FedEx Freight | The Union Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm quite familiar with how to browse our policies on the intranet.
Preferential treatment?? Really?? Then explain why I recently received a coaching session??
I haven't seen a hard copy of our policies since 2009.
Who would that be?? You obviously don't understand how the policies work!!

Coaching session :lmao: did you forget to polish the scm's shoes?

Most companies have attornies on retainer, no??
Any attorney will also tell you that you are a fool if you enter into employment for someone else and not have a contract. Being they're so great as to having been retained before anything has gone down, do you not think they offer solid advice and service?

Any attorney will also tell you that you are a fool if you enter into employment for someone else and not have a contract. Being they're so great as to having been retained before anything has gone down, do you not think they offer solid advice and service?
Before anything has gone down?? Really?? I'm guessing FX gets sued for various reasons by the general public on a daily basis. Having an attorney on retainer is smart business!!

Why can't fed speak for themselves no different right as you saying to everyone else that they can speak for their self. Same thing right. Oh wait you just said it's in there best interest to hire 3rd parties so then I guess it's in our best interest to hire our 3rd party.
FX is in the service industry, they don't specialize in law. Do attornies move their own packages/freight?? No, they hire a company to do it for them!!
It's not rocket science!!

Why can't fed speak for themselves no different right as you saying to everyone else that they can speak for their self. Same thing right. Oh wait you just said it's in there best interest to hire 3rd parties so then I guess it's in our best interest to hire our 3rd party.

Don't confuse our little buddy.

Your arguing just to argue, this is a ridiculous argument. The hire guys will cdl's to drive a truck, guys with accounting degrees for accounting and guys with law degrees for the law. I do like when someone points out where your wrong you just disappear for a while and completely ignore it.

I'm quite familiar with how to browse our policies on the intranet.
Preferential treatment?? Really?? Then explain why I recently received a coaching session??
I haven't seen a hard copy of our policies since 2009.
Who would that be?? You obviously don't understand how the policies work!!
Was your coaching for failed attempt at union busting?

FX is in the service industry, they don't specialize in law. Do attornies move their own packages/freight?? No, they hire a company to do it for them!!
It's not rocket science!!

Not to butt in on all the fun, but FedEx has quite an extensive Legal Dept, already on the payroll.

Contracted 3rd parties are all the rage nowadays, but not advisable (no benefit) for the workforce, right?

Not to butt in on all the fun, but FedEx has quite an extensive Legal Dept, already on the payroll.

Contracted 3rd parties are all the rage nowadays, but not advisable (no benefit) for the workforce, right?

It's not the same thing, you always want to draw a parallel but it's just not there. If Fedex is unhappy with there representation they can cancel that contract at the time of renewal (or sooner depending on the contract) can they do that with a union contract?

It's not the same thing, you always want to draw a parallel but it's just not there. If Fedex is unhappy with there representation they can cancel that contract at the time of renewal (or sooner depending on the contract) can they do that with a union contract?
You make a fair point JD.

But... the members can/could reject language in the contract that makes it difficult to reconsider the relationship. WE CAN LEARN from others mistakes.

You make a fair point JD.

But... the members can/could reject language in the contract that makes it difficult to reconsider the relationship. WE CAN LEARN from others mistakes.

No I don't think you can, the NLRB is very specific in the procedures to decertify a union. Plus trust me the union WILL NOT allow any such language that would allow a contract to be easily cancelled.

No I don't think you can, the NLRB is very specific in the procedures to decertify a union. Plus trust me the union WILL NOT allow any such language that would allow a contract to be easily cancelled.
It all relates to the term of the contract. I "seem to recall" the window for decert under a signed contract being 3 years. The union pushes for 5 year contract... In order to avoid this, simply make the contract coincide with the window, thus keeping all sides honest. You do a good job for us, no problem. Do a poor job, you risk... Well you know.

As a new customer, negotiating a new contract, leverage could be applied.

Feel free to look up the specifics per NLRB. I'm operating strictly on recall, and might be off slightly on the window, but not on the concept.

Where do you get that there is no parallels? Drivers were dissatisfied enough to vote for union representation because they felt they couldn't get results by themselves. If Fedex feels like they are being mistreated by the government they hire lawyers because they feel like they cannot get the results they want for/by themselves. If the union members don't get a first contract or vote no on a contract. they either decert or send out a strike vote. Its really that simple. Nothing can legally stop a member of FedEx from crossing a strike line with or without a contract. That's just my two cents I'm not fighting with you

Last edited:
This is exactly where I was leaning on this issue but you beat me to the punch...a union represents the employees and negotiate for a contract with the employer on behalf of the employees and if the employees aren't happy with said representation, you can't just fire or cancel the contract. In fact, not only will that representation fight tooth and nail to keep from being fired, they make it so difficult that it's almost impossible once they have a contract....not to mention they'll also discipline and fine you for trying to fire them!!

I'm sure the company doesn't experience these type of problems when they're not satisfied with one of their contractors and decide to cancel or not renew a contract!!

This is exactly where I was leaning on this issue but you beat me to the punch...a union represents the employees and negotiate for a contract with the employer on behalf of the employees and if the employees aren't happy with said representation, you can't just fire or cancel the contract. In fact, not only will that representation fight tooth and nail to keep from being fired, they make it so difficult that it's almost impossible once they have a contract....not to mention they'll also discipline and fine you for trying to fire them!!

I'm sure the company doesn't experience these type of problems when they're not satisfied with one of their contractors and decide to cancel or not renew a contract!!
I agree with some of that. If you're using the lawyers as an example you can fire your lawyer and get another one. I'm sure FedEx has done that before. The drivers can fire the union by either voting no on any contract if there ever even was one. Or go through decertification if they find that they are not going to get what they want.

I agree with some of that. If you're using the lawyers as an example you can fire your lawyer and get another one. I'm sure FedEx has done that before. The drivers can fire the union by either voting no on any contract if there ever even was one. Or go through decertification if they find that they are not going to get what they want.
Therein lies my point...you don't just fire your union. They'll fight decertification every step of the way (which we fully expect and are ready for) and for those members already under contract, there's smal windows where this must be done and if the union gets word, they'll discipline and/or fine those members for wanting to "fire" them.
How many cases do you know of where a legal firm filed a ULP because the company that had them on retainer decided not to renew their contract and instead go in a different direction or that same legal firm tried to issue fines toward said company because that company no longer wanted their services??
JD was correct, apples and oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.