FedEx Freight | The Union Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bls.gov/mlr/1998/04/art3full.pdf
The bureau of labor seems to differ with you. look at the graphs. Not that I'll ever change your mind.
What the report actually says is that "the ultimate beneficiary is the American consumer"...which is all of us!!
If you read the report in its entirity, it clearly explains what we allegedly lost on the front end (wages, etc) through deregulation, we gained on the back end (more competitively priced products in a global economy) through increased competition which produced lower shipping rates that benefits everyone. Of course the report only talks about the front side but I think if you research the back side, you'll find everything will average out just as the report alluded too.

What the report actually says is that "the ultimate beneficiary is the American consumer"...which is all of us!!
If you read the report in its entirity, it clearly explains what we allegedly lost on the front end (wages, etc) through deregulation, we gained on the back end (more competitively priced products in a global economy) through increased competition which produced lower shipping rates that benefits everyone. Of course the report only talks about the front side but I think if you research the back side, you'll find everything will average out just as the report alluded too.

This is your statement!

Really?? The industry as a whole has bettered ourselves and raised our standards of living more in the last 35 years (since deregulation) than it did in the first 60+ years (before deregulation) IMO.

I don't think you read the whole thing. Maybe just the first sentence. You said in our industry as a whole, it (deregulation) raised our standard of living iyo. That report does not say that at all. It lowered the standard of living for the freight industry workers but made things a bit cheaper for the population as a whole. That is my point. Not fighting with you because you keep reading things in there that it does not state. It says it lower shipping prices, it did not say that the savings got passed on to the consumer. You just assume that it did. You are also assuming that the savings would be enough to offset the difference in OUR pay. The report does show numbers on lost income though for people in our industry.

Last edited:
This is your statement!

Really?? The industry as a whole has bettered ourselves and raised our standards of living more in the last 35 years (since deregulation) than it did in the first 60+ years (before deregulation) IMO.

I don't think you read the whole thing. Maybe just the first sentence. You said in our industry as a whole, it (deregulation) raised our standard of living iyo. That report does not say that at all. It lowered the standard of living for the freight industry workers but made things a bit cheaper for the population as a whole. That is my point. Not fighting with you because you keep reading things in there that it does not state. It says it lower shipping prices, it did not say that the savings got passed on to the consumer. You just assume that it did. You are also assuming that the savings would be enough to offset the difference in OUR pay. The report does show numbers on lost income though for people in our industry.
Yes, I read the whole article and I was being nice with my response. Wrong, I said "more in the last 35 years (since deregulation) than it did in the first 60+ years (before deregulation)."
The link you provided clearly said in the last paragraph of the first section " examines...the last 30 years" (16 after/14 before) and gave numbers for the first 16 years of deregulation....its been another 20 years since that report was released, therefor, its data is insufficient since it covers less than 50% of the timeframe we're talking about after deregulation and only 14 of 60+ years before deregulation!!
So the article didn't say the savings weren't passed on to the consumer?? Obviously you didn't read the subtitle..."the ultimate beneficiary is the American consumer"...what do you think that means??

Yes, I read the whole article and I was being nice with my response. Wrong, I said "more in the last 35 years (since deregulation) than it did in the first 60+ years (before deregulation)."
The link you provided clearly said in the last paragraph of the first section " examines...the last 30 years" (16 after/14 before) and gave numbers for the first 16 years of deregulation....its been another 20 years since that report was released, therefor, its data is insufficient since it covers less than 50% of the timeframe we're talking about after deregulation and only 14 of 60+ years before deregulation!!
So the article didn't say the savings weren't passed on to the consumer?? Obviously you didn't read the subtitle..."the ultimate beneficiary is the American consumer"...what do you think that means??
Not everyone got the benefits of it! It flat out says the freight industry suffered the brunt of the beating. You just change your answers to fit that description that you want! You said the trucking industry improved. You want me to show articals proving you wrong for the current trucking industry your on. I just posted this to prove you wrong and I did that. anybody here can read what it says.

Not everyone got the benefits of it! It flat out says the freight industry suffered the brunt of the beating. You just change your answers to fit that description that you want! You said the trucking industry improved. You want me to show articals proving you wrong for the current trucking industry your on. I just posted this to prove you wrong and I did that. anybody here can read what it says.
Wrong, I said the trucking industry as a whole has bettered ourselves and we've raised our standards of living...which is fact.
You continue to focus only on wages and bennies but the LTL industry as a whole since deregulation has seen shipping rates declined by 10%-20% in the first two years, service and quality of service has improved dramatically, complaints of drivers as a whole are non-existent as compared to the 70's, increased competition created more jobs (more than double by 1990 than there were in 1980), major gains to the economy including a savings of around $62 Billion per year by 1987 according to a report by the DOT which is contributed to a more flexible, on-time delivery service that allowed companies to drastically reduce on-hand inventories, just to name a few!!
For every article you post claiming one thing, I can find another article with opposing views so that point is useless.

