TForce | The current state of TForce? Opinions? Losing customers? Economy? Layoffs?

Alain Bedard told us exactly what was going to happen, when TFI bought us we were losing money, our OR was 102% our claims rate was twice the industry average, when you are spending $102 to make $100 that is unsustainable, it doesn't matter how much more freight you add to the system it doesn't change that. Alain Bedard was the first Executive that came out and publicly stated what most of us thought, that UPS Used UPS freight as a bargaining chip, UPS went to the big manufactures and told them we would haul there unprofitable freight that no other LTL company wants, along as they gave us there package volume, thats why we were not making money and trailer seemed full, thats why the linehaul system is centered around CUBEs and not schedules, they never cared about service, they didn't care about damages because everyone knew it was crap freight, the large contracts we had the damage claims were capped we paid those claims based on weight not the value, the shippers knew this and happily signed the contract, their item may be valued at $5,000 but it only cost $200 to produce so us paying a $200 claim on a $5,000 item and hauling it for free is how we were ran it was by design the profit came from UPS getting iincreased package volume, I was told a pup at UPS has about a $100,000 worth of revenue on it and our 13,000 pound pups average about $5,000 of revenue

the consignees were not happy, but consignees are not our customer, the shipper is our customer they are the ones that pay us, the shippers were mostly happy, the clerks and local managers we would see while we were delivering and picking up may not have been, but the higher ups were.

Once we were seperated from UPS we had to be profitable on our own, it is much easier, quicker and cheaper to cut the unprofitable freight, we got rid of the bottom third of the profitable/ unprofitable freight, we were handlingabout 28-30,000 shipments a day, we got down to about 20,000 we went from spending $102 for every $100 we made to spending $88 for every $100 we made, we were making more money than we ever and was doing it with less freight. it is much easier to turn a company around and make changes when you are handling less freight, Alain Bedard has stated that now costs are under control, he wants to add about 3,000 shipments a day to the system, they have replaced most of the sales department with people from his other companies, TFI corporate can now see how individual termminals are operating something UPS never could see. He also wants to start focusing on service by reducing rails and putting that work on our own employees, rails are cheaper, but they create service failures, he stated the top 3 LTL companies do not use rails and the only way to compete with them is to focus on service.

Once we were seperated from UPS we had to be profitable on our own, it is much easier, quicker and cheaper to cut the unprofitable freight, we got rid of the bottom third of the profitable/ unprofitable freight, we were handlingabout 28-30,000 shipments a day, we got down to about 20,000 we went from spending $102 for every $100 we made to spending $88 for every $100 we made, we were making more money than we ever and was doing it with less freight. it is much easier to turn a company around and make changes when you are handling less freight, Alain Bedard has stated that now costs are under control, he wants to add about 3,000 shipments a day to the system, they have replaced most of the sales department with people from his other companies, TFI corporate can now see how individual termminals are operating something UPS never could see. He also wants to start focusing on service by reducing rails and putting that work on our own employees, rails are cheaper, but they create service failures, he stated the top 3 LTL companies do not use rails and the only way to compete with them is to focus on service.
About the best summary of the debacle known as ups freight.

Alain Bedard told us exactly what was going to happen, when TFI bought us we were losing money, our OR was 102% our claims rate was twice the industry average, when you are spending $102 to make $100 that is unsustainable, it doesn't matter how much more freight you add to the system it doesn't change that. Alain Bedard was the first Executive that came out and publicly stated what most of us thought, that UPS Used UPS freight as a bargaining chip, UPS went to the big manufactures and told them we would haul there unprofitable freight that no other LTL company wants, along as they gave us there package volume, thats why we were not making money and trailer seemed full, thats why the linehaul system is centered around CUBEs and not schedules, they never cared about service, they didn't care about damages because everyone knew it was crap freight, the large contracts we had the damage claims were capped we paid those claims based on weight not the value, the shippers knew this and happily signed the contract, their item may be valued at $5,000 but it only cost $200 to produce so us paying a $200 claim on a $5,000 item and hauling it for free is how we were ran it was by design the profit came from UPS getting iincreased package volume, I was told a pup at UPS has about a $100,000 worth of revenue on it and our 13,000 pound pups average about $5,000 of revenue

the consignees were not happy, but consignees are not our customer, the shipper is our customer they are the ones that pay us, the shippers were mostly happy, the clerks and local managers we would see while we were delivering and picking up may not have been, but the higher ups were.
Thank you! UPS purposefully ran the freight division into the ground .

