TForce | Tractor trailer rolls over, spills colored ink on road

I know this crash clean up isn't going to be cheap,wonder what caused the lead to go over?
ink_truck_crash_030911.jpg

Curve and load shifted.

Just created this account to say yes the driver is ok and for the people who are curious im the union steward for the young woman who loaded this. Before you all bash her shes barely been with us long enough to become a union member and she was instructed by a supervisor to load all the totes down the center of the trailer without dunnage so he could close his mini hub trailer on time. Thank god no one was injured.

Just created this account to say yes the driver is ok and for the people who are curious im the union steward for the young woman who loaded this. Before you all bash her shes barely been with us long enough to become a union member and she was instructed by a supervisor to load all the totes down the center of the trailer without dunnage so he could close his mini hub trailer on time. Thank god no one was injured.

Thanks Bokra, I thought it was something like that. I would rather have them staggered and blocked...

Glade to hear no one was injured. I can't believe a supervisor would tell someone to load totes down the center like that without blocking them in. Thanks for the information and if you don't mind what was the origin of this trailer?

I can't even imagine how much this is going to cost ups. I bet that supervisor will be reprimanded if what we were told here is true.

Yes I agree,45 years as a city driver I would have wanted those totes staggered and blocked.
In my opinion,if there is any blame, it should have been the super advisors call to get it right before it left the dock.

Thanks a lot for your insight on this crash Bokra,keep up the good work,and above all be safe,do it right the first time.

I bet that supervisor will be reprimanded if what we were told here is true

Seriously, if this is true, the supervisor should be terminated, pure and simple!! And let me take this one step farther and it all goes to the "Peter's Principle", probably the reason he is a "supervisor", he got promoted to that position because he was incompetent doing whatever and his incompetence followed him into the supervisor's position and now this!

Regardless of what the circumstances were.
Safety should take precedence over any mini hub close times.
  • Supervisor should have insured that the load was properly blocked and braced prior to sealing trailer.
  • Dock worker should have insisted that the load needed to be blocked and braced. (they were trained right?)
  • Driver should have looked at manifest and asked if load was blocked and braced.
I know crunch times can often lead to taking short cuts but this serves as an expensive example to always do the right thing....People could have died.

When I was a road driver, I hated the fact that I had no clue how my trailers were loaded.
I often wondered if the freight was properly blocked and braced,if the weight was distributed correctly, if the weight written on the manifest was really correct, if they compensated for the load deck and dunnage weights. We were not allowed to break the seal.

I understand where your coming from. Even as a city driver, my load alot of times IS ready when I start in the morning, pulled from the dock, full trailer, waiting for me to hook up and go with me having no clue how it's loaded.

There has been a couple times where I'm delivering the last few stops, come to find out that there is WAY too much weight on my drives, cuz my docker worker has no concept of weight distribution, even though he's trying to load me so the stops are in the right order so I don't back track anywhere. I would rather back track than not have proper weight distribution.

Thank God nothing happened, like an accident or getting stopped by DOT.

Isn't there a statement on the manifest that the supervisor signs after closing the trailer saying "I certify that this load meets the proper loading requirements?" or something like that.

Isn't there a statement on the manifest that the supervisor signs after closing the trailer saying "I certify that this load meets the proper loading requirements?" or something like that.

If that's the case than heads should roll soon. A load shift like that is totally unacceptable and very deadly for the driver and the public.
Too many people "caught up in the moment" and forgetting the very basics of proper loading.

If that's the case than heads should roll soon. A load shift like that is totally unacceptable and very deadly for the driver and the public.
Too many people "caught up in the moment" and forgetting the very basics of proper loading.

I'm pretty sure there is something to that matter on the manifest. I remember every time I closed a trailer I had to sign off on it. Then again I was never a supervisor and when I brought that to their I was told to it anyways.

That old saying comes to mind in the case of this error that caused this expensive crash.
(Haste Makes Waste.)
Had the super-advisor made sure that trailer was properly loaded we would not have this thread.

Because of this over sight to get this trailer closed and on the way,our company has the cost of their equipment,the road repair,the claim on the freight,and I'm sure a very unhappy customer that expected their ink in a timely manor.

Yup Haste Makes Waste in a big way.
Take that extra something, to do it right at the beginning,and even if the customer gets his load a little late,he is still getting it the way it left the shipper,which is keeping the customers confident in the carriers they can rely on.

You guys make it sound like the sups are supposed to be on the docks,...........I don't think I have ever seen a Sup in a dock,...

Haste makes waste. Nicely put.

That old saying comes to mind in the case of this error that caused this expensive crash.
(Haste Makes Waste.)
Had the super-advisor made sure that trailer was properly loaded we would not have this thread.

Because of this over sight to get this trailer closed and on the way,our company has the cost of their tractor paint equipment,the road repair,the claim on the freight,and I'm sure a very unhappy customer that expected their ink in a timely manor.

Yup Haste Makes Waste in a big way.
Take that extra something, to do it right at the beginning,and even if the customer gets his load a little late,he is still getting it the way it left the shipper,which is keeping the customers confident in the carriers they can rely on.

A lack of common sense and a lack of respect for hazmat here. Plus liquids surge and kick, that dont help either.

I had a trailer with 25,000 one day, as I was rolling up the legs, I could see it was leaning to the left. "Toward me", I took it to the super, and when they opened the door, someone had loaded 15,000 of drums, all down the Left side.....I give them props on knowing that the road crowns in the middle, and slopes to the shoulder..Left turn would of been a bit whoopsie!