Now to wages and bennies...before deregulation, union companies paid their employees around 50% more than other industries. That statement is misleading IMO when we look at what other industries existed back then...cotton mills, low paying manufacturing jobs, etc, most that have now been shipped overseas and replaced with high paying, high tech jobs.

I base my opinions on real life experiences, not someone else's opinion in an article with an agenda...I earn more than most of the people I graduated high school with that went on to college and got their degrees, some in those high tech fields, and my bennies are also better than what most of them have. I can't deny that unions offer better healthcare than non-union companies, but compared to those in other fields, they wished they enjoyed the insurance and bennies that I currently enjoy!!

Wrong, I said the trucking industry as a whole has bettered ourselves and we've raised our standards of living...which is fact.
You continue to focus only on wages and bennies but the LTL industry as a whole since deregulation has seen shipping rates declined by 10%-20% in the first two years, service and quality of service has improved dramatically, complaints of drivers as a whole are non-existent as compared to the 70's, increased competition created more jobs (more than double by 1990 than there were in 1980), major gains to the economy including a savings of around $62 Billion per year by 1987 according to a report by the DOT which is contributed to a more flexible, on-time delivery service that allowed companies to drastically reduce on-hand inventories, just to name a few!!
For every article you post claiming one thing, I can find another article with opposing views so that point is useless.

Now to wages and bennies...before deregulation, union companies paid their employees around 50% more than other industries. That statement is misleading IMO when we look at what other industries existed back then...cotton mills, low paying manufacturing jobs, etc, most that have now been shipped overseas and replaced with high paying, high tech jobs.

I base my opinions on real life experiences, not someone else's opinion in an article with an agenda...I earn more than most of the people I graduated high school with that went on to college and got their degrees, some in those high tech fields, and my bennies are also better than what most of them have. I can't deny that unions offer better healthcare than non-union companies, but compared to those in other fields, they wished they enjoyed the insurance and bennies that I currently enjoy!!
Wage & bennies that's it for drivers. Who cares if the service got better we move it from point a to point b all set up by management....

Believe what you want. I'm not fighting with you. I'm just exposing another opinion to the story. I'm never going to agree with you and you will never agree with me on this issue. That I know we can agree on!

Wage & bennies that's it for drivers. Who cares if the service got better we move it from point a to point b all set up by management....
Your reply explains why union LTL companies have trouble competing in today's market...as drivers, all you're worried about is wages and bennies!!
Perhaps if you focused more on providing a better service for your customers, you'd gain and retain more market share/customers and you wouldn't have to agree to take concessions since your company would have the money to pay you the wages and bennies that you desire!!

Last edited:
Your reply explains why union LTL companies have trouble competing in today's market...as drivers, all you're worried about is wages and bennies!!
Perhaps if you focused more on providing a better service for your customers, you'd gain and retain more market share/customers and you wouldn't have to agree to take comsessions since your company would have the money to pay you the wages and bennies that you desire!!

What is comsessions? On second thought maybe I don't want to know.:hilarious:

You really shouldn't throw stones...Have you learned nothing?

So sayeth the Old Dominion driver... Since you work for a company with a policy like economic termination, it might be prudent for you guys to organize. Especially considering your company can say "YOUR OUT!!!" at any time without recall rights....

So sayeth the Old Dominion driver... Since you work for a company with a policy like economic termination, it might be prudent for you guys to organize. Especially considering your company can say "YOUR OUT!!!" at any time without recall rights....

That may very well be a valid point, but he's pointing out that CT is poking at Red for misspelling something when he himself is lucky to form a sentence. It's a childish pointless distraction from the real subject.

Reactions: Ump
What JD said. Easy big fella.

Your sure about this? 100% sure or are you assuming we don't give priority to laid off workers. Because we do. The difference is you have to reapply. But: any case if I was off for more then a month, I'd move on anyway. I'm not tied into being employed by anyone and putting my life on hold waiting for a phone call for the honor of working for them.

As for views/hits per day, this thread is like a soap opera: As the World Turns here at FXFE, the Young and the Restless use the Guiding Light to navigate their way through The Days of Our Lives....and most "watchers" tune in to see what's going to happen next.

Pretty creative reply there, Red... Kinda funny! :biglaugh:

So now, we're reduced (or would it be elevated) to a cast of characters... I'm sure Jeff (site proprietor), especially appreciates the entertainment value! :1036316054:

...Perhaps if you focused more on providing a better service for your customers, you'd gain and retain more market share/customers and you wouldn't have to agree to take concessions since your company would have the money to pay you the wages and bennies that you desire!!

Red, I could show you where being the best in customer service, as well as being the industry market leader, does not necessarily translate into top of industry wages/benefits. Even within the company, being the best performing location, contributes little, if any to the workers bottom line. In fact, the highest performing, just might be at the lowest scale... Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.