Yellow | Union Brother gets our Road Steward Fired@241

now-a-days you really have to watch what you say.
DON'T DOCUMENT, with letter, or voice mail.
Face to face, but beware of technology. They make very small, and good, personal recording devices.

Testpilot, Can't you vent with out the threats? The last time I heard the police will bring charges for "killing" also :smilie_132:
Testpilot said:
If the steward was fired for workplace violence, then he deserved what HE got. Secondly, if he was foolish enough to leave an actionable threat on a voicemail, you are better off without him. SOB ever tried that with me, he better paralyze my ***, because I would have killed him. You call it a "scolding". Last time I heard, the police wont bring charges for a "scolding".

Now as to the scumbag who is on the other end of this. If he is as bad as you make out, and it has gotten this far along, where the hell WAS the steward for all this time????

Either we aint gewtting the whole story, or that is one screwed up barn.

This topic just shows how the country has become a castrated nation in which so-called members like the X FedEx jerk go and cry to the Company and the police instead of following the rules like he should. It's a damn shame that the old guys grew old and retired....you wouldn't have done this sort of thing years ago. Yeah, I know times have changed, but they damn sure haven't changed for the better. I'd like to see a guy like this wreck after his 14th hour and see how much Roadway thinks of him then. They'd throw him away like a used condom. In the meantime though, they love the divide and conquer that this causes. The Companies allow and even, in some cases, encourage a guy to break rules or DOT laws to get the freight there. I long for the day that it costs them millions in major lawsuit when somebody's attorney discovers by way of the tractor's computer that the driver was over the 11 or the 14. Then maybe this crap will stop....but it won't stop until it costs them a fortune. Here's hoping that it happens sooner rather than later.

And, I hope the Steward gets his job back with full backpay.

Well guys, there are still a good group of what you would call "old time Teamsters" around. I'm sure that the steward was trying to get his point accross to the guy and the guy got his little feelings hurt and ran to mommy!! He must have had enough of the guy breaking the rules and causing trouble and the other drivers were raising hell for the steward to get it stopped. I hope the union hall will take care of this, stewards sometimes do a thankless job. Just my thoughts. DS.

This topic just shows how the country has become a castrated nation in which so-called members like the X FedEx jerk go and cry to the Company and the police instead of following the rules like he should. It's a damn shame that the old guys grew old and retired....you wouldn't have done this sort of thing years ago. Yeah, I know times have changed, but they damn sure haven't changed for the better. I'd like to see a guy like this wreck after his 14th hour and see how much Roadway thinks of him then. They'd throw him away like a used condom. In the meantime though, they love the divide and conquer that this causes. The Companies allow and even, in some cases, encourage a guy to break rules or DOT laws to get the freight there. I long for the day that it costs them millions in major lawsuit when somebody's attorney discovers by way of the tractor's computer that the driver was over the 11 or the 14. Then maybe this crap will stop....but it won't stop until it costs them a fortune. Here's hoping that it happens sooner rather than later.

And, I hope the Steward gets his job back with full backpay.

I am genuinely confused about this. Really.

Whatever the steward said must have involved some threat of physical violence or property damage or the police wouldn't be interested. Why do some of you feel that this is OK under the union frameset? Should this guy have been brought up on union charges? Hell yes!! Thrown out of the union? Sounds good to me!! Maybe lost his job for breaking the contract? Why not. But what has me scratching my head is where some people think that threats are OK. If you really belive it all good, how would you feel if the involved worker (I won't call him a Teamster, he forefited that a while back) and a few "good union men" got together in the parking lot, and the **** beat the ever loving crap out of them? Would you then decide, under the new doctrine of "might makes right" that this loser coud do whatever he wanted? Or do we go back to the "good old days" and send Tony Soprano over to burn down his house and his family?

It's a new union. If the rules aren't workng, make new rules. But the time is way past, especially in the IBT, for the mob nonsense.

TP,
I didn't advocate violence or threats....I didn't respond to any of that on purpose. You may have read too much into my post.

What disgusts me is that we even have so-called members like this guy who breaks the rules and then cries to the Company. It's totally against what the Union is about. It's not that the rules don't work at all....it's that some greedy guys think that the rules hold them back from making more money.....make no mistake about it....that's what it's about. They accept a Union job with Union rules and then they don't want to adhere to them....too bad. I never said that the Steward handled it correctly. If the guy who took the job would just did what he was supposed to do the Steward wouldn't have had to do anything. I guess that's too much to expect from some members of this new Union you speak of.

flat tires used to be the 1'st warning, if one did not get the message then a few members would discuss the matter over a cup of coffee.

TP,
I didn't advocate violence or threats....I didn't respond to any of that on purpose. You may have read too much into my post.

