ABF | Trucking is a hard life.

Lefty.

TB Lurker
Credits
Try retiring at 57 now a day's, you get a third. Abf doesn't want you too retire. Every year you stay after 57 goes up three to four hundred a year. Management doesn't even work eight hours a day . You think they care about you. We have to work average at least eleven hours a day for a good paycheck. I would rather them fix retirement than increase pay. I want to leave. It's just a job here now . If you get your own truck you make three times what we make, I guess people stay here mainly for insurance. And most driver's I talk to don't like change and management no's this that's why it's bad here. I don't get the union any more, far left. There not helping me at to make them worthwhile.thisis a bad career choice.

Some people here are stuck, not to intelligent don't know how to work the system the system works them to proud to get on disability and are over worked and look real worn-out. . the army thing did not work most are on disability why stay here. Money is money, most don't care how they get it. It's not the same country or people. If you're honest your screwed.

In my more bitter days, I would've said ABF has made the decision to work its employees to death so they never collected a pension.

In reality, they're probably just trying to wring every little bit of life force out of you so they get their money's worth...which isn't MUCH better, but is slightly less evil. Lol
Why would you think that was unique to ABF?

I don't know what local you are in, But, a Few of the unions let you retire at any age with 25 years of service. You only have one life, Dont waste it in a Job you hate. There are a lot of Jobs you can start over in, That are'nt in the Trucking Industry

Well I did work for yellow for awhile, coworker there started with Carolina freight. Worked for abf but stayed at yellow went to retire in his fifty's after thirty plus years and was offered around fourteen hundred a month. How's that to you, ended up buying own truck most in union would not do.

Buying a truck isn't a gold mine. Parts are scarce, fuel is expensive and good luck competing for freight with the mega carriers. That's before the additional costs like maintenance, tolls and insurance. Then you have the broker that's probably double booking and screwing you anyway. Before any of that, you have to buy very expensive equipment that's a depreciating asset.

No thanks. I park and I go home.

Buying a truck isn't a gold mine. Parts are scarce, fuel is expensive and good luck competing for freight with the mega carriers. That's before the additional costs like maintenance, tolls and insurance. Then you have the broker that's probably double booking and screwing you anyway. Before any of that, you have to buy very expensive equipment that's a depreciating asset.

No thanks. I park and I go home.
That's the best part of being an employee: getting to be truly off the clock.

Try retiring at 57 now a day's, you get a third. Abf doesn't want you too retire. Every year you stay after 57 goes up three to four hundred a year. Management doesn't even work eight hours a day . You think they care about you. We have to work average at least eleven hours a day for a good paycheck. I would rather them fix retirement than increase pay. I want to leave. It's just a job here now . If you get your own truck you make three times what we make, I guess people stay here mainly for insurance. And most driver's I talk to don't like change and management no's this that's why it's bad here. I don't get the union any more, far left. There not helping me at to make them worthwhile.thisis a bad career choice.
Why are you blaming ABF? They didn’t write the pension law.

I'm not saying buying a truck is a gold mine. No insurance, you do get Three time's the pay. Who writes the pension law's. I see a lot of company driver's like Frankenstein no brain's. And similar to a dog . Loyal, happy on the outside, maybe they just gave up. No choice.

I'm not saying buying a truck is a gold mine. No insurance, you do get Three time's the pay. Who writes the pension law's. I see a lot of company driver's like Frankenstein no brain's. And similar to a dog . Loyal, happy on the outside, maybe they just gave up. No choice.
You may get 10 times the pay, but after the expenses, you will put in more hours and 98% of the time a hell of a lot less profit.

The government did sharpy!!!! Wow! The pension was made by the union back in the day not the company! Learn history smart guy!!!! It’s now run independently. All ABF does is make payments. Looks like you are pretty ignorant after you just called me a lap dog for the company.

Last edited: