Estes | too intelligent to drive a truck

Hey 'dew, for what it's worth, I've actually seen a truck driver win on 'Jeopardy'. Now I am prone to sarcastic, smart-ass remarks, but I swear this isn't one of them--I honestly saw it happen.

I was in the top 5% of my high school class and was in the honors program when I started college, but I decided to drop out and rebel for awhile.

Getting into a truck was the best thing I could have done after walking away from my education. It certainly helps that I love what I do for a living...

I hear ya Coondog. Sometimes I think truckers are too smart for their own britches. When I pulled flatbed I was amazed of the ideas people came up with with just a strap, chain and a binder, let alone all the wrenching and troubleshooting they did. Their are so many that are cluless on how anything operates. My neighbor don't know how to change a lawnmower tire. If I'm not around, he will call the the lawnmower man to come and get it. These are the ones that need and education. I like to refer to it as a "waste of time for an important piece of paper." Nonetheless, we are living in a country that belittles the blue color guy. I was watching Good Morning America the other day and they had the truck driver that survived the deadly twister caught on tape. They had the driver tell his story. When he finished Robin told him he told the story so well. To me that was another steriotype gesture thinking he wasn't smart enough to talk because he's a trucker. I hear it all the time, "I would've never dreamed your a truck driver." "You still have all your teeth!" "What are you doing driving a truck!" ..I delivered some 20k pounds of books to an upscale school a while ago and it wasn't an inside delivery. This beautiful blue eyed blond walked out and said, "just bring em down up the steps then I'll show you which room to put them in." I said, "Ma'am, this is a lot of books and ya'all didn't pay for the inside delivery." She said, I can't believe you won't take these inside for me." I said, "you have the tools to talk me into a lot of things but this isn't one of them. If it were just a few books I would be glad to bring them inside but this is at least a 2 hour job that isn't paid for." Another teacher walked out and and asked the lady, "what's up with the truck." She said, "oh, you know, another driver that wants us to do everything. I can't believe they didn't pay the extra $10 for him to bring these inside for us. I would have been glad to pay the $10." ..... I didn't say nothing and within a few minutes a maintenance man showed up with a big cart and knew I was coming.

I mainly just listen to the humming sound of the highway. My radio doesn't work very good.

In the 7th grade, during career day, my teacher gave me a brochure, with a smirk, (I guess a suggestion) to driving a truck. An ex-employer, laughed at me, leaving a good hospital job to go to driving school. The hospital outsourced my- and his "great job" and I make alot more than the teacher who smirked at me, with alot less headache. I yet to mail them a copy of my tax returns for the past twenty years. I look forward to the challenges everyday and helping anyone along the way. I still love it. It's not how much you make, as long as you enjoy what you do. It's not for everyone. I p/u and D'd to many factories, the majority of the employees were "there for the pension", doing the same meanial job, most of them looked miserable. Most of the jobs ended as well as the pensions, seemed more like a prison sentence for 20 years. Alot of these same people are now enrolling in "driving schools".

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen! Where was trucking boards twenty years ago?
Got a degree in computer science, worked for a major airline for four yrs. Hated the rat race and all of the corporate bs that went along with it. I started driving a truck waiting to fine something different, that was 23 yrs ago.

But let me say this. I don't feel belittled, we provide a very important service to the American public. We look down upon ourselves because the American public looks down on us because of the "few bad apples" that are among us. My father drove a truck for 42 yrs, he had a degree in engineering, never once did he ever tell me how he wasn't happy about the job choice he made, he also made sure to let me know that driving a truck was a honest and professional way to make a living, not to say he didn't try to get me into something different.

I know sometimes it is hard to keep out heads up and be proud of what we do, but please try. One thing I have always tried to keep in mind, something my father said, "If when at the end of the day, you know you have done the best that you can for you and your family, then your a honest man, doing a proud job.

i went to college for Computer Programming and Networking and had only 3 credits left, then i got hitched and wife got pregnant and needed to make quick money so i quit school and my desk job and got in a truck instead. Where else can you make the kind of money we make, especially in this economy nowadays?

im just saying that if you listen more then talk then you might learn something. God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason.

Intelligence has nothing to do with driving a truck. It's your attitude and the attention you pay to what you're doing while out on the road everyday. I know people who hate working here and what they do, but I have the opposite opinion.

Ever since I was a kid I yearned to drive a big rig after I was given a ride from Maine to New York City to visit relatives when I was about 15 through an acquaintance that my parents knew. I was in heaven. The freedom, the scenery, no boss, the CB radio, the nice guys in the truck stops. It was in a produce truck that would deliver to a warehouse in my relatives' neighborhood. This is what I wanted to do with my life I thought, but life had other plans.

I have a degree in International Business & Economics, speak two languages, was vice-president for sales and marketing of a major foreign company and was on the track to the top. However, I loathed every minute of it. Sure the money and prestige was great, but I wasn't happy. The stress and pressure was high, much traveling, constantly on the phone, deadlines to meet, budgets to make, reports and forecasts due, people to hire and fire, always kissing ass, etc.

I checked with a few OTR companies who hired newbies and decided against it even though they would train me. The pay was really quite low (I thought drivers made good money) and I would be away from home for at least three weeks a month and with a family that wouldn't cut it. One of my neighbors worked for Estes and he was home every day. Sometimes we would talk and he would tell me that he got another raise and the company was like family and that he was really happy. I told him of my desire and he said that he would get me on if I got my license, but I thought about the low pay and time away and told him I wasn't interested.

One day out of the blue while we were talking he told me that he made $60K last year. I blew it off thinking it was just fluff and big talk. I then called his bluff and asked if I could see his W2. He said sure and showed it to me. I was floored! He really did make that much. I did some calculations and figured I could manage that as my house was just paid off the year before. I asked if I, a new driver, could really get on if I got my license and he said sure, as he had connections and Estes was expanding. My dream would come true!

