ABF | Teamsters, ABF continue labor negotiations

I understand how it works regarding a road driver losing medical,license or if they get laid off. But if a city driver loses medical,license they get the same advantage too. If in april you choose local side and you can't get a 6 punch in on the dock I don't think it's fair to go run the road. When a road driver sits a couple of days during the week ABF doesn't offer them city or dock work.If ABF wants cross cassification then they should offer it to road drivers too.The road board has been shrinking for years and they are the ones who always get screwed. This is just my opiion.
sure, thats a good point. I would say that at 042 its pretty rare for those local guys to run the road on the weekend when they get more cash working a 6punch especially if they offer 2 hours over on top of that. its the guys from brooklyn, phila scranton hagerstown vincentown etc that are running into carlisle on the weekends that should draw attention more than the carlisle guys. i leave on sat afternoons on a bid and theres no carlisle guys there except me and maybe 4 or 5 city guys from other terminals getting the work doing turns. just check the sheets and youll see.

sure, thats a good point. I would say that at 042 its pretty rare for those local guys to run the road on the weekend when they get more cash working a 6punch especially if they offer 2 hours over on top of that. its the guys from brooklyn, phila scranton hagerstown vincentown etc that are running into carlisle on the weekends that should draw attention more than the carlisle guys. i leave on sat afternoons on a bid and theres no carlisle guys there except me and maybe 4 or 5 city guys from other terminals getting the work doing turns. just check the sheets and youll see.
no one out of Scranton 184 runs the road on the weekend..... On a very rare occasion we will work the city on the weekend @ I mean rare.....

no one out of Scranton 184 runs the road on the weekend..... On a very rare occasion we will work the city on the weekend @ I mean rare.....

i guess what i should have said is there are city guys in 042 on the weekend from all over the place so as to sum things up. There are so many its tough to keep track of where they are all from!

jeez ... in other words, you have no life! wow.. no thanks on the split shifts.. and how exactly would that benefit ABF ?

i guess what i should have said is there are city guys in 042 on the weekend from all over the place so as to sum things up. There are so many its tough to keep track of where they are all from!
Are those other terminals that busy that Carlisle can't cover the loads?

no, carlisle had a lot of drivers that retired or quit or died in the past year so our board is exhausted by the weekend so 042 cant cover the loads because they have no drivers. the stewards have said that they wont hire anyone, the company is saying they cant hire anyone cuz there isnt anyone qualified to work for us. Our linehaul got really letter happy the past year or so and drivers have had enough of it. you cannot take a day off at all without receiving a letter for "failure to meet your work obligation" even if you only take 24 hours off or supply a doctors note. you cannot even get your birthday off unless youre someone special without having to give them a paid personal day on top of the pay for your birthday. so every time a driver gets some ATO time and can get 48 or 72 hours off they are doing it and I cant blame them. You cant get off for a dr appt or a birthday or graduation or for a one of your kids coming home from service overseas[this happened to me] without having paid time to give them. most guys are on a call board, so there are no "scheduled days off." if you are out of sick days, youre out of luck to get off a day. this is why Im laughing at the proposals this company is making about parttimers and O/O cuz no one is going to work like that. the most important thing to a road driver is TIME OFF.....and if you cant get it, all the money in the world isnt going to make up for you missing out on life, and they want to cut that as well? good luck with getting the men you need to move your freight, i say.

oh, i forgot that they cut 10 bids last week saying there was no work and we are overbid but they are out of drivers every weekend and running those casuals into us. Im starting to see the writing on the wall as this is the future...our regular employees at our own terminal are scum but anyone who helps us out is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Why hasn't the teamsters tried to stop this nonunion growth where ABF has leverage now? Serious question from a union supporter.

I'm asking why the teamsters havent tried to campaign other carriers in years?

It's hard to do, Brother....and expensive. First off, everything in trucking is on wheels. Your Local may spend $5000.00 on an organizing drive, and when the NLRB certifies the election, 2 months later, the carrier in question closes it's doors and moves 75 miles down the road to another Local jurisdiction. Secondly, this isn't like organizing a factory where you rub shoulders with your fellow employees at least 8 hours a day. Solidarity is easy to maintain when everybody is in eyesight of each other all day long. In trucking, the vast majority of employees see each other for about 15 minutes a day in front of the dispatch window....the rest of the day, it's just you and management, either on the phone or face to face away from the other employees. Us Truckers are supposed to be a uniquely courageous breed.....supposed to be, anyway. I've been on organizing drives where the great, big biker-types are storming in the hallway about "going in the office and telling that pencil-necked geek what's what!".....and when we did go in to present our organization petition, the great big biker-types stand there with their hat in their hands , mumbling about how they didn't want it to come to this.....and you could almost hear the testicles rolling down the pant-legs onto the floor....and the pencil-necked geek is looking at me with a big toothy grin and suggests maybe I don't belong here? Organizing takes courage of conviction, and willingness to put principles ahead of a paycheck......how many people do you know will do that nowadays? I guess the only answer is for management to get so power-mad, and greedy, and ruthless, that the average worker can't stand dragging his dignity in the dirt any longer. Do you see us getting to that point soon?