What disgusts me is that we even have so-called members like this guy who breaks the rules and then cries to the Company. It's totally against what the Union is about. It's not that the rules don't work at all....it's that some greedy guys think that the rules hold them back from making more money.....make no mistake about it....that's what it's about. They accept a Union job with Union rules and then they don't want to adhere to them....too bad. I never said that the Steward handled it correctly. If the guy who took the job would just did what he was supposed to do the Steward wouldn't have had to do anything. I guess that's too much to expect from some members of this new Union you speak of.

Like I said, the guy is a loser. But a lot of these problems (we have 'em too) are allowed to get out of control, instead of being addressed early and often. Not saying that this is necessarily the case here, but a lot of times it is ignorance in the beginning, and then they get used to breaking the rules as a way of life. Of course it doesn't help that they see senior men doing the same thing.

I was VERY lucky that I had guys in my barn who let me know what the rules were, what was expected of us and let us know when we screwed up, mostly in a positive fashon (with some notable exceptions).

Not saying that this is necessarily the case here, but a lot of times it is ignorance in the beginning, and then they get used to breaking the rules as a way of life. Of course it doesn't help that they see senior men doing the same thing.
There's an old saying.....2 wrongs don't make a right.

union meetings?

since this thread is about union how many road drivers regularly attend your locals meeting?
seems to me your stewards could use a boost and should be backed up by some good attendance at meetings all should be involved. these guys have a thankless job and make decisions all the time hoping they have the support of their members. give them a pat on the back and take up a collection to let them know they are appreciated.
are the guys at 241 helping out the steward or is it just lip service especially when he needs it at this time of year.

From Secretary of Labor's decision in Smith v. Yellow Freight System, Case No. 1991-STA-45:
STAA Section 405(a) prohibits an employee's discharge because he has filed a complaint "relating to a violation of a commercial motor vehicle safety rule, regulation, standard, or order . . . ." 49 U.S.C. app. § 2305(a). Internal complaints, e.g., to an employer, are protected. Protection is not dependent on actually proving a violation. Yellow Freight System, Inc. v. Martin, 954 F.2d 353, 356-357 (6th Cir. 1992). STAA Section 405(b) provides that "[n]o person shall discharge . . . an employee . . . for refusing to operate a vehicle when such operation constitutes a violation of any Federal rules, regulations, standards, or orders applicable to commercial motor vehicle safety or health, or because of the employee's reasonable apprehension of serious injury to himself or the public due to the unsafe condition of such equipment." 49 U.S.C. app. § 2305(b).
Smith thus engaged in protected activity when he declined a dispatch on October 17, 1989, due to fatigue, when he declined to continue driving on August 3 and September 23, 1989, due to fatigue, and when he complained about or "protested" discipline received because of these work refusals and because he had counseled other drivers about DOT regulations. Smith's discharge unquestionably constituted adverse action. P.R.D. at 16.

Here is a link to the Secretary's decision:
Smith v. Yellow Freight System, Inc., 91-STA-45 (Sec'y Mar. 10, 1993)

The employee protections provisions of the Surface Transportation Assistance Act protects employees against retaliation for refusing to drive in violation of a commercial vehicle safety regulations, for complaining about reasonably perceived violations of such regulations, and for counselling others about such regulations.

Paul Taylor
Attorney at Law
Truckers Justice Center
[email protected]

NOTHING IN THIS POST SHALL BE CONSTRUED AS CREATING AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.

Go to the E Board

Tell me what you guys think about this crap!!

We have this driver that came over from Fed-Ex about 2yrs ago. He been problems ever since. He likes to run over his 14hrs,run hot,call ahead and get his work assignment extended, refuses to sign in and out at foreign terminals, does his own drop and hook at open terminals. Always behind the dispatch counter sucking up, basically an all around scav.

He recently was scolded by our road steward, who left him a voice mail on his personal cell phone. He was told to stop what he was doing and has been told several times in the past.

Get this crap!! he went to management with the voicemail said he was being THREATENED by the shop steward and they instructed him to go to the local police dept and file a report which he did.

Our road steward was then fired and barred from roadway property pending a hearing at which time the firing was upheld and forwarded to state panel for there decision.

The only problem is the road steward has ALLEGEDLY done this before.

He was fired for work place violence. This is life at Roadway Cincinnati ohio. If your thinking of transfering into cincy in the upcoming change. You better do your home work 1st. because this is truly a prison camp!!!!
Maybe it is diffrent back there but can't this guy be brought up in front of the Ethics Board for going to managment about a brother. Go to the E Board they pull his card! No card no work:duh: . Simple as that or am I wong about this. The Teamster oath is pretty clear. I know we could do it out here. Someone let me know if i'm wrong. Thnx