FedEx Freight | The Union Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, everyone's insurance is getting worse (including yours), and I don't see it changing anytime soon. With that being said, I've never denied that your healthcare is better than ours but I have said that's the only thing you guys have over us. Is healthcare worth voting yes...NO, again, it's not worth all of the baggage that the IBT brings with them.

Yeah they are really getting worse around here. http://www.wvgazettemail.com/business/20160313/south-charleston-clinic-will-serve-union-members
:lmao::emoticon digging:

Don't forget wages and pension too. UPSF is your direct competitor and makes quite a bit more than you guys, especially road drivers.
FXF would have a contract similar if not better.
But, if all the "baggage that comes with the IBT" isn't worth that to you.....more power to ya.
Wrong answer...our road wages are close, we all work 5 days a week (even the Jr guys), and we're off every weekend, I'll take that over getting to work when I'm lucky which includes working Sat & Sun...no thanks.
As for pension, my retirement (our company matched 401k) is currently projected to payout more than UPSF's pension in my region. Is their 3K per month going to be enough 20-25 years from now?? My 401K will continue to grow to meet my needs depending on how I want to invest, the company nor the majority decides what's enough for me!!

No dues needed to enjoy great wages with a healthy retirement.....and no baggage to go along with it either!!

Our retirement didn't even meet its projection last year along with your 401k it's a stock market crash away from you working till you die. But hey you got it all figured out. As far as junior guys working yes if there is no work they will bring them and work them a few hours no different from being layed off because most can't make their bills with a couple hours a day. Our wages for road drivers aren't close another area your in denial.

Wrong answer...our road wages are close, we all work 5 days a week (even the Jr guys), and we're off every weekend, I'll take that over getting to work when I'm lucky which includes working Sat & Sun...no thanks.
As for pension, my retirement (our company matched 401k) is currently projected to payout more than UPSF's pension in my region. Is their 3K per month going to be enough 20-25 years from now?? My 401K will continue to grow to meet my needs depending on how I want to invest, the company nor the majority decides what's enough for me!!

No dues needed to enjoy great wages with a healthy retirement.....and no baggage to go along with it either!!

UPSF road drivers make around 5 cents a mile more than you. They will make around .72 a mile by 2018. Then they negotiate again.

As for the pension, those numbers are adjusted for inflation. It's$3000 in future dollars whatever that number comes out to be.

Your 401k comes out of your pocket. The match is weak. You putting away for your 401k gives you less spending money. The pension costs us nothing from our checks, although I put away 10% in a Teamsters 401k also.
Nothing special about your 401k. Anyone can open an etrade, Scott's trade etc etc and have an IRA account and have pretty much what you have with the exception of Fred's $30 a week he puts into yours.

UPSF road drivers make around 5 cents a mile more than you. They will make around .72 a mile by 2018. Then they negotiate again.

As for the pension, those numbers are adjusted for inflation. It's$3000 in future dollars whatever that number comes out to be.

Your 401k comes out of your pocket. The match is weak. You putting away for your 401k gives you less spending money. The pension costs us nothing from our checks, although I put away 10% in a Teamsters 401k also.
Nothing special about your 401k. Anyone can open an etrade, Scott's trade etc etc and have an IRA account and have pretty much what you have with the exception of Fred's $30 a week he puts into yours.

He also forgets the majority of our terminals make the bottom wage which is a farther gap. I don't even know what our road drivers make at bottom wage.

And let's not forget about that job 'security' that working without a CBA provides.

And again, come 2018 we won't be far behind then either....you see a pattern here??

Those "future dollars" still won't be as much as my projected returns.

Correct, the majority comes out of my pocket but the remainder is free money. Herein lies the problem with most Americans today, they're more worried about how much spending money they have now instead of how much retirement money they'll have later!! Ours is company matched, that's the difference between yours, Etrade, Scottrade, etc..., and I can assure you they put a lot more than $30 a week into mine!!

And let's not forget about that job 'security' that working without a CBA provides.
We have job security....the company doesn't fire anyone, people fire themselves!!

The only difference at union companies is that unions refuse to let people fire themselves because they need your dues money to bad to let you get fired...regardless of what type of employee you are.

And again, come 2018 we won't be far behind then either....you see a pattern here??

Correct, the majority comes out of my pocket but the remainder is free money. Herein lies the problem with most Americans today, they're more worried about how much spending money they have now instead of how much retirement money they'll have later!! Ours is company matched, that's the difference between yours, Etrade, Scottrade, etc..., and I can assure you they put a lot more than $30 a week into mine!!

Our match is in the form of a pension. We have a 401K plan too.
Between my 401k and pension, $3000 a month isn't even half. Not by a LONG shot.

If you want to compare retirement benefits, you need to compare the amount Fred matches and your pension to the Teamsters pension. What you put in yourself isn't a benefit.
With that said, Fred's match and pension doesn't come close.

