To all the drivers in NYC and Boston

I ask directions one time while in Boston. The guy keep telling me something about the fork in the road, only fork sounded more like an obscene word about a sexual function.
They don't speak good Inglish like in Albuquerque, ese.

Hi guys,
Today I had a pretty hard route for me in the city and I thought about it more and to all you guys in New York City and Boston, I don't know how you do it, I honestly don't know, but you get all the credit in the world from me that's for sure.

At 20 years old, i learned to drive tractor trailers in Long Island and took my N.Y. State class 1 road test in the city. I dont know if things have changed but the road test was administerd by a
NY state DMV inspector sitting in the pass. seat. The city driving portion/dock backing and yes Parallel parking was done in the streets of Maspeth Queens. The road portion was getting on the BQE
and running it into the L.I.E for a few exits, then returning to Maspeth. I havent operated a CMV in the NY metro area since 1992 and i can tell you i have no desire to participate in that Urban combat
crap anymore so I concur with you... My hats off to all that run that region!

How DARE you include my favorite Yuengling in the A-B brand mix!!!!

Lagers are much better than that!!

I believe you work for a wholesale distributor that handles the Bud brand as well as others.
Yuengling Just Became America's Biggest Brewery - Business Insider

All the Budweiser distributors around here have Yuengling. I work on the Miller-Coors side of the beer line, and ever place I go all the Budweiser Distributors here have Yuengling, it's become very popular everywhere. Where I work we have Sam Adams Boston, Beer Company in some counties, actually we have enough Sam Adams that we have a couple Sam Adams trailers.

I will stick to my wide open spaces when I am trucking. The only thing I have to combat are the elements and skill on a dirt road. Ya'll that do the city driving in those eastern states get my kudos, where your life is jeopardized by those around you second by second!

I ask directions one time while in Boston. The guy keep telling me something about the fork in the road, only fork sounded more like an obscene word about a sexual function.

everything is a sexual function in Boston...

They don't speak good Inglish like in Albuquerque, ese.

when i was younger, i heard the name of the city, but it sounded like..."Alba-turkey"

At 20 years old, i learned to drive tractor trailers in Long Island and took my N.Y. State class 1 road test in the city. The road portion was getting on the BQE
and running it into the L.I.E for a few exits, then returning to Maspeth. I havent operated a CMV in the NY metro area since 1992 and i can tell you i have no desire to participate in that Urban combat
crap anymore so I concur with you... My hats off to all that run that region!

one time while working for my former LTL company, i had a set of pups. the Cross Bronx was closed (south bound), so all traffic had to go to Amsterdam Ave. of course, it was garbage night...hell every night is garbage night.

the streets were jammed with cars parked on each side, garbage as well.

snaking through the city was no joy on my way to the GW Bridge.

as for the L.I.E. i have many on that road a few times, going to Glen Cove for an electrical customer (can't remember the name), or to a Cosco store.....(???) in another town/city of L.I.

fun road.

I will stick to my wide open spaces when I am trucking. The only thing I have to combat are the elements and skill on a dirt road. Ya'll that do the city driving in those eastern states get my kudos, where your life is jeopardized by those around you second by second!

i dunno....they scare me more then the streets of NYC AND Boston...

kinda reminds me of the Ice Road Truckers, or the trucking they did in the Andies..and India....????

by the way...

ICE ROAD TRUCKERS returns, July 7th......

yipee...the REAL story of life on the roads..>!!!!!.......:LMAO:

store deliveries: you know there is trouble when the back door has no door bell and the door is full of black marks from drivers kicking it...

Kick it?

I'd get out the 24 oz Klein Lineman's hammer I use to thump my tires with, and if getting their attention with the blunt side didn't work I'd turn it around and use the claw side.

I'm with Wild Chick. I'd rather pull a 14 foot wide load on a twisty, narrow 2 lane out in Western Montana than cross Outerbridge and Verrazano on my way to the LIE with a dimensional load of titanium and aluminum going out there.

Every time I have had to go out to Long Island getting across the bridges has to be the worst part of the trip. The lanes are narrow, and all the local P&D drivers run so close that a guy really has to watch that they don't take your mirrors off or sideswipe you. And if they did there would be no chance of catching them either.

Here is Monstro's big brother after a delivery out on Long Island 4 years ago. The door in the background is where the drop was. There is an alley between that building and the buildings on either side of the truck. I had to go in, turn right, then back up so the trailer was parallel to the building (remember, flatbed freight comes off the side) then open the conestoga and get unloaded.

Long Island by racerx6948, on Flickr

Then there was this place North of Detroilet, where I had to back into a building to get loaded. But wait, there is more. The building is very close to another building (not shown) and lots of employees cars were in the way. Add to that the inside of the building had an office that required me to go in at an angle. Of course the contrast between the light outside and the dimly lit interior of the shop made it impossible to see where the trailer was going once it was inside the building.

Tough Back In At Detroilet by racerx6948, on Flickr

Tough Back In At Detroilet by racerx6948, on Flickr

And I also have made many "job site" deliveries. Like this one in downtown Austin, Texas. The streets are not designed for a full size OTR tractor-trailer to negotiate the corners, so getting there was a challenge. I made a lot of 4-wheelers very unhappy.

