TForce | The last thing you would want to hear....

Yeah, that conference call was a complete joke. They literally had next to nothing to report other than some minor wins. I guess they had to throw something in there in order to not look like complete fools. You could tell at the speed with which Taylor read that prepared statement that he couldn’t wait to get off the call. I would have too given what little has been accomplished. Just pathetic! They’ll likely push out their tentative agreement one to two weeks before the current contract expires. Bedard should just buy ABF already and merge it with TForce Freight and avoid this cluster f**k!
They have a NDA, those tidbits where agreed to share bullet points. They would havé been better off not having the call. I have more info than that, just from rumors. Either way, if you are expecting some dramatic new great contract, that isn't happening. They guys at my terminal don't care, they just want this over and go to work , take care of their families, they aren't interested in the great American labor movement and the industry standard.

They have a NDA, those tidbits were agreed to share bullet points. They would havé been better off not having the call. I have more info than that, just from rumors. Either way, if you are expecting some dramatic new great contract, that isn't happening. They guys at my terminal don't care, they just want this over and go to work , take care of their families, they aren't interested in the great American labor movement and the industry standard.
Yes, this company has many drivers on a very short leash.

Oh I get it TFORCE DRIVER……I came from package car before I upgraded to driving tractors so I understand the UPS mentality.

1) UPS brought Overnite only to add a SERVICE……LTL.
UPSF was never considered more than that. Just like you add a SERVICE you can delete it . This is why UPSF was NEVER mixed with or allowed to sniff the package operation while only spending money on it to provide the SERVICE.
2) This SERVICE was needed to put the UPS sales team on equal footing with the FEDEX sales force which was getting and poaching customers using the “ we can take everything you need to ship” pitch having a LTL.
3) UPS NEVER cared or even thought about the LTL business other than to be able to offer the same SERVICES as FEDEX. YES they did use UPSF at a price giveaway to get customers packages and once the rubber met the road and it was time to invest money into UPSF it was time to sack the SERVICE…..

I chuckle to myself when I would hear lifelong LTL people talking about UPS should do this or that to get more LTL customers and bigger.
It was never their intention to do anything in LTL.
Drivers only realized all this after we got sacked.
"Oh I get it TFORCE DRIVER……I came from package car before I upgraded to driving tractors so I understand the UPS mentality."
How many times have i heard this from an employee over the years, "i came from Package" big deal. And a couple didn't know what intergrad was.
"1) UPS brought Overnite only to add a SERVICE……LTL."
Well, why else would they buy an LTL company? Who do you think you are talking to?
"2) This SERVICE was needed to put the UPS sales team on equal footing with the FEDEX sales force which was getting and poaching customers using the “ we can take everything you need to ship” pitch having a LTL."
You can't compare UPS to FedEx. FedEx was successful with LTL, where UPS failed miserably."
"UPS never cared"
Yes, you are 100% correct on this. We found that out mid- first contract.

"I chuckle to myself when I would hear lifelong LTL people... Blah Blah Blah...
Then don't listen to us, go back to package where you belong.
This is what we are dealing with, being with the company pre and post UPS... everyone else knew what would happen, you and the rest had a crystal ball...
The first couple years were all the predictions, then as the years passed, silence. Now... back out of the woodwork you rats come.
Yeah yeah, I know... be positive this and be positive that, well this isn't a situation for thinking about rainbows and unicorns.
I'm G@@@@@ed tired of all these know- it- alls telling us "lifelong LTL people" what happened in the past, whats happening now, and what will happen in the future.
Kick rocks back to Package.

Yes, this company has many drivers on a very short leash.
No one cares about it any longer. Punch in work, punch out, go home. That is it. As I have said , what you value, another may find worthless. No reason to be sore about it, it is just the way things are. Myself I pay dues for just cause termination, and seniority protection. The pay and benefits are always gonna be around the same as every other company. Our medical is better, but many make slightly more per hour/mile. They have a 401k with a match, we have a pension. Being in a union doesn't change the profit earnings of an ltl company, so I don't expect some economic miracle to pay for unrealistic expectations.

No one cares about it any longer. Punch in work, punch out, go home. That is it. As I have said , what you value, another may find worthless. No reason to be sore about it, it is just the way things are. Myself I pay dues for just cause termination, and seniority protection. The pay and benefits are always gonna be around the same as every other company. Our medical is better, but many make slightly more per hour/mile. They have a 401k with a match, we have a pension. Being in a union doesn't change the profit earnings of an ltl company, so I don't expect some economic miracle to pay for unrealistic expectations.
The modest pay increases people would like aren’t unrealistic.

So much tough talk but reality always wins . Guys aren't going to throw away a good job because they didn't get what you wanted.
Where is this good job you speak of? This place is falling apart, management treats the employees like dirt.
either we get a good contract or we walk the line, it's that simple. If the doors close most of us will be better off
elsewhere anyway,....

Where is this good job you speak of? This place is falling apart, management treats the employees like dirt.
either we get a good contract or we walk the line, it's that simple. If the doors close most of us will be better off
elsewhere anyway,....
Ridiculous. The company (TFI) has done everything they said they were gonna do.
They dumped the crap account's, they closed rural and overlapping terminals, they have gotten more new equipment in 2 year than ups did in 15 years. They are going paperless. The fact is they are more like overnite than UPS. They stopped going to rural points more than once or twice a month. In 2018 there were 10500 teamster employees at upsf, the operation ratio was 98.7. Today at TFF there are about 7000 teamsters and the operation ratio is below . 90. That all happened by just cutting away the fat. Every terminal has seen 1/3 of it's employees laid off.
I can only speak for myself and the sentiment at my terminal, but the average employee is older and has a decade or decades with the company. They don't believe in the union leadership and they believe what the company says , because TFI has done everything they said they were gonna do.
The same guys who were saying strike and shut it down in 2018(if they still have a job here) are the same ones in 2023. Rationality won in 2018 and it will win in 2023.

This is what we are dealing with, being with the company pre and post UPS... everyone else knew what would happen, you and the rest had a crystal ball...
The first couple years were all the predictions, then as the years passed, silence. Now... back out of the woodwork you rats come.
Yeah yeah, I know... be positive this and be positive that, well this isn't a situation for thinking about rainbows and unicorns.
I'm G@@@@@ed tired of all these know- it- alls telling us "lifelong LTL people" what happened in the past, whats happening now, and what will happen in the future.
I talk to several people nightly, and others not quite as frequently, all active TFI drivers, the other night as soon as I answered the phone an active Steward said, "you should be glad you retired". I thought about that, and I must agree, 44 yrs. in the business, almost 30 with Overnite and what it morphed into and he was right.
History can be a valuable teacher when staring into an unknown future, when Union Pacific bought OVNT there was hope, when OVNT went public, there was hope, when UPS took over there was a real expectation of greatness, now with a Foreign company, TFI, there is little hope beyond the status quo. Union Pacific bought OVNT thinking they would turn it into a mega carrier through its intermodal container operation, failed. A group of OVNT executives took the Company public and with the help of Leo Suggs, {love him or hate him} they brought a nearly bankrupt Company to profitability in a few short years. Then came UPS, the "tightest ship in the shipping industry", it looked good at the beginning with a huge increase in pay and stellar benefits thanks to the Teamsters. They bungled their way for 17+ yrs. and sold at fire sale prices.

Last edited:
I talk to several people nightly, and others not quite as frequently, all active TFI drivers, the other night as soon as I answered the phone an active Steward said, "you should be glad you retired". I thought about that, and I must agree, 44 yrs. in the business, almost 30 with Overnite and what it morphed into and he was right.
History can be a valuable teacher when staring into an unknown future, when Union Pacific bought OVNT there was hope, when OVNT went public, there was hope, when UPS took over there was a real expectation of greatness, now with a Foreign company, TFI, there is little hope beyond the status quo. Union Pacific bought OVNT thinking they would turn it into a mega carrier through its intermodal container operation, failed. A group of OVNT executives took the Company public and with the help of Leo Suggs, {love him or hate him} they brought a nearly bankrupt Company to profitability in a few short years. Then came UPS, the "tightest ship in the shipping industry", it looked good at the beginning with a huge increase in pay and stellar benefits thanks to the teamsters. They bungled their way for 17+ yrs. and sold at fire sale prices.
I will agree, the UPS time was a complete disappointment, but that illusion ended for me a decade ago. The shirt has changed 3 times, the company remains the same. You deliver freight, you pu freight. All the contract drama will be over shortly and some will be butt hurt and most will just go on as usual.

Along comes TFI, strictly profit driven at all costs, they perceive the Company as poorly managed, restrictive work rules and antiquated equipment. They declared they want a 70 OR and they will get it, or they will close it. You and I mean nothing to modern big business and that is world-wide. Our Union bangs the war drums hoping to get a tsunami of support among the members, and it seems to be working. History is not on our side, with right to work, record inflation, high interest rates, and the cost of living soaring they know it will collapse as soon as a paycheck or two is missed. The strike vote was nearly unanimous which is good, but really how many will bear it out?
What I am saying is I pray that my former friends and colleagues come out of this with a better life and safer more secure future but it will be difficult for most.
I hope I am wrong and a white knight, {or green} will save a Company worth saving... Be safe all.............

Along comes TFI, strictly profit driven at all costs, they perceive the Company as poorly managed, restrictive work rules and antiquated equipment. They declared they want a 70 OR and they will get it, or they will close it. You and I mean nothing to modern big business and that is world-wide. Our Union bangs the war drums hoping to get a tsunami of support among the members, and it seems to be working. History is not on our side, with right to work, record inflation, high interest rates, and the cost of living soaring they know it will collapse as soon as a paycheck or two is missed. The strike vote was nearly unanimous which is good, but really how many will bear it out?
What I am saying is I pray that my former friends and colleagues come out of this with a better life and safer more secure future but it will be difficult for most.
I hope I am wrong and a white knight, {or green} will save a Company worth saving... Be safe all.............
The stated OR was in the low 80's.And never once did TFI threaten to shut it down.
There isn't going to be a strike. It is all just bravado and posturing. I have always noticed that people will say almost anything when there are no real consequences, but when their ass is in a sling and their faced with reality, all the snappy dialogue changes.

You sir should seek therapy for your anger. I don't believe in blocking people, but you are one miserable human being........

Ridiculous. The company (TFI) has done everything they said they were gonna do.
They dumped the crap account's, they closed rural and overlapping terminals, they have gotten more new equipment in 2 year than ups did in 15 years. They are going paperless. The fact is they are more like overnite than UPS. They stopped going to rural points more than once or twice a month. In 2018 there were 10500 teamster employees at upsf, the operation ratio was 98.7. Today at TFF there are about 7000 teamsters and the operation ratio is below . 90. That all happened by just cutting away the fat. Every terminal has seen 1/3 of it's employees laid off.
I can only speak for myself and the sentiment at my terminal, but the average employee is older and has a decade or decades with the company. They don't believe in the union leadership and they believe what the company says , because TFI has done everything they said they were gonna do.
The same guys who were saying strike and shut it down in 2018(if they still have a job here) are the same ones in 2023. Rationality won in 2018 and it will win in 2023.
2018 UPS would have shut it down! They did a reverse strike and cleared the freight out of the system! UPS didn’t want us! That would have been a way for them to save face!

2018 UPS would have shut it down! They did a reverse strike and cleared the freight out of the system! UPS didn’t want us! That would have been a way for them to save face!
The IBT did nothing, no reaction. I remember that morning like yesterday. That was the last day I ever put any belief or trust in a teamsters. The teamsters union is a business, just like the trucking company.

That was all Hoffa Jr……we shall see with O’Brien.
True, but O'Brien was a minion of Hoffa for years. He seems only interested in UPS, we aren't even a concern. The last person I am trusting is a lifetime union official . They haven't earned my trust.