Holland | Two hour layover gone?

If any of you has not heard, the layover issue was deadlocked at the JAC hearing. The next hearing has not been set, at least I haven't been told. If we lose this money we should ask Walt L., Tyson J., Pat F., and Mr. Gordon S. from the IBT why they met with the Company in San Diago, CA on 01/16/07 to discuss this issue with the company.
What gives these guys the right to make decisions about our layover when none of these guys came from a Holland board.
This is not Yellow or Roadway.

If USF is trying to change the "2 hr. layover penalty rule" then any USF driver may file a past practice rule. Past practices can only be filed if "ALL DRIVERS" of their board or barn benefit or are effected by this rule. You only need to have 1 driver to file a past practice grievence & it will cover all drivers (preferrably your steward). ANYTIME!! there is a money issue, YOU MUST GRIEVE IT!!! DON'T WAIT FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO GRIEVE IT!!!

Yellow uses the 2 hr. call to work rule, this has been in the N.M.F.A. for a long time, its just some terminals push it & some don't. Some terminals have it stated in their local agreement that there is a 2 hr. show up time. This was added when the "first in, first out" rule was put in effect. Making a driver wait 2 hours when called, keeps the run around claims down & stops drivers from sacking drivers. It was initially a seniority issue, when a senior driver & a junior driver are called at the same time, it allows the senior driver to use his/her seniority for the dispatch runs. Senior drivers usually go first & the junior drivers were sacking them by not taking their proper breaks. Sacking is a problem at a lot of terminals & all it does is drive a wedge between the drivers & we all know what happens when a company devides its drivers. I honestly believe that is why Yellow put drivers back in the sattelite terminals, was to devide the strong union base breakbulks. Just my opinion though.

Has anyone seen the letter from 9-18-7 from Holland management. It stated we go back to 15 min report time and all grievences filed will be paid. I am not sure if this just Central States but i believe alot people said we would win and appears that the union will get many guys there money

Letter to Tyson J.

I have the letter. It is also hanging in NA. It is unclear on who or if anyone will get paid the back pay. It does state that we will return to the old reporting procedure on 10-08-07. We are still all owed this money. We cannot give up on this issue until we win.

One thing no one seemed to clarify in regard to what you're entitled to. If they call you in at 13th hour for 15th, when you arrive, if load is not ready, you punch for your arrival. You are now running 3 clocks, 2 of which you're entitled to pay for. The first is actual time spent obviously.

The second depends on how long you wait for your load. If you wait beyond your 16th hour, you the forget the 2 hr 12-14 guarantee and take 14th hour plus as your pay. IE 16.5 hrs til load ready is 2.5 hours layover plus 1.5 hours clock time. If your load is ready before 16th hour, you forget 14th hour on and take your 12 - 14 2 hour guarantee, which is more, along w/the actual clock time.

Some terminals will try to play you, when a load is delayed for multiple reasons. Say you inccur delay waiting on the actual loading, hook or paperwork. This clock time is paid through dispatch. Some terminals will tell you you're ready, give you you're bills and sign your sheet after you punch, you think your done and don't get your layover pay because you didn't make the 14th hour. You walk out of dispatch, down the steps and discover your unit and load is in the shop being repaired. If you go back to dispatch, they tell you to punch in at the shop, they are not responsible, the shop is. The shop is really obligated for your actual time from your upstairs punch out, until they tell you your ready and you hit their clock. You then can go back to dispatch, to get them to sign for you being over 14th hour.

However, if you punch the shop clock like dispatch told you to, you are not entitled to receive your layover. If you go out to the unit, discover a problem, then go to the shop w/it, you are not entitled to the layover.

Holland

Holland has worked different. If we pass the 14th hour we get 2 hours plus wait time regardless. At least until we were bought by YRCW and now they are trying to break long standing agreements.

Lack of proper Leadership "The Truth"

I just want everyone to know the facts on how we lost the Two hour layover issue. On January 16, 2007 there was a meeting in San Diego, CA. The Company hosted this meeting. Our supposed Union leadership from the International were at this meeting. Those elected officials were: Tyson J., Walt L., Pat F., and Gordon S.
This is when the deal was made to stop paying our two hour layover.
Then Tyson issued a letter stating that the Union never agreed to anything and we should file grievances under article 6.
Then our grievances were deadlocked at the JAC level.
Then in September of 2007 T. J. met with Mark B. from the Company and agreed the drop the dead locked grievances and settle the matter by letting the Company break their earlier agreements and pay all of us (All Regions) according to the Central States Supplement. It is unclear if we will get any back pay for the layover from 02-11-07 until 10-02-07. However, it is clear that the 15th and 16th hour will never be paid after 10/2007.
All of these officials work for J.H. our President. I know for a fact that he was notified of this situation and allowed us to loose money. Remember, your dues were not reduced, none of these men ever lost a dime.
Also remember, The same man that made the original deal then said he never agreed with anything is the same man that made the deal in the end.