what most pay into Social Security because they don't pay S.S. therefore they don't get S.S.

Don't police retire at fifty five. And military twenty years so around forty you can get over six grand a month tax free. With disability.
Oh please......don't compare a truck driver to a military person....while trucking can be dangerous it doesn't compare to serving in the armed forces...my brother served almost twenty five years in the Navy, retired as a Chief Petty Officer... he doesn't get six grand a month...

I'm gonna go use the rest of my rare-in-trucking weekend to play with the dogs, tuck in the wife, and maybe do some a that there vidya gaming.

But in closing...ABF wasn't right for me, but it's still pretty damn good. If it's not to your liking...change it. Attend union meetings. Make recommendations for the contract. Be pro-active. Because...you actually have a SAY at a union company, rather than receiving whatever the boss decides you deserve.

Have a good night.

I read all the posts up to here and I like this one the most. It is great, especially the last 2 word sentence "with disability." How much is it worth NOT TO BE DISABLED??? Not to be retired, old AND disabled? Not to spend your last years living in a wheelchair, not to have someone else feed you and wipe your butt for you. How much a month is that worth?

Well I thought the younger generation goes into military just too get on disability. It's not the same country or same people.you work the system or the system works you.or go to abf work 60 hours a week for thirty years.