It's hard to do, Brother....and expensive. First off, everything in trucking is on wheels. Your Local may spend $5000.00 on an organizing drive, and when the NLRB certifies the election, 2 months later, the carrier in question closes it's doors and moves 75 miles down the road to another Local jurisdiction. Secondly, this isn't like organizing a factory where you rub shoulders with your fellow employees at least 8 hours a day. Solidarity is easy to maintain when everybody is in eyesight of each other all day long. In trucking, the vast majority of employees see each other for about 15 minutes a day in front of the dispatch window....the rest of the day, it's just you and management, either on the phone or face to face away from the other employees. Us Truckers are supposed to be a uniquely courageous breed.....supposed to be, anyway. I've been on organizing drives where the great, big biker-types are storming in the hallway about "going in the office and telling that pencil-necked geek what's what!".....and when we did go in to present our organization petition, the great big biker-types stand there with their hat in their hands , mumbling about how they didn't want it to come to this.....and you could almost hear the testicles rolling down the pant-legs onto the floor....and the pencil-necked geek is looking at me with a big toothy grin and suggests maybe I don't belong here? Organizing takes courage of conviction, and willingness to put principles ahead of a paycheck......how many people do you know will do that nowadays? I guess the only answer is for management to get so power-mad, and greedy, and ruthless, that the average worker can't stand dragging his dignity in the dirt any longer. Do you see us getting to that point soon?

We'll also never get anywhere when we have union leadership and members playing the stupid class warfare card and endorsing job killing liberal policies.

The unions problem today isn't big business or so called corporate greed, our problem is the union itself.

no, carlisle had a lot of drivers that retired or quit or died in the past year so our board is exhausted by the weekend so 042 cant cover the loads because they have no drivers. the stewards have said that they wont hire anyone, the company is saying they cant hire anyone cuz there isnt anyone qualified to work for us. Our linehaul got really letter happy the past year or so and drivers have had enough of it. you cannot take a day off at all without receiving a letter for "failure to meet your work obligation" even if you only take 24 hours off or supply a doctors note. you cannot even get your birthday off unless youre someone special without having to give them a paid personal day on top of the pay for your birthday. so every time a driver gets some ATO time and can get 48 or 72 hours off they are doing it and I cant blame them. You cant get off for a dr appt or a birthday or graduation or for a one of your kids coming home from service overseas[this happened to me] without having paid time to give them. most guys are on a call board, so there are no "scheduled days off." if you are out of sick days, youre out of luck to get off a day. this is why Im laughing at the proposals this company is making about parttimers and O/O cuz no one is going to work like that. the most important thing to a road driver is TIME OFF.....and if you cant get it, all the money in the world isnt going to make up for you missing out on life, and they want to cut that as well? good luck with getting the men you need to move your freight, i say.
Wow dident know it was that bad, it sounds a lot like roadway where i served my 10 year sentence before moving on over to abf. Our city terminal runs pretty smooth ive been here 5 years & they never gave out a letter. They better change their philosophy in a hurry beacuse a good driver is getting harder & harder to find not to mention being on call & weekends....

I dunno, I seen what I think was a shiny green Sterling out front of 042 with a "come and drive me" sign hanging on the front of it a couple of weeks ago. :shrug:

Not necessarily, just means that the region is keeping busy. Even if your terminal is slow they can run you with empties either to CAR or another EOL terminal and pick up loads, then you could go anywhere in the system that they need you and you can turn on your 14. i e Scranton to CAR with empties to Newburgh with loads and back to Scranton with empties. Or Scranton to Newburgh with empties then to CAR with loads and back to Scranton with loads. If they really like you you can take a loaded set to CAR, turn Hagerstown and York then return to Scranton barely making it in 14 hours for about the same as you'd get working 8 hrs OT.

Not necessarily, just means that the region is keeping busy. Even if your terminal is slow they can run you with empties either to CAR or another EOL terminal and pick up loads, then you could go anywhere in the system that they need you and you can turn on your 14. i e Scranton to CAR with empties to Newburgh with loads and back to Scranton with empties. Or Scranton to Newburgh with empties then to CAR with loads and back to Scranton with loads. If they really like you you can take a loaded set to CAR, turn Hagerstown and York then return to Scranton barely making it in 14 hours for about the same as you'd get working 8 hrs OT.
No thanks 5 days a week is enough....

I dunno, I seen what I think was a shiny green Sterling out front of 042 with a "come and drive me" sign hanging on the front of it a couple of weeks ago. :shrug:

dont let that sign fool you. I talked with the stewards a while ago. there were 9 or 10 new guys approved for hire and the company said, "Uhhh, we changed our minds" now the only sign out front is for management and dispatchers. so what does that tell you?

Wow dident know it was that bad, it sounds a lot like roadway where i served my 10 year sentence before moving on over to abf. Our city terminal runs pretty smooth ive been here 5 years & they never gave out a letter. They better change their philosophy in a hurry beacuse a good driver is getting harder & harder to find not to mention being on call & weekends....
all I can say is work at a DC for a while and there you will meet the REAL ABF. then they wonder why when they ask for a giveback that the guys at the DCs always vote no.