To the left in this shot is where the drop was, to the right was the courthouse and cop shop. At one point some unhappy motorists had called 911 to complain about "that damn truck blocking the street!", and it wasn't long before the po-po showed up (well they didn't have far to go!).

I was walking around taking pictures and had been watching the cop. First he walked around, having a look at things, then he knocked on the door of the truck. I hollered at him, "Um, I don't think anyone is in there."

He asked me if I knew where the driver was, and I said, "Sure!"

So he asked where and I said, "Why, you're talking to him."

And then he asked why the truck was parked in the street like that and I pointed out that I was making a delivery, a commercial pizza oven that weighed 10,000lbs, and the customer had not made arrangements to have the parking area clear and didn't even have a proper forklift to get it off, so I was waiting on him to get the right equipment.

The cop asked why I was just waiting there, and I told him that it cost a lot of money to operate a big truck, and there was no place nearby that I could go while waiting.

Pizza Oven Delivery Downtown Austin by racerx6948, on Flickr

Yes. I actually prefer the wide open spaces, even when the weather is crappy.

Here are a couple shots from the 14 foot wide load I moved recently. A detour was required because of a landslide up on Lookout Pass on I-90 in Montana. The pilot car had to run ahead and block traffic, then call me on the 2-way to let me know I could proceed. Sometimes the idiot 4-wheelers would ignore the pilot car and go around it. When we met they were forced to back up, as I wasn't going to, and there was no room for them to get around me.

14 Foot Wide Detour by racerx6948, on Flickr

Hey xeastend, followed this guy for 20 miles. Followed up 61 into Pottsville.

Yuengling is really good beer. I wish they sold it out my way.

But then we get Moose Drool. It is also good beer.

Once you collect enough from the Moose!

When we met they were forced to back up, as I wasn't going to, and there was no room for them to get around me.

Have that same problem here, we all run radios on the mountains and call out mile marker posts so other trucks know where we are at and where to grab a pull out, and if they don't well someone's backing uphill or downhill to get around ya and since uphill traffic has the right of way unless it's so slippery we can't back up.. it's always a "who's gonna lose worse" game for not paying attention to the radio.
Inevitably we always run up against Halliburton trucks that aren't equip with radios or allowed to use them. I had to back up a muddy switch back with a full load of pipe on a road that the bottom was falling out of it because they got stuck on the hill side, tore up the road and ditch, needed me out of the way so they could get a blade down to them to pull the nincompoops out. Of course if they would have had a radio and told me they were in the way or responded to my call-outs we wouldn't have gotten in such a pickle. Tore my chains to crap getting out of there and nearly had to have the blade pull me up backwards by my trailer. That was a long day.
Don't you like the dinner plate sized eyes you get when they realized they messed up?! LOL

Don't you like the dinner plate sized eyes you get when they realized they messed up?! LOL

On that Montana detour one of the 4-wheelers that drove around the pilot car with a stop sign actually flipped me off. Like it was my fault they were acting like a moron.

I just kept on rolling forward until Mr. Middle Finger Showing Me His I.Q. decided he didn't want to play chicken anymore and begrudgingly backed up.

They'll let anyone have a driver's license.

Too bad they don't ensure they have a brain too.

On that Montana detour one of the 4-wheelers that drove around the pilot car with a stop sign actually flipped me off. Like it was my fault they were acting like a moron.

I just kept on rolling forward until Mr. Middle Finger Showing Me His I.Q. decided he didn't want to play chicken anymore and begrudgingly backed up.

They'll let anyone have a driver's license.

Too bad they don't ensure they have a brain too.

When I was in truck driving school one of the instructors said "Some of these people driving cars are so stupid there ought to be 2 of them in there." I find my self saying that out loud from time to time.

When I was in truck driving school one of the instructors said "Some of these people driving cars are so stupid there ought to be 2 of them in there." I find my self saying that out loud from time to time.

Yeah, but with 2 of them in there they would be twice as stoopit. :LMAO:

Oh, I forgot to mention, I get into some very interesting places when picking up and delivering.

Like here:

Boeing North Charleston by racerx6948, on Flickr

And this was in a place called Saint Maries, Idaho:

Boiler Drop Saint Maries Idaho by racerx6948, on Flickr

After delivering I had lunch just down the road here:

Boiler Drop Saint Maries Idaho by racerx6948, on Flickr

This one was fun, at a public school in upstate New York.

Victor Schools Swimming Pool Bulkhead Delivery by racerx6948, on Flickr

In it goes.

See it poking through.

"It goes over there"

I still like it out West though.

Welcome To Wyoming 14 Foot Wide by racerx6948, on Flickr

Lately Monstro has seen some door swingin'.

Monstro And Limey by racerx6948, on Flickr

A local customer needed about 60 truckloads of "product" moved from one warehouse to another. It took 2 of us about 2 and a half weeks to get it done, moving everything about 2 miles.

Here is the inside of the "new" warehouse.

Monstro Swingin Doors by racerx6948, on Flickr

Now I know how "the other guys do it".

Monstro Swingin Doors by racerx6948, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator: