ABF | Teamsters, ABF continue labor negotiations

R-14Driver

TB Legend
Credits
Negotiations between ABF Freight Systems Inc. and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters continued in Kansas City this week, and the two parties are no closer to an agreement, a release from the union said.

The parties recessed on Wednesday afternoon after making little progress toward a deal. Talks between ABF, a subsidiary of Arkansas Best Corp. (Nasdaq: ABFS), and representatives of ABF’s 7,500 union employees are not scheduled to resume until Jan. 28.

The current agreement between the less-than-truckload carrier and the Teamsters expires March 31.................

Teamsters, ABF continue labor negotiations - Kansas City Business Journal

What exactly is a split shift?
And what holidays would they be taking back? We already work some that gov workers dont.

What exactly is a split shift?
And what holidays would they be taking back? We already work some that gov workers dont.
Split shift=4hrs in AM and 4hrs in PM and not consecutive hrs either.

Well the cross classification has been going on in 042 for a couple of years. It started when the mid west got hit with alot of snow and loads got backed-up. Well ABF went to the Local and asked if they could use local guys to move the loads because they ran out of road drivers on the weekends so the Local said yes to help them out. Well fast foward a couple of years and ABFis still doing it. 042 uses EOL terminals city drivers and HVXP drivers on the weekends to due road work. The guys towards the bottom of the xtra board may only get 3to4 trips a week when its slow because they sit tue-thur because theirs no work but come fri they all get out so ABF can use its local guys for the weekend. Give them an inch and they want a foot.

Well the cross classification has been going on in 042 for a couple of years. It started when the mid west got hit with alot of snow and loads got backed-up. Well ABF went to the Local and asked if they could use local guys to move the loads because they ran out of road drivers on the weekends so the Local said yes to help them out. Well fast foward a couple of years and ABFis still doing it. 042 uses EOL terminals city drivers and HVXP drivers on the weekends to due road work. The guys towards the bottom of the xtra board may only get 3to4 trips a week when its slow because they sit tue-thur because theirs no work but come fri they all get out so ABF can use its local guys for the weekend. Give them an inch and they want a foot.
I remember that going on as far back as 15 years ago. I did always wonder how well it went over at the break-bulk.

Negotiations between ABF Freight Systems Inc. and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters continued in Kansas City this week, and the two parties are no closer to an agreement, a release from the union said.

The parties recessed on Wednesday afternoon after making little progress toward a deal. Talks between ABF, a subsidiary of Arkansas Best Corp. (Nasdaq: ABFS), and representatives of ABF’s 7,500 union employees are not scheduled to resume until Jan. 28.

The current agreement between the less-than-truckload carrier and the Teamsters expires March 31.................

Teamsters, ABF continue labor negotiations - Kansas City Business Journal

They can ask for the moon but in reality they are making money, they are not even count the revenue on Relo Cubes and U Packs, include this revenue and we can see exactly how much profits ABF has made.
1. They want use of split shifts, well for the company that would be great, but for the employee, it would be devastating, some live many miles away from work and that will double their miles they have to drive and spend in gas alone. I for one would not do this.
2. Almost as bad as the first one. 4 hour Part timers in the morning and in the afternoon will cut out all overtime, so if you want overtime you can kiss that goodbye. You will only be working 4 hours a day no matter how far you have to drive, and remember you will not getting credit toward your pension, or be getting health benefits. It will still cost the same to drive don’t matter if you work 4 hours, or 8 hours. Again I would not do this, as it is not practical. And you would not have insurance or benefits paid in on your Pension.
3. Subcontractors, hmmm There is no way this is good for us. They will be taking more work away from our own Road Drivers Which you know will now be doing work of city drivers, dock workers, and Yard Workers, that is if they don’t lose their jobs going to UE drivers.
4. They want to take back part of your vacations, and reduce holidays, I say no way. We have worked way to long and too hard to just to give it back. (We need this time. I don’t have time now to take care of my personal things).
5. There is no way we should give up any supplements. They are there for our protection.
6. They want us to work across classifications; We are doing that now with UE Drivers. They are utilizing them to replace Road Drivers now. UE drivers run the road, do yard work, and work the dock now; This is saving the company big money now. If this is implemented you will see city drivers running the road on the weekend if hours permit, cutting out the need for Road Drivers. With the use of Split shifts, part timers and 4 hour casuals, this is a way to cut the boards, cutting our wages, and benefits. There is no way this will get passed. This is a race to the bottom if our union agrees to any part of the nonsense.
7. They need to be looking into the new Hybrid Pension, or some other way to make sure our pensions will be protected without losses of benefits.
AS I SEE IT THEY ARE WANTING TO TAKE MONEY AWAY FROM ME JUST TO GIVE TO CERTAIN FEW. AND THIS IS NOT OK WITH ME
WE ARE NOT A NON UNION COMPANY, AND THIS IS NOT YRCW
ABF IS MAKING MONEY, EVEN WITHOUT INCLUDING THE UPACKS OR RELO’S

By the way thank you R-14Driver for this it was very interesting to see what they really think of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know we have a city guy here that used to run linehaul on the weekend. Just our loads to the breakbulk in dayton and back, that was 6 or 7 years ago. Our ue will run on friday night (he normally works 4 days) when they get busy and he might hit 2 or 3 terminals.
As far as split shifts I have always been told that we cant clock in twice in the same calendar day. I thought it was a law, maybe a state labor law.

That split shift language that they want must only pertain to the dock operation in the breaks correct?Because I don't know where else it could work.

I could lots of uses for it and I'm sure ABF could too, more than we could imagine.

According to our BA, ABF is asking for anything and everything under the sun and they don't know how much it will save them or even how or where it would be implemented. This management team is greedy ! We have heard everything from how the shareholders need better returns on there money to how Judy is worth her $1.35 MILLION all the while they have an over staffed local management and office staff!
How many small terminals like the one I work at have a TM, supervisors, office staff, salesman.
Just for comparison the local YRC is a dark terminal (no office or management) and has three times the teamsters working. Just at our terminal alone, they could save an estimated $225,000 annually by eliminating the non revenue making management !

I believe we are at the point where we could cut out at least our inbound supervisor.

dont forget that this works to a drivers advantage sometimes. Say if you fail your physical, you are not out of work at 042. you simply go to the dock side and work the yard and you dont lose your job. At other terminals where there is no crossing over if you fail your physical and cant drive, you are finished at abf. plus there would be guys junior to you working on the dock. or say you go out one night and get a DUI. without a crossover, you are done. with one, you can work the dock. Plus if it gets slow on the road you can take a layoff or go to the dock and work, your choice. guys often complain every year in april when we can cross over that someone either comes in or goes out and bumps them off a job they wanted. Well ive been there 22 years and that has only happened to me 2 times and it was never permanent. one time a driver came in to the dock where I was and took a city run i wanted. He came in cuz he was close to retirement and didnt want to chance getting into a wreck. he retired 4 months later and I got the bid anyway. Theres good and bad with it and I can say in my experience that overall it can be a good thing.

Conway, in our area , has been doing split-shifts for as long as I remember. They have a guy come in to work the inbound around 7 or 8.... work til about noon...go home for 4 hours,..and then come in to turn Toledo or Columbus. They're told "hell or high water" punch out by midnight. I'm not sure how they're logging it...if they're illegally using "sleeper bunk" during their time home, or what. Or maybe they're just not logging the dock time. That would be a typical non-Union trick, wouldn't it?

According to our BA, ABF is asking for anything and everything under the sun and they don't know how much it will save them or even how or where it would be implemented. This management team is greedy ! We have heard everything from how the shareholders need better returns on there money to how Judy is worth her $1.35 MILLION all the while they have an over staffed local management and office staff!
How many small terminals like the one I work at have a TM, supervisors, office staff, salesman.
Just for comparison the local YRC is a dark terminal (no office or management) and has three times the teamsters working. Just at our terminal alone, they could save an estimated $225,000 annually by eliminating the non revenue making management !

Ahhh,..yes....like so many other companies....the Shareholder and his "needs" are more important than the employees. The company exists for the Shareholder only. What's more important?....People, or Business? I'm sure most of us.....with a soul...can answer that in one word. When Business either impacts badly on the life of it's employees or it's consumers....then is the Business worth existing? To Hades with the "shareholder" and his never-ending quest for more profits from the comfort of his office by squeezing them out of both the employee and the consumer.....I'd like to squeeze a few shareholders.......right between the front bumper and the ICC bar.....

Ahhh,..yes....like so many other companies....the Shareholder and his "needs" are more important than the employees. The company exists for the Shareholder only. What's more important?....People, or Business? I'm sure most of us.....with a soul...can answer that in one word. When Business either impacts badly on the life of it's employees or it's consumers....then is the Business worth existing? To Hades with the "shareholder" and his never-ending quest for more profits from the comfort of his office by squeezing them out of both the employee and the consumer.....I'd like to squeeze a few shareholders.......right between the front bumper and the ICC bar.....

That's the problem with unions imo. Too many make it personal.

Many ABF Teamsters are ABF shareholders too.

So....if you're a "shareholder", I expect you're hoping for a concessionary contract that slashes Labor costs...and whatever you lose in wages as an employee, you hope to make it up in increased profits on your shares as a "shareholder"?

Tell us just how many, please. I would like to know how many of us own that stock.