FedEx Freight | Tractors governed

Well WELCOME all WATKIN'S driver's every road tracter ive driven flat out peddle too the floor is 66-67 mph that's it,as far as 55mph i would say someone is yanking your chain,AGAIN WELCOME ALL

eolithic said:
Well thats just about all Watkins has is new tractors.
FedEx Freight is painting a bunch of red Volvos white and logo'ing them FedEx National LTL. They are OK tractors. Super 10 tranny and Cummins power.

Rattlesnake said:
FedEx Freight is painting a bunch of red Volvos white and logo'ing them FedEx National LTL. They are OK tractors. Super 10 tranny and Cummins power.

Our regional shop manager here at national said that we can get up to 500 of the repainted units from freight. I don't know if they are all redone road units or some city trucks too. Most or if not all of these trucks will be going into the city. I know that that fxf in Dallas and Little Rock is repainting a bunch of units.

joe bucker said:
Our regional shop manager here at national said that we can get up to 500 of the repainted units from freight. I don't know if they are all redone road units or some city trucks too. Most or if not all of these trucks will be going into the city. I know that that fxf in Dallas and Little Rock is repainting a bunch of units.
They are ALL Road Volvos which are red and being re-painted and re-numbered. ALL have Cummins power and super 10's. Here is a shot I took of the VERY first VN Volvo that AF ever had..R2917........R2916 was a Ford test tractor. I drove R2917 to Beckley WV.the first night it got to Charlotte.. A couch fell out of a pickup truck in front of me...I missed the couch thank GOD. It was a real big deal when we started getting the VN's....I was actually assigned to slipseat R2915 the very last Volvo old style ..

http://hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/johnny_click/r_2917_first_vn_volvo.jpg

I wonder what their plans are for the trucks we currently have. I hope they decide to do away with our twin screws and run all single axle units then we can get rid of the trailers with the nose stands on them.

I do like my twin screw but I could get use to single axle again.

C'mon. 55 JB hunt used to run at 60 and because of safety issues now run at 65. Fedex is not going to put you in any danger. Safety is huge at Fedex. 65 yeah. Right the money and if you get new trucks you won't even get over 70 going down hill. The shop guy is pulling your leg. I have a brand new truck here at Freight and it does 65 and that is. Put it in GA overdrive and we crank 80 down the hill.

Why would they do that??

Express runs alot faster than freight, they haven't turned them back, would be nice if they would turn us all up to express,lol.

FM

i doubt seriously they are turning them down to 55 and i really don't think they will turn them down to less than the 66 that Watkins had us set at anyways...they won't gain anything at all by doing so.

eolithic said:
I wonder what their plans are for the trucks we currently have. I hope they decide to do away with our twin screws and run all single axle units then we can get rid of the trailers with the nose stands on them.

I do like my twin screw but I could get use to single axle again.

i hope they don't get rid of the twin screws...Lord knows we need one badly in CHS to haul our heavy Acme to Charlotte everynight

WhiteEagle said:
i hope they don't get rid of the twin screws...Lord knows we need one badly in CHS to haul our heavy Acme to Charlotte everynight

I wonder how conway and abf and many others haul their heavy freight with single axle trucks? Dont get me wrong twin screws are nice but not needed if you have dock people who can load trailers right.

well i can promise you that dock people don't care how a truck is loaded, just as long as it gets loaded...the last thing they are concerned about is weight number 1 and number 2 here in CHS we only have 2 linehaul drivers to carry the heavy freight we get from one customer so we can only put so much onto a trailer...with a twin screw we could get more of it onto a trailer to get more of it off our docks...i think each terminal should dictate whether a twin screw is needed at that particular terminal or not.

Well when it comes to 53' trailers vs a set of pups I can see your point but if you are pulling a set of pups it shouldn't matter if you have a twin screw or not. The lack of knowledge or willingness from part time dock help should not dictate the purchase or need of twin screws or not just because they cant do their jobs right. They should be loading freight the right way no matter what but I know where you're coming from because we face the same issues at our terminal.

Maybe if they paid the part timers more we could get better help but they dont and you know what they say, you get what you pay for.

eolithic said:
Well thats just about all Watkins has is new tractors.

Not for long....many Fedex Freight trucks are hitting the our yard painted white with black frames and headed for Fedex National. They are all 5-6 years old with over 600K.

Shop manager told us National is buying 500 of our old tractors and we are replacing them with new tractors. The old AF red will be painted white, and they move on to National.

Looks like we get new rides, you guys get our old junk...sucks being on the bottom of the Fedex Totem Pole.

We have already replaced over a dozen trucks in the past 3 months at our barn

skippy said:
Not for long....many Fedex Freight trucks are hitting the our yard painted white with black frames and headed for Fedex National. They are all 5-6 years old with over 600K.

Shop manager told us National is buying 500 of our old tractors and we are replacing them with new tractors. The old AF red will be painted white, and they move on to National.

Looks like we get new rides, you guys get our old junk...sucks being on the bottom of the Fedex Totem Pole.

LOL is that why your city guys still ride around in trucks with no air? I guess being at the bottom of this so called "FedEx Totem pole isn't to bad because our hourly rate is higher that Freights here in the east anyway.

We are still getting new trucks as we always have and yes we are getting some of these painted trucks but there is a reason for that and it has nothing to do with being new comers to FedEx. Our terminal has already got 3 new national trucks. (not your old trucks) I enjoy driving my 2006 volvo with cruise control.

I also enjoy our vacation/personal day policy I mean who wouldn't enjoy earning 14 hours per month and being able to roll it over year to year.

Dont come into this forum tossing around how we will get your junk and we are low on this so called totem pole. We are all here to do the same job and dont pretend that we are second class to you.

skippy said:

Heck our city drivers will just love driving this stuff better than the junk they just bought from the contractors. Used with A/C or current with none sounds like a win/win situation for everybody!:Banane01:

what you guys need to haul those heavy loads with single axle tracs, is the JIF-LOX system. if you don't know what that is , then don't ask .......no really ,don't ask....trust me , you don't want to know.....I'm sorry i even brought it up... i have to go be sick now.....

skippy said:

hahaha...too funny..i doubt seriously this has any truth what so ever to it....you'd have to send me a written staement from your shop manager and also a photo of a before and after truck with its new paint colors to it along with a vin number to prove its the same truck....wow..you must really think Watkins drivers are dummys

hahaha

ace wheel cat said:
what you guys need to haul those heavy loads with single axle tracs, is the JIF-LOX system. if you don't know what that is , then don't ask .......no really ,don't ask....trust me , you don't want to know.....I'm sorry i even brought it up... i have to go be sick now.....

Jif-Lox isn't that a way to get your clothes dirty by just walking near it? Or that's a device that lets you get stuck on dry land? Or it's an useless set up that makes a single axle into a tandem.