FedEx Freight | Transferring to take an Extra Board spot?

We had drivers from the Mid-West....Indy'ish and other locations work at our center when things where slow at their barns. Had a few chaps from Michigan, Indiana and Louisiana in a 2 week rotation and thought they where hooking their sets up to Herbie...I kept hearing, "what buggy can I use". I guess it all depends what part of the country you are standing in to just how intelligent you happen to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
There might be a waiting time between transferring as an apprentice I thought it was 6 months or srv CTR mng decision

That's what I'm finding out... I put it for it today (did not go over well btw.. SCM said I'm "not a real driver.." so I can't transfer. all my education/endorsements/whatnot is all set, he just doesn't have dock workers.. hired 2 city guys last month and didn't move me up.) Per HR the rule is 6 months..BUT if no one else internally applies they would hire me before hiring outside the company. The Grand Island SCM is awesome and really trying to help me out with this.)

Relay yard. Different nomenclature, for example a west coast person would use a forklift but an old geezer on the east coast would use a tow motor. Another example would be west coast men use congears and east coast gurleymen use dollys.

hahaha this is hysterical! We use all these terms! tow motor, dolly.. we had a driver have a tantrum because he was refusing to run and my wife said "wahh.. I can't do my run... somebody took my dolly ::sniffle sniffle::

hahaha this is hysterical! We use all these terms! tow motor, dolly.. we had a driver have a tantrum because he was refusing to run and my wife said "wahh.. I can't do my run... somebody took my dolly ::sniffle sniffle::

Yea, back in the day we had a guy in ORL go to Amarillo and he went from dock to driver program and never saw the city. He went there making fatass money, but I'm not sure where he is now with all the realignments we've had since then. If I had the make a guess, I'd say your SCM isn't too keen on letting you go and trust me, you really need his cooperation.

See if you be can loaned to the other center. Bypass the jerk go to HR and the other mgr.

other center is 21 hours away... my SCM had never even heard of it. Yeah he doesn't want us to go, because he's losing my wife in the office too.. who's pretty much still a redshirt that gets office girl pay.... He had his little tantrum today... told us it would be a mistake, we don't want to live in NE, and he was angry because we didn't ask his permission... now I've sat down with him many times and he knew my intentions were to be a road driver and get the heck out of NY. Working the inbound I work midnight-8am and rarely saw him anyways. And he told me "YOU NEVER CALL THE OTHER CENTER!" I didn't say anything bad when I called...I asked for the SCM, asked about the open position.. hours, miles, if there was a lot of interest in it etc. that's it.

other center is 21 hours away... my SCM had never even heard of it. Yeah he doesn't want us to go, because he's losing my wife in the office too.. who's pretty much still a redshirt that gets office girl pay.... He had his little tantrum today... told us it would be a mistake, we don't want to live in NE, and he was angry because we didn't ask his permission... now I've sat down with him many times and he knew my intentions were to be a road driver and get the heck out of NY. Working the inbound I work midnight-8am and rarely saw him anyways. And he told me "YOU NEVER CALL THE OTHER CENTER!" I didn't say anything bad when I called...I asked for the SCM, asked about the open position.. hours, miles, if there was a lot of interest in it etc. that's it.

Gee! His name wouldn't happen to be Lameass would it?

they had 1 extraboard, someone left and they all moved up, and they just got the approval for a 2nd because the extraboard was running 5 days/week. 2nd's not posted yet, at least it wasn't earlier

And he told me "YOU NEVER CALL THE OTHER CENTER!" I didn't say anything bad when I called...I asked for the SCM, asked about the open position.. hours, miles, if there was a lot of interest in it etc. that's it.

He only told you that because he knows you can get the transfer ok'd without going through him?

You don't need his help on this. Call the other MGR and see if he can push with HR for you to be loaned to them until your mandated time is up. I have seen this done a few times with guys that wanted and one that needed to transfer to other centers. It doesn't matter that its 21 hours away once your on loan you are basically the new terminals driver but you wont have seniority there till all the paperwork is complete. But it will get you out there. Your current MGR doesn't happen to be Nate?

You don't need his help on this. Call the other MGR and see if he can push with HR for you to be loaned to them until your mandated time is up. I have seen this done a few times with guys that wanted and one that needed to transfer to other centers. It doesn't matter that its 21 hours away once your on loan you are basically the new terminals driver but you wont have seniority there till all the paperwork is complete. But it will get you out there. Your current MGR doesn't happen to be Nate?

Don't you mean der fuehrer Nate? Chancellor of the reichstag in ROC?

I sincerely do wish you well. It would be a good move to get some experience under your belt as a new hire. BUT, I remember what FXF did to all the drivers who moved to relay points in the middle of NOWHERE! It ran great until they unveiled their NEW next best thing. Which was less that 14 months. And they told everyone that they would NEVER merge Freight and National! It still stings.

Ha! I WISH my SCM was Nate! My wife and Nate's wife are best buds. No... after him pretty much telling me in other words that he was gonna make our lives miserable he denied the transfer. He said "I'm having another guy come in and sign papers today.". so yet another city driver ahead of me. We damn near had a riot in our center today over him hiring another driver when our city guys are getting 5-6 hours a day. I called our HR, then called a different HR. I applied as an apprentice in May 6, 2012, with 9 months CDL-A experience. I was told I had to be an apprentice bc less than a year. I wasn't hired until August 28, 2012. So that put me over the 12 months mark. I should have never been hired as an apprentice. This new HR guy outta POS is saying I CAN transfer because I meet all the requirements. My HR and the Grand Island HR both say no because I still have the title "apprentice". We have a meeting set up for Thursday.

Yup. I moved to Aurora and it closed a year later. Don't buy a house. If it goes through, let us know. Rentals are scarce, so start looking now.

Sent from my Smartish Doohickey .

We did, we have no problem getting an apartment... doesn't look to be too many houses to rent there... we've checked into a few places that have availability. Probably live in Aurora, don't like the looks of GI

Aurora is a nice town. It has about everything you need. GI is another story. I went there for Walmart only. I just spent weekdays there and returned to KC on weekends, so I don't know what the weekend life is like. I used to walk about 2 miles a day through town late at night and always felt safe.

Sent from my Smartish Doohickey .

Just because you couldn't handle it hillbilly doesn't mean everyone else can't.

Well Barney since I have never worked out of a drop yard we really don't have much to go on. I wouldn't mind though not having a boss to see everyday when you get there.