FedEx Freight | The Union Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's certainly likely the PRIMARY reason, but not the only reason. What if your neighbor started telling you how you have to run your household? Well, at least said you have to sit down and negotiate in good faith about how your household is run?

Quite a simplistic viewpoint, I could pay you the same wage, same benefit package and lose money just because the reduced flexibility and strict work rules. The only one guaranteed to gain from successful organization is the IBT.
But Ex, but Ex! I thought the often touted Management Clause, which FedEx would certainly require, would keep the union from effecting the running (managing) of the business.

We were told that many things would be covered by such a clause, thereby limiting the ability of the Union to bargain for most things, beyond the relm of compensation, corrective action, and some rules.

On one hand, we're told the Union will hamstring the company. On the other hand we're told that the Union CAN'T tell the company how to run it's business. Which is it?

Last edited:
Let's set the facts straight. Whatever you get we 3 get as long as it's beneficial the union is not going to tell the company no if it benefits us.2nd I don't know where you come up with a revote the voting is over and the 3 of us won . 3rd do not speak for those 3 terminals because they have already spoken.
It's certainly likely the PRIMARY reason, but not the only reason. What if your neighbor started telling you how you have to run your household? Well, at least said you have to sit down and negotiate in good faith about how your household is run?

Quite a simplistic viewpoint, I could pay you the same wage, same benefit package and lose money just because the reduced flexibility and strict work rules. The only one guaranteed to gain from successful organization is the IBT.
Just consider it an HOA!!

Tell that to someone that lives in a subdivision with a HOA.

The employees would gain more, so there goes the guarantee you talk about. Why are you against employees making a better pay package? The union wouldn't have work rules that would hurt the company financially unless it was about workplace safety. I love the reduced flexibility quote, you should have just said the fair way for everyone.

I think cerain states have ruledthat Ground drivers are employees. We like FACTS sometimes.
So what's your point?
Most companies want NOTHING to do with unions, that's why 93% of companies are non-union....Fred/FedEx is no different.

Express drivers ARE covered under the RLA, that doesn't stop them from organizing if they so choose.

Ground drivers ARE independent contractors, not company employees.

I think cerain states have ruledthat Ground drivers are employees. We like FACTS sometimes.
Fedex Ground drivers are contractors...from package trks to semi's. Contractors have drivers who drive for them, thus making them company drivers to the contractor but NOT FedEx.
For example, I've got a friend who has 5 trucks on at ground and he owns 7 bids. He has 7 guys who drive for him using those 5 trucks...they work for him, not FedEx Ground. FedEx Ground pays his company for the service that they provide, then he pays his drivers using his company account. Their check has his company name on it, not FedEx Ground. Their wages and bennies are provided by his company, not FedEx Ground.
It's no different than a UPSF driver pulling a trailer for Auto Zone...the driver works for UPSF, not Auto Zone. His check says UPSF, not Auto Zone. By him pulling this trailer, does that make him an Auto Zone employee? No.

Actually, we aren't having a membership drive. That said however, if you'd like to join now you're welcome to do so. I'm done with the whole union debate on trucking boards myself so you'll have to catch up with me at the February monthly membership meeting at the union hall. Keep posting though buddy, because the more you post, the more I have incentive to vote on an inferior contract that gives you a pay cut.
No membership drive...neither you nor I are that naive...but with the small number you've been able to accumulate, I probably wouldn't admit it either.
Thanks for the invite but I'll pass...they wouldn't like me at the local hall, I know which questions to ask.
Have fun at your monthly meeting. BTW, how many turned out for your little photo op? Been waiting to see the pics!
Your last sentence shows your lack of knowledge on the whole issue, no need to respond any further.

But Ex, but Ex! I thought the often touted Management Clause, which FedEx would certainly require, would keep the union from effecting the running (managing) of the business.

We were told that many things would be covered by such a clause, thereby limiting the ability of the Union to bargain for most things, beyond the relm of compensation, corrective action, and some rules.

On one hand, we're told the Union will hamstring the company. On the other hand we're told that the Union CAN'T tell the company how to run it's business. Which is it?

The difference is certain topics are MANDATORY topics of negotiation. While many topics are not mandatory, they are often negotiated. Work rules are in every union contract I have ever laid eyes upon.

No membership drive...neither you nor I are that naive...but with the small number you've been able to accumulate, I probably wouldn't admit it either.
Thanks for the invite but I'll pass...they wouldn't like me at the local hall, I know which questions to ask.
Have fun at your monthly meeting. BTW, how many turned out for your little photo op? Been waiting to see the pics!
Your last sentence shows your lack of knowledge on the whole issue, no need to respond any further.

Go ahead and ask your questions, I'll try and answer them for you. I'll answer them truthfully to the best of my knowledge. I don't claim to know everything, but after 33 years in the union, many as a steward, I know a little bit. Go ahead and ask.

Tell that to someone that lives in a subdivision with a HOA.

Your HOA tells you what color you can paint your house, they don't tell you what to have for dinner or what time the kids go to bed.

30yearman said:
The employees would gain more, so there goes the guarantee you talk about. Why are you against employees making a better pay package?

No guarantee you would gain more. I'm not against employees making a better pay package. In fact, I believe they should be paid better, but that it should be based strictly on their merit and the free market.

30yearman said:
The union wouldn't have work rules that would hurt the company financially unless it was about workplace safety.

Rail service and PT.

Your HOA tells you what color you can paint your house, they don't tell you what to have for dinner or what time the kids go to bed.

No guarantee you would gain more. I'm not against employees making a better pay package. In fact, I believe they should be paid better, but that it should be based strictly on their merit and the free market.

Rail service and PT.
The HOA has a lot more say than what color you can paint your house.
The employees would make more or the company wouldn't be fighting it.
Are you serious,the company wanted these, not the union.

Your wasting your time on that guy, he doesn't matter either way! He just likes to get on here and puff his chest out like someone gives a rats behind! He has just a hand full of people who listens to his lop sided opinion, and a small hand at that!

The HOA house painting issue was a rebuttal to your comment about the HOA telling you how to run your household.....they don't. They may control what color you can/can't paint it. They don't tell you what is for dinner and what time the kids go to bed.

The company will fight it if it decreases their financial advantages relative to their competition. Period. That's why they fight it.

Absolutely serious. Of course the company wanted these (PT and Rail). You said the union wouldn't have work rules unless they were safety related, I threw those two out as simple work rules that will be addressed...limiting how much PT and Rail takes away company flexibility (tells them how they must run their business) and has nothing to do with driver safety.

The HOA house painting issue was a rebuttal to your comment about the HOA telling you how to run your household.....they don't. They may control what color you can/can't paint it. They don't tell you what is for dinner and what time the kids go to bed.

The company will fight it if it decreases their financial advantages relative to their competition. Period. That's why they fight it.

Absolutely serious. Of course the company wanted these (PT and Rail). You said the union wouldn't have work rules unless they were safety related, I threw those two out as simple work rules that will be addressed...limiting how much PT and Rail takes away company flexibility (tells them how they must run their business) and has nothing to do with driver safety.
But it does have everything to do with taking away work from the drivers, the more cheap P/T they use the less work they have for their own company drivers! But hey, what does that matter? As long as their filling their pockets up!!! Right!!

But it does have everything to do with taking away work from the drivers, the more cheap P/T they use the less work they have for their own company drivers! But hey, what does that matter? As long as their filling their pockets up!!! Right!!
But that's not how the PT's are used, they're not there to take away work from the drivers, they're there to fill the lanes where only one side has freight...it's not cost effective for ANY company to pull empties down the road.

Fedex Ground drivers are contractors...from package trks to semi's. Contractors have drivers who drive for them, thus making them company drivers to the contractor but NOT FedEx.
For example, I've got a friend who has 5 trucks on at ground and he owns 7 bids. He has 7 guys who drive for him using those 5 trucks...they work for him, not FedEx Ground. FedEx Ground pays his company for the service that they provide, then he pays his drivers using his company account. Their check has his company name on it, not FedEx Ground. Their wages and bennies are provided by his company, not FedEx Ground.
It's no different than a UPSF driver pulling a trailer for Auto Zone...the driver works for UPSF, not Auto Zone. His check says UPSF, not Auto Zone. By him pulling this trailer, does that make him an Auto Zone employee? No.
So let me ask this question, how come FedEx has to pay out 165 M for this accident, and not the contractor?
http://krqe.com/2015/01/23/santa-fe-jury-awards-fedex-crash-victims-record-165m/

But that's not how the PT's are used, they're not there to take away work from the drivers, they're there to fill the lanes where only one side has freight...it's not cost effective for ANY company to pull empties down the road.
A company can right off empty miles as equipment alignment nessecity. If there pulling to many emptys I'd say was a planning issue on their part!

Exactly, and if the Teamsters' had their way they'd make sure a dues paying member would be pulling those empties from sea to shining sea.

They might not tell you what to eat but they can tell you where to eat, say if you wanted to eat in the front yard or driveway. Lets forget about the HOA, I don't even know how that got started.
They fight it because it costs them money. There financial advantage is paying there drivers less. Period. Well you're right about the work rules, I should of said if it's going to cost jobs. The union is not going to try and break the company, it wouldn't do any good if everyone was without a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.