ABF | To all members that are struggling with this decision

papajohn

TB Veteran
Credits
To all members that are struggling with this decision:

This is a Decision for you to make.

I mean this with no Disrespect to our Management, the IBT and local unions, but Management has their own agenda, as do the IBT, and our local unions, and that is to get a contract passed. They have nothing to lose if this passes. They won’t lose any wages, health benefits, or their pension.

What’s best for you:

Only you know what is best for you and your family. Read the facts, and vote on that, not what somebody is trying to sell. People are trying to sell that the end of the world is coming if this contract isn’t passed, they have their own agenda, and really are not worried about yours. ONLY YOU KNOW WHATS BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... There will be life after this contract no matter how it turns out. BTW One vote is not going to pass this contract or defeat it. It will take the majority, so we all live with what happens good or bad……

The Contract:

This contract will be for 5 years. Do yourself a favor read every line, don’t assume, and if I was you I would look for the worst, hope for the best.

Fear

Don’t vote with Fear. The decision you make will be the right one for you. Don’t worry about YRC, They have their own problems. We need to decide this first, and then we can worry about what could happen later. I know the opponents of this are trying to put fear in your decision, DON’T LET THEM. You know what’s best for you and your family, nobody else knows your situation better. DON’T MAKE THIS DECISION ON THE FEAR TACTIC. READ AND DECIDE WHATS BEST FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not going to tell you to vote yes or no, that Is your responsibility to get the facts, and make an informed Decision

Good luck with your Decision, and whatever your decision is, it will be the right decision for you and your family.

To all members that are struggling with this decision:

This is a Decision for you to make.

I mean this with no Disrespect to our Management, the IBT and local unions, but Management has their own agenda, as do the IBT, and our local unions, and that is to get a contract passed. They have nothing to lose if this passes. They won’t lose any wages, health benefits, or their pension.

What’s best for you:

Only you know what is best for you and your family. Read the facts, and vote on that, not what somebody is trying to sell. People are trying to sell that the end of the world is coming if this contract isn’t passed, they have their own agenda, and really are not worried about yours. ONLY YOU KNOW WHATS BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... There will be life after this contract no matter how it turns out. BTW One vote is not going to pass this contract or defeat it. It will take the majority, so we all live with what happens good or bad……

The Contract:

This contract will be for 5 years. Do yourself a favor read every line, don’t assume, and if I was you I would look for the worst, hope for the best.

Fear

Don’t vote with Fear. The decision you make will be the right one for you. Don’t worry about YRC, They have their own problems. We need to decide this first, and then we can worry about what could happen later. I know the opponents of this are trying to put fear in your decision, DON’T LET THEM. You know what’s best for you and your family, nobody else knows your situation better. DON’T MAKE THIS DECISION ON THE FEAR TACTIC. READ AND DECIDE WHATS BEST FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not going to tell you to vote yes or no, that Is your responsibility to get the facts, and make an informed Decision

Good luck with your Decision, and whatever your decision is, it will be the right decision for you and your family.

Great post and even better advice! Good Luck to ALL and remember why Monday is a holiday!

My family says vote no

My family says no to, but I was just trying to make a point. We all have to make the decision, like it or not. The decision we will make is the one that we are going to have to live with. and it should be our decision, and not made from pressure from others...

Great post papajohn you hit the nail on the head this is the dilemma of every ABF Teamster in this vote. Whatever the outcome we will band together as Teamsters and deal with the choice of the majority.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"--FDR I will not be a victim, I will vote NO & I'm ready to live with whatever circumstances come with my decision. I would not however be able to look at the man in the mirror if I voted for what I truly believe to be wrong out of fear or the feeling of being powerless !!

