Holland | Two hour layover gone?

howlinwolf

TB Lurker
Credits
Lots of rumor floating around about the two hour penalty for layovers over fourteen hours disappearing. No mention of twelve hour layover for third bed and beyond being retained. What is going to change?

They cant take away the layover without changing the contract. The only change that is being made is not really a change. All terminals will give a two hour work call. The contract calls for a work call. Before every terminal either called or wanted you back on your time.

They cant take away the layover without changing the contract. The only change that is being made is not really a change. All terminals will give a two hour work call. The contract calls for a work call. Before every terminal either called or wanted you back on your time.

:chairshot: Thats right. But watch out Yellow will try.

My way of thinking is, they do not want you on Co property until your load is ready to keep you off the bottom line....Hell it sounded good to me anyway, could be wrong though...

This will stop the abuse of some terminals using the hotel to notify drivers or not wanting to tell you when to report but just what time they are closing (MS) and not paying waiting time. This does not change the contract on call or reporting time or payment of the 2-hour penalty (some call it layover) or the way waiting time is paid.Some people are reading too much into this notice that came out when it was just a clarifaction of existing rules.They will also try and beat you out of your show time. I can see where it will save hours for some at terminals were dispatchers have you come back on your time when they know you won't be ready yet.

Just heard from our steward who just got off the phone with our BA. He was informed that the two hour penalty and the show time is gone. Welcome to yellow

Huh?

I think someone is getting bad information. The 2 hour penalty(layover) is contract. In the Southern region over the road agreement, it is Article 50. Section 3. There is no way that is going away. They might try to work on that the next contract but it isn't going anywhere now.

Work for Roadway, and I know we still get paid after 14. Thats in the east. Run New Englad all the time as well out to Ohio sometimes. Always get paid after 14.

Article 51 Section 3.....Central Region Supplement.......

Section 3. Layovers
When a driver is required to lay over at the first (lst) destination away from his home terminal, layover pay shall commence following the fourteenth (14th) hour after the end of the run. If the driver is held over after the fourteenth (14th) hour, he shall be guaranteed two (2) hours' pay, in any event, for layover time. If he is held over more than two (2) hours, he shall receive layover pay for each hour held over up to eight (8) hours in the first twenty-two (22) hours of layover period, commencing after the run ends. This pay shall be in addition to the pay to which the employee is entitled, if he is put to work at any time within the twenty-two (22) hours after the run ends, The same principle shall apply to each succeeding eighteen (18) hours, and layover pay shall commence after the tenth (10th) hour.

When a driver is called for dispatch at an away﷓from﷓home terminal, and the dispatch for which the driver was pre﷓called is not available as projected, such driver shall receive actual delay time in addition to the penalty provided herein when held beyond the fourteenth (14th) hour.
The same provision as described above shall apply at the employee's second (2nd) destination away from home.

I don't know how Holland can possibly get around this. I work for Yellow and they had no problem signing my 2 hour penalty in St. Paul last week.

the office staff at allentown, pa, was famous for calling drivers in the afternoon or early evening, just to tell the driver "you're going to be held over your 14"just so they wouldn't have to pay the 2hr. penalty.... i'd just say
"thanks for waking me up" and hang up..i think the brain surgeon who ran central dispatch was responsible for this abuse. t251, what do you think?????

It is real funny that people can read this simple message put out last week by central dispatch and still do not understand it and come out with this off the wall ideas that they are doing away with the 2hr lay-over penalty.

All they are doing is given the road driver when at a foreign terminal a 2hr work call. by the local dispatcher (not to be done by the hotel, we do not work for them and they do not work for Holland). Instead of reporting for work 15 min. before your 14th hr. (which was a rule in Hollands work rules) you are to stay at the hotel until called by dispatch and given a 2 hr work call. ALSO IF YOU READ THE LETTER THIS 2HR WORK CALL WAS REQUIRED BY A JAC DECISION THAT IS BEING IMPLEMENTED SYSTEM WIDE!!

Was told part of the reason was drivers were sitting around terminals for 3-4 hrs waiting on a load and burning there hrs sitting. And also the terminals that were having the hotel do the calling by faxes and what not was not getting done correctly and not supposed to be done like that anyway.

So the next time the Hotel call's and gives you a work call do not get mad at the hotel clerk just hang the phone up and call central dispatch speak with a supervisor and ask him why the hotel clerk is dispatching you.

MAKE THESE LOCAL DISPATCHERS DO THERE JOB. THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

howlinwolf-where are you out of that you have a ba and a steward that are so out of touch , oh I see in your info you list location as "beer joint", that explains it all. As stldude44 lays it out , the contract spells it out , the company would have to ask for relief from this agreement and re-negoiate the contract and that ain't gonna happen. I don't understand why everyone is trying to make such a big deal out of this notice. And by the way did you know that disney is buying yellow out and will re-brand it Mickey Mouse Trucking. Got that straight from the mouse himself.:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

howlinwolf-where are you out of that you have a ba and a steward that are so out of touch , oh I see in your info you list location as "beer joint", that explains it all. As stldude44 lays it out , the contract spells it out , the company would have to ask for relief from this agreement and re-negoiate the contract and that ain't gonna happen. I don't understand why everyone is trying to make such a big deal out of this notice. And by the way did you know that disney is buying yellow out and will re-brand it Mickey Mouse Trucking. Got that straight from the mouse himself.:hysterical: :hysterical:

Wow :funky: Does that mean we will get discounts in the kingdom :biglaugh:

the office staff at allentown, pa, was famous for calling drivers in the afternoon or early evening, just to tell the driver "you're going to be held over your 14"just so they wouldn't have to pay the 2hr. penalty.
Jeff,
How would calling somebody up and telling them that they'd be held over 14 excuse the Company from paying the 2 hours? I've never seen where it says if they tell you about it they don't have to pay you.

If they call you, its for a work call only.file, file, file. If they broke your rest, tell them, and they automatically broke your rest and owe you more time.

You get paid the moment after you punched 12 hours ago. call for two hours. Weither thats a click or not.

Just heard from our steward who just got off the phone with our BA. He was informed that the two hour penalty and the show time is gone. Welcome to yellow

Article 51 Section 3.....Central Region Supplement.......

Section 3. Layovers
When a driver is required to lay over at the first (lst) destination away from his home terminal, layover pay shall commence following the fourteenth (14th) hour after the end of the run. If the driver is held over after the fourteenth (14th) hour, he shall be guaranteed two (2) hours' pay, in any event, for layover time. If he is held over more than two (2) hours, he shall receive layover pay for each hour held over up to eight (8) hours in the first twenty-two (22) hours of layover period, commencing after the run ends. This pay shall be in addition to the pay to which the employee is entitled, if he is put to work at any time within the twenty-two (22) hours after the run ends, The same principle shall apply to each succeeding eighteen (18) hours, and layover pay shall commence after the tenth (10th) hour.

When a driver is called for dispatch at an away?from?home terminal, and the dispatch for which the driver was pre?called is not available as projected, such driver shall receive actual delay time in addition to the penalty provided herein when held beyond the fourteenth (14th) hour.
The same provision as described above shall apply at the employee's second (2nd) destination away from home.

I don't know how Holland can possibly get around this. I work for Yellow and they had no problem signing my 2 hour penalty in St. Paul last week.

It still makes me sick to my stomach how many people covered under the contract have never read the book and have no idea what their rights are, and consistantly get sucked into the rumor mill. If only some of these people spent less time BS'ing in the driver room and read the book over we could hear less of the wild rumors. Sorry for the short rant from a former city steward, but it drove me crazy handing out contract books to everyone I represented, and knowing most would never see the book again after that day. It's hard to get screwed over when you know your contractual rights and have your stewards phone number. Thanks to stldude44 for posting what every Teamster should already know. :duh: :hide:

I didn`t think Holland was covered by supplements??? I thought they were covered under some hoffa sr deal in 1956

It seems payroll is no longer paying the 2 hour penalty. It certainly was deleted from my check and others as I am being told. To those of you who bashed me on this forum for making an attempt to exchange information on this subject a couple of weeks back I would like to hear what you smart aleck's have to say now. Please save your the channel 19 mentality for the cb.

It seems payroll is no longer paying the 2 hour penalty. It certainly was deleted from my check and others as I am being told. To those of you who bashed me on this forum for making an attempt to exchange information on this subject a couple of weeks back I would like to hear what you smart aleck's have to say now. Please save your the channel 19 mentality for the cb.

Well I still do not understand how they are doing this. I talked to a Yellow frt driver and he told me that if you are at the hotel and they give you a start after your 14th hr then you get your 2hr layover put nothing from the 14th-16th hr. But if you are called for your time and the load is not ready you get the 2hr penalty plus time spent.

I have been at Holland for 10yrs and we always got payed the other way. I guess now that YRCW is in charge there will be a lot of changes to come.