XPO | Union Debate and News

While those things are mostly true I might add that you'll never get a raise based on your merit. You will never have the opportunity to let the cream rise to the top. Every slug you work with will "earn" the same wages and benefits you do as long as they've been there "long enough". Certainly not my cup of tea from a management or a worker in the trenches perspective and I have been both.

That's exactly the way out raises are handed out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I have heard a lot of people running their mouths that we should go union.

It seems. With a union. You give them as few dollars now. For a few pennies later.

Without. You keep all your pennies. Get nothing later.

With as crooked as both the company and the union are, why would I not want all of my pennies up front ?

Some say it will give job security. But several of the union carriers use off shore billing and rail or purchase vans and PT or casual dock hands.

It ain't like Con-way has reinvented the wheel. These guys are copy cats. They don't ever go out and do something "smart" on their own.

At this point, there's nothing to lose for a conway employee. Driving jobs are everywhere..right now is a perfect opportunity to bargain for a contract. It's time to look at yourself instead of the camera looking at you

It seems. With a union. You give them as few dollars now. For a few pennies later.

With as crooked as both the company and the union are, why would I not want all of my pennies up front ?

Some say it will give job security. But several of the union carriers use off shore billing and rail or purchase vans and PT or casual dock hands.

It ain't like Con-way has reinvented the wheel. These guys are copy cats. They don't ever go out and do something "smart" on their own.

Do we realize that the union dues are LESS than what we pay for our insurance and include more? Yeah, it may be a gamble on the Central States Fund, but look at the Conway Fund....almost non existent. I would surely take my chances. The union does allow a certain % of rail/purchase but it is capped by the contract.

At this point, there's nothing to lose for a conway employee. Driving jobs are everywhere..right now is a perfect opportunity to bargain for a contract. It's time to look at yourself instead of the camera looking at you

We have our seniority to lose...Then we wouldn't have this easy position...just sayin'

How do you lose your seniority over a contractual vote? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

While those things are mostly true I might add that you'll never get a raise based on your merit. You will never have the opportunity to let the cream rise to the top. Every slug you work with will "earn" the same wages and benefits you do as long as they've been there "long enough". Certainly not my cup of tea from a management or a worker in the trenches perspective and I have been both.
When was the last time a Con-Way employee got a merit raise?
How much more do you make than the slugs?

Nor do the drivers.

Today, somebody within Con-Way got a raise based on their merit. Perhaps a SCM, maybe a sales rep, maybe a VP, maybe a janitor.

A whole lot more, but what's your point?

Today, somebody within Con-Way got a raise based on their merit. Perhaps a SCM, maybe a sales rep, maybe a VP, maybe a janitor.

A whole lot more, but what's your point?
Today someone in the world won a lottery, but it wasn't you, and it wasn't me. Just because something could happen doesn't mean it will. If I have to explain my point you would never understand.

Today someone in the world won a lottery, but it wasn't you, and it wasn't me. Just because something could happen doesn't mean it will. If I have to explain my point you would never understand.

You specifically asked when the last time a Con-Way employee got a merit raise, implying that it doesn't happen.

Your point was for everybody to infer that folks who bust their ass don't make any more than the slugs because merit raises don't happen and that I am no better off than the slugs. But since that isn't the case I wanted you to elaborate on your point. However, since your point was refuted, you claim I wouldn't understand.

If you can come up with a valid argument as to why paying somebody based on their merit, or demanding a wage based on your own merit is a bad idea, I am all ears. In my opinion the only folks who don't want to get paid what they are worth are those currently making more than they're worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
You specifically asked when the last time a Con-Way employee got a merit raise, implying that it doesn't happen.

Your point was for everybody to infer that folks who bust their ass don't make any more than the slugs because merit raises don't happen and that I am no better off than the slugs. But since that isn't the case I wanted you to elaborate on your point, but since your point was refuted, you claim I wouldn't understand.

If you can come up with a valid argument as to why paying somebody based on their merit, or demanding a wage based on your own merit is a bad idea, I am all ears. In my opinion the only folks who don't want to get paid what they are worth are those currently making more than they're worth.
I would never make an arguement against being paid what someone is worth. Your point was to infer to everyone that drivers get raises based on effort or ability, we both know that is not the way it is at Con-Way. The fact that you redirect my statements to something totally irrelevent tells everyone the validity of your opinion. The redirection is typical of Con-Way management.

I would never make an arguement against being paid what someone is worth. Your point was to infer to everyone that drivers get raises based on effort or ability, we both know that is not the way it is at Con-Way.

My point was that if you vote in a union, you do not have the ability to negotiate for a wage based on your merit. Period. If you interpreted my words to say mean anything different, it's now clearer. If you vote in a Union there are folks other than drivers who will likely be covered under that agreement. Some of those folks now get raises based on their merit. You are now saying taking that ability away from someone is a bad thing. So which is it? Merit and wage? or Seniority date and wage?

My point was that if you vote in a union, you do not have the ability to negotiate for a wage based on your merit. Period. If you interpreted my words to say mean anything different, it's now clearer. If you vote in a Union there are folks other than drivers who will likely be covered under that agreement. Some of those folks now get raises based on their merit. You are now saying taking that ability away from someone is a bad thing. So which is it? Merit and wage? or Seniority date and wage?

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda. Let's look at the facts.
1. All Con-Way hrly employees are on a wage schedule ie. starting pay thru top rate, no variation.
2. Typically only hrly employees are included in bargaining unit.
3 The company has shown that indiv. merit has no merit.
4.Seniority is the only thing you have.
In conclusion ,the answer is seniority and wages are the only thing that matters, so, if you want anything from the company it will need to be negotiated.

We have seniority, and some people roll the dice with being a kiss ass. At the end of the day, we all have cameras in the trucks. Tell me where to sign to get rid of those!

We have seniority, and some people roll the dice with being a kiss ass. At the end of the day, we all have cameras in the trucks. Tell me where to sign to get rid of those!

If we had eliminated lean and the cameras we could have been well over goal. Even with the weather.

Just bad management trying to hang on to bad ideas.

So you are for wages based only on seniority, but would never make an argument against a system where wages are based on merit. Clear as mud now...

The way you twist words, it's obvious you like mud. You obviously hope that if you create enough mud no one will be able to see what you really are. I believe you are going to have sucessful career in management. The confusion you create is the reason drivers continue to get screwed.