It's a no brainer. Fear is a good thing. The fear of YRC buying ABF overrides every thing. The outcome is clear.You cannot win with out union support. A yes vote would insure that you would not be bought out by YRC

quote from the IBT news letter:
4) the wage reduction can be terminated by
TNFINC if the company files for bankruptcy
or is sold;

A no vote would guarantee it. there is no doubt about it

It's a no brainer. Fear is a good thing. The fear of YRC buying ABF overrides every thing. The outcome is clear.You cannot win with out union support. A yes vote would insure that you would not be bought out by YRC

It says it "can" be terminated, not it "will" be terminated. They use that vague language for a reason, it makes the item meaningless. There is no guarantee in that language.

With all due respect, fear is not an option when voting on something this important............... I am not afraid of YRC buying ABF if it is going to happen... Then it's going to happen, don't matter if it is passed or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. The wage reduction CAN be terminated by TNFINC. Nowhere does it say that it WILL be terminated.

There are no guarantees, that is going to happen...

Learn to control, what you can control!
No reason to rationalize and waste energy on anything you cannot control!
NO! Exactly the way I voted on YRCF "Fear" proposal!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been in this situation before and you can give till it hurts and it will never be enough. The company will just keep coming back for more and that won't save your job. ABF does not distinguish who you are as a person it's a business. I can honestly say that we have a lot of good workers and won't have a problem finding a job, but keep your self respect and stand up for what is right, your family.

Christ Almighty!
You are literate? Right?
I only agreed with the prior poster.
Which is VOTE NO!!!
No BS about it! THANK YOU!

You seem be to a religious man and believe in Christ. But do you really believe a no vote will restore the status quo? Or for that matter change anything for the better? Surely you don't believe these concessions will be renegotiated up in any way?

You seem be to a religious man and believe in Christ. But do you really believe a no vote will restore the status quo? Or for that matter change anything for the better? Surely you don't believe these concessions will be renegotiated up in any way?

I believe it can and will go back into negotiations, If is is just about money then there should not be a problem getting rid of some of these demoralizing supplements.

JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE TRYING TO PUT US TO OUR KNEES DON'T MEAN YOU NEED TO RUB OUR FACE INTO THE GROUND,........... JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN

vote no years ago acompany called carolina freight and the teamsters made us workduring a strike or the company would fold. FUNNY HOW THINGS TURNEDOUT THE COMPANY MADE MILLIONS AND SOLD US OUT TO ABF A YEAR LATER MOST OF US LOT LOST ARE JOB ANYWAY.PS THAT WAS 1994. SOME HOW I FIND IT HARD TO TAKE AFTER ALL WE PUT UP WITH THIS PISSPOOR RUN COMPANY. AND IT ALWAYS AMAZING THE RICH WILL ALWAYS TAKE FROM THE POOR.THIS IS THE THIRD FREIGHT JOB I HAD IN MY 23 YEARS IM A ROAD DRIVER AT 042 AND I VOTE NO.ABC CORP HAS PLENTY OF MONEY JUST LAST YEARTHEY DOUBLED THERE EARNINGS. AT LEAST THAT WHAT THEY REPORTED.ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME ANYWAY LOOK AT THE TRUCKS ON THE ROAD NONUNION AND OWNEROPERATERS.I COULD GO ON AND ON BUT I GOT TO GET READY TO GO TOWORK THANKS FOR YOUR INVOLVEMENT IN THIS PROCESS. HOPE TO SEE ALL THE 042 PEOPLE AT THE PICINIC. ILL BEE THE GUY WITH THE VOTE NO TEE SHIRT HOPE YOU WEAR YOURS. THANKS AGAINAND ALSO SPREAD THE WORD TO YOUR FELLOW WORKERS.

I believe the contract will be renegotiated if we vote no. Management tried to scare the employee’s with an either ‘15% wage cut or out of business’ 2 years ago. We all know how that worked, so this time it is either vote on this wage cut or be bought out. Again, a bluff that has no substance. I like research, so I was looking at the ABFS financial history for the last 10 years (how the company was financially when we went into negations for our last contract). What was interesting was that ABFS made greater REVENUE but had less net profit. At that time ABFS only owned Clipper and now they own several companies. I also noticed that while ABFS is claiming a loss for 2012 they had a tax rate. How does a company have a tax rate if they lost money?