I talked it over with my wife. She had no objections if I was happy. Believe it or not, I submitted my resignation a week later, much to the shock of my peers and higher ups who thought I was nuts in throwing away a "good career" to drive a truck and I applied to a driving school. I gave up sitting behind a desk for sitting behind a steering wheel. Three weeks later I had my license and a week after that I was hired by Estes. I started out as an Extra Board driver and did that for three years before landing my own run. I was home, like clockwork every Saturday morning and back out Monday night as an EBD and every morning with my run. The company treated me like family and I was truly happy. I had made the right decision.

That was nearly 15 years ago and I must say that it was the best move I ever made in my life as I have never been happier. It really is my calling and I couldn't imagine doing anything else as this is not work for me. I used to wake up in my former life dreading going to work and figuring out how I could get the day off or leave early and the days would often drag on. Since I started driving, I have never even thought of taking a day off. Everyday is a new experience and it is still as enjoyable as it was the day I started. Besides, the pay was, and still is, fantastic. If I ever need extra money I can work a Saturday or a holiday for 3 bills. Not bad for doing something you like. To me it's like free money.

Estes has changed over the years and it is not as "close" as it was once was, but I still like what I am doing. I've never had an accident and have over 1.4 million safe miles but, if by fate, I ever have one and do get let go, I will retire, comfortably, as I cannot imagine doing anything else or going back to the rat race. It's also why I use the signature I do. Some may say I am too intelligent to drive a truck, but I say I was intelligent enough to take a chance and do something I love.

I am glad to hear others speaking on this topic. I began driving at a low point in my life. I expected it to be very short, with Estes for 10 years now. I have a useless degree in Philosophy and a law degree, no law license.

I am glad to hear others speaking on this topic. I began driving at a low point in my life. I expected it to be very short, with Estes for 10 years now. I have a useless degree in Philosophy and a law degree, no law license.
You would make a prime canidate for a smokey bear or a diesel bear with those degrees.

Intelligence has nothing to do with driving a truck. It's your attitude and the attention you pay to what you're doing while out on the road everyday. I know people who hate working here and what they do, but I have the opposite opinion.

Ever since I was a kid I yearned to drive a big rig after I was given a ride from Maine to New York City to visit relatives when I was about 15 through an acquaintance that my parents knew. I was in heaven. The freedom, the scenery, no boss, the CB radio, the nice guys in the truck stops. It was in a produce truck that would deliver to a warehouse in my relatives' neighborhood. This is what I wanted to do with my life I thought, but life had other plans.

I have a degree in International Business & Economics, speak two languages, was vice-president for sales and marketing of a major foreign company and was on the track to the top. However, I loathed every minute of it. Sure the money and prestige was great, but I wasn't happy. The stress and pressure was high, much traveling, constantly on the phone, deadlines to meet, budgets to make, reports and forecasts due, people to hire and fire, always kissing ass, etc.

I checked with a few OTR companies who hired newbies and decided against it even though they would train me. The pay was really quite low (I thought drivers made good money) and I would be away from home for at least three weeks a month and with a family that wouldn't cut it. One of my neighbors worked for Estes and he was home every day. Sometimes we would talk and he would tell me that he got another raise and the company was like family and that he was really happy. I told him of my desire and he said that he would get me on if I got my license, but I thought about the low pay and time away and told him I wasn't interested.

One day out of the blue while we were talking he told me that he made $60K last year. I blew it off thinking it was just fluff and big talk. I then called his bluff and asked if I could see his W2. He said sure and showed it to me. I was floored! He really did make that much. I did some calculations and figured I could manage that as my house was just paid off the year before. I asked if I, a new driver, could really get on if I got my license and he said sure, as he had connections and Estes was expanding. My dream would come true!

I talked it over with my wife. She had no objections if I was happy. Believe it or not, I submitted my resignation a week later, much to the shock of my peers and higher ups who thought I was nuts in throwing away a "good career" to drive a truck and I applied to a driving school. I gave up sitting behind a desk for sitting behind a steering wheel. Three weeks later I had my license and a week after that I was hired by Estes. I started out as an Extra Board driver and did that for three years before landing my own run. I was home, like clockwork every Saturday morning and back out Monday night as an EBD and every morning with my run. The company treated me like family and I was truly happy. I had made the right decision.

That was nearly 15 years ago and I must say that it was the best move I ever made in my life as I have never been happier. It really is my calling and I couldn't imagine doing anything else as this is not work for me. I used to wake up in my former life dreading going to work and figuring out how I could get the day off or leave early and the days would often drag on. Since I started driving, I have never even thought of taking a day off. Everyday is a new experience and it is still as enjoyable as it was the day I started. Besides, the pay was, and still is, fantastic. If I ever need extra money I can work a Saturday or a holiday for 3 bills. Not bad for doing something you like. To me it's like free money.

Estes has changed over the years and it is not as "close" as it was once was, but I still like what I am doing. I've never had an accident and have over 1.4 million safe miles but, if by fate, I ever have one and do get let go, I will retire, comfortably, as I cannot imagine doing anything else or going back to the rat race. It's also why I use the signature I do. Some may say I am too intelligent to drive a truck, but I say I was intelligent enough to take a chance and do something I love.

I am speechless...And if you ask anyone on TB, that's unbeleivable....Very good....I have nothing else to say...

I have a bunch of college credits but ran out of money and beer so I quit. I didn't feel any smarter with those credits under my belt. I wondered if I stayed drunk and partied 3 more years if I would have felt any smarter with a BA and empty pockets. I believe a monkey could make his mommy proud if it had plenty of cash and went through college.