Yellow | Tentative 5 Year NMFA agreement - Breaking news

depends what the meaning of "is" is

:soapbox::attention:
The things we need to look for in the new contract vary by personal opinion, but the guiding factor should be LIMITATION.

If there really is a proposal for temp $14 hr workers, are they limited to summer months only when we are very busy? Does it require that ALL classification employees in that region be recalled from layoff before they can be hired? Does it limit the number to a percentage of the work force? Any other factors we should consider?

If they want newbies at 80% for 4 yrs and thats okay w/you, fine. But, does it limit the number to a percentage of the work force? Will they realign the runs at the expense of full wage drivers, so they 80% drivers get the longer runs? Are drivers that move from one barn to another and rehire subject to this? Any other factors we should consider?

If they fund $1 to health and welfare and this is okay with you, fine. Are they going to absorb any additional increase in overall funding costs to maintain this over the life of the contract or will this be a loss of benefit in year 2 or 3? What other factors should we consider?

The biggest concern in this contract is not what the contract says, its what the company had in mind when they bargained for it. The company pays accountants and lawyers tons of money to figure ways to save millions in employee related expenses, then write them into obscure language that they can bargain for. The unions job is to translate the obscure language back into those ways and bargain against it, while trying to get more benefits for us. Unfortunately, our union leaders seem to have found it easier to ignore this portion of their duty. Instead, they seem to play on affiability of their relationships with the workers, to get a free pass on their obligations, at our expense.
:soapbox::
Excellent post. These companies will agree to "give" wage increases but always try to include language and fine print that protects them from doing so:ranting:

The company can keep their pay raises, I like what we're getting paid, but give me decent insurance, keep the pensions secure! The biggest obstacle in Dallas anyway, is the Hostlers, Dock, and Shop, having a slow-down every other week over some stupid crap! That's not productive, and it hurts the drivers most of all!

Yarnell,You know those guys do what they do in the yard.Its expected.With a five year contract why would you cut yourself short on the money when things get better.Youll be scratching your head and wondering why you made a bone head decision.Economy is cyclical and things change.Lets get some money and why shouldnt we have a great bennies too.its not too much to ask.escpecially if our union just received 6.8billion fromUPS...Give everybody an ATM card

Hey! how bout a 750 dollar bonus like in 98....That would be great.

A bonus is a "ONE" time deal! WHY would settle for that? At least .40hr would still be there next year and the year after and so on! NEVER TAKE A BONUSSSS!!!!!!!! Mustache Retired Roadway:smilie_132:

Bonuses are a scam. They are designed to make you vote yes without looking at the substance of what you're really going to get in the contract. Bush gave alot of Americans a one time kid credit and got elected. See where that got our country. Then you pay 40% tax on the bonus, so it really is 60% of the amount your given.

Why are we allowing this to go on?
The freight companies do this sh*t every damn contract!!!!
They lay guys off in November & December then tell us they need to compete with the non-unions.
There are articles all over telling about how terminals are swamped with freight and guys are getting more overtime than they can handle!!!!!!
Bring those laid off back to work and hold their feet to the fire in April!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They want this contract signed EARLY
so they can get back to business as usual!!!!
Why are they signing another 5 year deal if things are so bad for them?
Let the contract at least come to an end before we tuck tail and run!
How in the hell are we ready to sign a deal 4 months before the exsisting contract is up????????????
They want to play this lay off game
Then let them play out all 4 quarters
You dont quit at half time
They want to get this sh*t done so they can bring those guys back to work so they can get the freight moving.
They bit off more than they can chew
and we are swallowing it for them!
The last 3 contracts have been done this way or are we too friggin stupid to see it?
If they want a contract early give them 2 years and lets re-negotiate at that time.
This way we will see what kind of changes they wish to make to compete with the non-unions. Just maybe we will see what shenanigans they are pulling!
I am a UNION guy 100% but lets at least see whats going on first. The veiw from being over this barrel so long is getting ugly!!!!
$1.00 for bennies
$2.55 over 5 years Another damn 50 f**king cent contract... GIVE US SOME MONEY FOR CH**ST SAKE!!!!
15 YEARS OF 50 CENT CONTRACTS
I GIVE MY KID MORE THAN THAT IN ALLOWANCE
:ShakeHandsNah: NO DEAL

AND THE CHOIR SAYS AMEN!!!!:1036316054:

I found a pair of rose colored glasses last week and I sat down and read the new proposed contract,then I read the current contract,and I came to the conclusion that It is not a bad contract ,but one has to really sit and take the time to get an understanding of all the language in both the current and the proposed contract,what I read is that everything that we have in the current contract is protected in the proposed contract.That being said I did when I got my ballot put on my rose colored glasses and put an X in the yes box.And maybe when I get my big George Bush tax rebate I will get a pair of those rose colored glasses for all of you who look at things through those dark gloomey glasses.

I found a pair of rose colored glasses last week and I sat down and read the new proposed contract,then I read the current contract,and I came to the conclusion that It is not a bad contract ,but one has to really sit and take the time to get an understanding of all the language in both the current and the proposed contract,what I read is that everything that we have in the current contract is protected in the proposed contract.That being said I did when I got my ballot put on my rose colored glasses and put an X in the yes box.And maybe when I get my big George Bush tax rebate I will get a pair of those rose colored glasses for all of you who look at things through those dark gloomey glasses.

Hey Buf, I read Tyson's Notes. They were up til after I pointed out, they said exactly what I've been saying for weeks. As I recollect from prior postings, you're in linehaul. If so, I hope you have plenty of seniority or your rose colored glasses have ESP. Otherwise you may be looking for work. BUF will probably be hit hard once the shiny wheels gets rolling good.