Thanks for that explanation. However, I advise the company to bring back the workforce before those 3,000 shipments come through the system. They’ve had people laid off since Thanksgiving. If they wait too much longer they won’t be available at all. TForce can be proactive or reactive here.

Once we were seperated from UPS we had to be profitable on our own, it is much easier, quicker and cheaper to cut the unprofitable freight, we got rid of the bottom third of the profitable/ unprofitable freight, we were handlingabout 28-30,000 shipments a day, we got down to about 20,000 we went from spending $102 for every $100 we made to spending $88 for every $100 we made, we were making more money than we ever and was doing it with less freight. it is much easier to turn a company around and make changes when you are handling less freight, Alain Bedard has stated that now costs are under control, he wants to add about 3,000 shipments a day to the system, they have replaced most of the sales department with people from his other companies, TFI corporate can now see how individual termminals are operating something UPS never could see. He also wants to start focusing on service by reducing rails and putting that work on our own employees, rails are cheaper, but they create service failures, he stated the top 3 LTL companies do not use rails and the only way to compete with them is to focus on servic

Thanks for that explanation. However, I advise the company to bring back the workforce before those 3,000 shipments come through the system. They’ve had people laid off since Thanksgiving. If they wait too much longer they won’t be available at all. TForce can be proactive or reactive here.
They don't plan on adding shipments or pulling freight from the rail anytime soon. At least that's what he said on the earnings call. From what I recall, he said '24 will be flat due to focusing on more cost reduction. After that maybe we can focus on increasing shipments.

They don't plan on adding shipments or pulling freight from the rail anytime soon. At least that's what he said on the earnings call. From what I recall, he said '24 will be flat due to focusing on more cost reduction. After that maybe we can focus on increasing shipments.
Then I’m telling these guys on layoff to look elsewhere. They can’t support their families being on standby half the year and brought in for vacation replacement.

Alain Bedard was the first Executive that came out and publicly stated what most of us thought, that UPS Used UPS freight as a bargaining chip……..
Actually UPS package ceo Carol Tome’ publicly told all of us, a year before Bedard said anything, that ups freight was the “loss leader” for ups package, and that “we (ups freight) were lucky that someone (TFI) wanted to purchase us!!”

It is crazy how many people come on here and hate on this company.
I’ve worked at half a dozen LTL’s over 35 years……and in my opinion

Overnight was trash in the final years….

UPS FREIGHT completely trashed the rest of this company for the sake of propping up package…$$$…!!!

Now TFI is running it like trash.

Keeping all the lying managers, who tell the CEO everything is great…. When in fact the place is falling apart at the seams!!!

Junk equipment!!
Junk buildings!!
Firing all the mechanics!!!
Incapable of moving any freight without damaging it!!!!

I can go on and on, do you honestly expect employees to come on here and blow smoke up your arse….?!!!

He also wants to start focusing on service by reducing rails and putting that work on our own employees, rails are cheaper, but they create service failures, he stated the top 3 LTL companies do not use rails and the only way to compete with them is to focus on service.

The top 3 LTL companies absolutely use rails.

Wow. If i had not found another job after being laid off this long id probably have to file bankruptcy. I would probably not come back even if called for fear it would happen again.

Wow. If i had not found another job after being laid off this long id probably have to file bankruptcy. I would probably not come back even if called for fear it would happen again.
And you know it will happen again too. Especially if this ABF purchase rumor unfolds. It won’t be good for anyone on the bottom no matter how we look at it. I’ve moved on, that’s for sure. I didn’t sign on to be vacation replacement. I’m owed two discretionary days from last year they won’t pay me because I’m still considered inactive so after they recall me I’m cashing in those days and after I see it in the account then they’ll get my notice. I’m not giving them anything.

My company stopped shipping with TF 3 months ago every shipment is a week or 2 late they would tell us "Not enough drivers" the drivers are nice guys when they show up, but don't ever ship anything time sensitive or fragile it will be late and damaged upon arrival.