Don't try and spin this. It's obvious you despise the union. That is your reason for not wanting to organize. But don't try and put a spin on your pay and benefits to try and make it look better than what it is.

Compared to your direct competitor, your pay and benefits are inferior. And that's thanks to the Teamsters. No way around it.

That really blows that no one else has a 401 besides you!!

If you want to compare retirement benefits, you need to compare the amount Fred matches and your pension to the Teamsters pension. What you put in yourself isn't a benefit.

Don't try and spin this. It's obvious you despise the union. That is your reason for not wanting to organize. But don't try and put a spin on your pay and benefits to try and make it look better than what it is.

Compared to your direct competitor, your pay and benefits are inferior. And that's thanks to the Teamsters. No way around it.

He is king of spin and denial. Nothing is changing in 2018 for you guys( except the co pay which you pointed out) but because he has nothing else to argue he is hung up on it. Your alls plan is not close to the Cadillac threshold anyways don't really know what he is talking about. Is sad that they have no facts just assumptions to bring to argument.

Again, that's my point....with my company matched 401K, along with our portable pension, $3000 a month won't be half of mine either!!

Your retirement is your responsibility...period. The problem guys have with our pension is that is was only instituted about 8(?) years ago, before then, the company offered a bigger percentage match toward our 401K. Guys who have 20 years with the company only have about 8 years in the pension which is why their projected payout is so little but they don't realize for years, our 401K was our retirement. Just because they either didn't contribute or they did and played it safe which resulted in small returns is their fault, no one else's!! Now they want the company to provide a secure retirement because they didn't plan for it themselves when they were given the opportunity!!

I don't despise the union, only the teamsters, there are other good unions out there.

Compared to our competitors, we're right in line with where we should be...we enjoy the best compensation package of all of the non-union carriers and we aren't far behind the union carriers....and we don't have to put up with the baggage that the IBT brings with them!!

Again, that's my point....with my company matched 401K, along with our portable pension, $3000 a month won't be half of mine either!!

Your retirement is your responsibility...period. The problem guys have with our pension is that is was only instituted about 8(?) years ago, before then, the company offered a bigger percentage match toward our 401K. Guys who have 20 years with the company only have about 8 years in the pension which is why their projected payout is so little but they don't realize for years, our 401K was our retirement. Just because they either didn't contribute or they did and played it safe which resulted in small returns is their fault, no one else's!! Now they want the company to provide a secure retirement because they didn't plan for it themselves when they were given the opportunity!!

I don't despise the union, only the teamsters, there are other good unions out there.

Compared to our competitors, we're right in line with where we should be...we enjoy the best compensation package of all of the non-union carriers and we aren't far behind the union carriers....and we don't have to put up with the baggage that the IBT brings with them!!

Wrong our great portable pension did not meet its own projections last year. Even if it does your numbers and theirs are skewed as usual they want to even figure in ss with our retirement projections it's a joke. It's built off hopes and dreams. Nobody wants to gamble with their retirement. No we are still behind other non-union carriers it's not just the union carriers. Like I said the majority of the terminals are behind so on average were behind.

We have job security....the company doesn't fire anyone, people fire themselves!!

The only difference at union companies is that unions refuse to let people fire themselves because they need your dues money to bad to let you get fired...regardless of what type of employee you are.
Really, red? Your company could fire you for anything. Even that extra-stinky fart you corked off in the TM's office yesterday (yeah, THAT one), and nobody would have your back. The Union isn't the end-all be-all, but the BA would argue on your behalf that stinky farts are a perfectly human characteristic, and is not a fireable offense.

Hey red your a fortune teller now. You have no idea what we will get in 2018. The same as you said about the 2 bonuses we get now. How's that going to be in july.

Really, red? Your company could fire you for anything. Even that extra-stinky fart you corked off in the TM's office yesterday (yeah, THAT one), and nobody would have your back. The Union isn't the end-all be-all, but the BA would argue on your behalf that stinky farts are a perfectly human characteristic, and is not a fireable offense.
Really 206?? My company also gave me yesterday (and TODAY) off because we don't work weekends, just another perk we enjoy. Great point, the union is NOT the be-all end-all but some like to claim it is. As for your hypothetical, had I actually farted in the TM's office, I would imagine he would've probably laughed, called me a few "choice" words, and ask me to get the hell out of his office...while laughing. Unlike your union environment where you're brainwashed into thinking management is the enemy, here we mostly have a good working relationship with management. In over 21 years, I've never known of anyone that didn't fire themselves.

Hey red when a grievance is filed who hears that grievance? I'll answer it for you the nlrb. So if that person keeps his job it's due to the labor law. But without union representation your on your own and being most of us being an at will work place with out that representation the company "can" terminate you for anything but race,religion etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.