FedEx Freight | Transferring to take an Extra Board spot?

emacmilitant

TB Lurker
Credits
Considering moving across country to take a Road Driver 1st extra-board position. Finishing up my driver apprentice but haven't been at FedEx 6 months... can my SCM say no? The position available is a drop yard position in the Midwest, the SCM out there told me they rarely have interest in these positions and he would hire a driver apprentice for it before someone outside the company. He also said it would be good to build some seniority. He said he can count on one hand the days his last extra board didn't run 5 days. I just finished my education and will start in the city in a week or so. We have no freight, city guys are all working 4-6hours/day. Thoughts? Advice?

RC always being distrustful of forked tongue managers, would say.....
Mr SCM,
Would there by chance be any road drivers from your domicile that I might speak with to get their perspective about running out of this location?
First sign of forked tongue would be any hesitation on the SCM's part.
Just being my usual jaded, cynical self.
Remember, the last thing you want to do is move halfway across the country to BFE to be the SCM's just in case guy.

Thanks RC, I'll do that Monday. I'm new to driving and new to FedEx... What questions should I be asking? I know I'm new and expect to start at the bottom... But i have bills to pay too :-) I also wonder why this position is hard to fill internally...

The center with the opening is in Aurora NE, just a drop yard, no city operations there. It's like 20 mins outside of the Grand Island NE center. They have 2 positions posted for 1st and 2nd extra boards.

lol I wouldn't consider myself an FNG haha, I've driven truck for years, but didn't have class A CDL for 12 months so I had to be an apprentice. yeahhh.. that's working out for me.

So the town has less than 5000 people, the town is less tha 3 square miles and the median household income is less than 40k. You could probably live very well. It's at an elevation of 1800 feet and as I type this the temperature is 9 degrees. It's not all that far from where my mother in law lives so I know the winters are cold and the summers are hot and humid. The only thing other than if there is really work is will inclement weather jump up and bite me in the butt.

Yeah the winters are about the same as I'm used too, live in NY right in the snow belt off the great lakes.... I've been researching.. towns look nice, cost of living is about 9% less than where I am, winters are a little colder, summers a little hotter, looks pretty flat and rural there (not a bad thing). I can't come up with any reasons NOT to go... big change and I'm weary I guess. That SCM said they don't get much interest in these positions, and hoping it can help me build up some seniority. Not really sure what "drop yard" procedures are... all of our guys do the turn-around and work the dock at the hub.

If you are used to bad weather, you might want to jump.
Drop yards are just relay yards, shared tractor runs nonstop. Should be big miles and few drops and vias. Hopefully there will be plenty of work. Oh btw, the site I was looking at said there are 100 women per 80 men. No mention though as to whether or not they all had all their teeth. :-)

Aurora is a nice town, I lived and worked there for a while before I left Fedex. There is no extra work there. The extra board covers vacation and sick time for the bid drivers. There are half day runs and half night there. I can't remember how many bids they have, I think about 20. I'll get in touch with a buddy of mine that runs a bid up there to see if he knows anything.

Sent from my Smartish Doohickey .

awesome, thanks guardrail. and RC fortunately I married the office girl at our terminal, so I won't have to worry about the teeth in Nebraska

I've had three co-workers that moved from YNG region to Wamsutter Wyoming pulling rocky mountain doubles. The night run is to Denver at 282 miles. Big money,but nothing much to do as far as personal time off. That could be the #1 reason for the trouble keeping the bid filled. I run 295 miles to POS. Not much personal time anyway. Moving is always a big gamble,but if your just starting a driving career here it could give you experience and money in your bank acct to pay bills. Good luck with both.