FedEx Freight | Union?

RC would be drawing from Western States. They've got a lot more money.
But let's ask the bigger question.
How is it that UPS (not just freight) can be a union company, paying those exorbitant wages and benefits, funding a very nice pension plan on their own, how is it that they can afford all these things and still be profitable?

Just sayin

And they don't charge near the amount that FedEx does.

I'm off my 1900 for now, but what about the future?

By: John Brose, East Liberty, Ohio Retired, Local 413 I'm a retired truck driver of thirty years. I worked for Smith Transfer in Columbus, Ohio, in 1977 till they went bankrupt in 1988. I went to Consolidated Freightways till they went bankrupt in 2002. Then Roadway Express until they merged with Yellow Freight and I was laid off never to be called back. So I had to retire in 2009 with over thirty years of service. Every week I worked 70 hours driving in all weather. Every week these companies put money in the Central States Fund for my pension.I worked hard and even took less in wages for more pension benefits.We had no vote on the Central States Pension Trustees or their policies. I've heard all their excuses but these pension fund trustees keep drawing their enormous salaries, for what? They even let UPS pull out of the pension fund.I ask officials of the NCCMP to come up with a plan that does not cut our pensions down to as low as $1,100 per month! I wish you had to live under our pensions; then this plan would not exist.When you bring this scheme to cut our pensions to Congress, I would like to be invited to speak for all of the retired men and women and show Congress how destructive this would be. When a truck driver has been retired for a few years, it is almost impossible to get another driving job. If you cut our pensions, it will be devastating to us.

#1 it hasn't happened so you are dealing in what ifs
#2 CSPF is only one of many pension funds
#3 simply negotiate to keep your current retirement plan. Many union companies are not in the pension funds and have 401k's instead

Everybody says tbe union isn't doing anything for us. Well then you must not ever been a union member , because it take unitiy and all the members to stand united, beause U are the union.:usa2:

#1 it hasn't happened so you are dealing in what ifs
#2 CSPF is only one of many pension funds
#3 simply negotiate to keep your current retirement plan. Many union companies are not in the pension funds and have 401k's instead

February 26, 2013: The Hoffa administration has signed on to a joint employer-union proposal to allow "deeply troubled" pension funds to slash accrued benefits, even for Teamsters who have already retired.

This proposal, which is aimed squarely at the Teamster Central States Fund, comes from the National Coordinating Committee for Multiemployer Plans, a committee of employers, unions and pension plans.

The union is gonna save you right out of a job while they line their pockets. FedEx wouldn't think twice about inverting all road runs out of there just to break the union. The freight would just be delivered from elsewhere while FedEx says "we need to save money". And then they'll hire twice as many city drivers...not like they're not already doing that. 4 hours a day for everyone! Sounds like a great deal. /sarcasm

fed ex is already farming our work out to the shiny wheels,its not about the retirement its about job security, I have watched many of my friends get fired for bs, we need job security bad,and a clear set of work rules,and as far as the union lining there pockets, have you checked out how much our crapy insurance is, now how much does yrc pay abf pay ups pay?????? for better insurance...... dues 2 half times your hourly wage a month?????I pay about 320 amonth right now.for crap how is your morale at your service center ours sucks

Morale is going to suck a whole lot more when half of you get laid off. I'm a contractor. Our biggest grievance is that FedEx doesn't want to issue a new contract to pay us more. But they're still the best pay in the business, and I would rather know my job is secure because I work hard instead of paying someone to keep lazy schmucks employed. The rules are only a moving target to people who aren't interested in doing their job right.

My wife was in the hospital for 10 days the bill was 56, 000 and it cost me 200 dollars not to bad and that was the deductable thankz for the union.

The union is gonna save you right out of a job while they line their pockets. FedEx wouldn't think twice about inverting all road runs out of there just to break the union. The freight would just be delivered from elsewhere while FedEx says "we need to save money". And then they'll hire twice as many city drivers...not like they're not already doing that. 4 hours a day for everyone! Sounds like a great deal. /sarcasm

Negotiate a 8 hour guarantee and limits on sub contracting. Problem solved.

Hell of a way to solve the problem. Tell that to all the guys that get laid off. And that's assuming that FedEx wouldn't strip down or completely close the service centers before the contract negotiations.

Hell of a way to solve the problem. Tell that to all the guys that get laid off. And that's assuming that FedEx wouldn't strip down or completely close the service centers before the contract negotiations.

Why would they layoff? The freight wouldn't dissapear and would still require drivers to haul it.

OK yrc-atm I see you have solved all our problems. Your wasting your time driving a truck. We need you as our chief negotiator. Since your in charge, are we going to be in the master freight agreement, or are you going to deal with Uncle Freddy directly? Will we have our own contract like UPS? Speaking of UPS they gave up on the guaranteed 8 hours, although there is a limit on using outside carriers and trains.

OK yrc-atm I see you have solved all our problems. Your wasting your time driving a truck. We need you as our chief negotiator. Since your in charge, are we going to be in the master freight agreement, or are you going to deal with Uncle Freddy directly? Will we have our own contract like UPS? Speaking of UPS they gave up on the guaranteed 8 hours, although there is a limit on using outside carriers and trains.

I never said I solved all your problems just merely showing how your points are invalid. I'm sorry you can't handle it when someone refutes them.* No I don't want to negotiate for you. That should be up to you. And in actuality not YOU as YOU are retired and don't have these problems to solve. The active employees have problems to solve.

:cuss: No **** you work under a contract. and you have a strong opinion for someone who is not a freight driver :usa2:

I'm as entitled to my opinion as you are. And I am a Freight driver, last time I checked. I just have a contract with FedEx Freight Canada. That's how we do things up here. I wear the uniform and fly the flag, pal, just like any of you. The difference between you and I, is that I'm self employed. And I'm quite happy to leave it that way. I don't need the Teamsters reaching into my pocket. The tax man takes enough already. I'm paid well and I'm happy to have a job at all in the current economic climate.
You go ahead and rally for the union. Knock yourself out. But all it takes is a look at the UPS board to know that their biggest gripe is that the union isn't doing anything for them.

I'm just like you. Not a FedEx fright driver. BUT you work under contract ! Under contract. Yes under a contract with set rules and wages. Wasn't one of your posts talking about how your wages are kinda pissing you off ? Maybe a few of you contractors outta stick together and do something about that. Kinda sounds familiar to something.
Not sure how things are in Canada but by your posts they are very different. FedEx freight has no contractors YET. Maybe your a pilot program. Speaking of pilots.
I don't have a dog in this fight. But I do enjoy calling out BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just like you. Not a FedEx fright driver. BUT you work under contract ! Under contract. Yes under a contract with set rules and wages. Wasn't one of your posts talking about how your wages are kinda pissing you off ? Maybe a few of you contractors outta stick together and do something about that. Kinda sounds familiar to something.
Not sure how things are in Canada but by your posts they are very different. FedEx freight has no contractors YET. Maybe your a pilot program. Speaking of pilots.
I don't have a dog in this fight. But I do enjoy calling out BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm perfectly fine with my pay every week. The city drivers and extra board drivers are the ones with a problem. City guys started with a fixed rate plus picks and drops. They lost that when they got lazy. We're not a pilot program; we've been contractors since before FedEx. And to be frank, FedEx would sooner pack up the Canadian division than let us unionize. They'd just do what they did before, and what UPS Freight still does. Use an outside carrier. I know my history. When Consolidated Freightways closed their doors because the union wouldn't play ball, the game changed. And FedEx is well known for their heavy handed tactics in dealing with the union.

I'm perfectly fine with my pay every week. The city drivers and extra board drivers are the ones with a problem. City guys started with a fixed rate plus picks and drops. They lost that when they got lazy. We're not a pilot program; we've been contractors since before FedEx. And to be frank, FedEx would sooner pack up the Canadian division than let us unionize. They'd just do what they did before, and what UPS Freight still does. Use an outside carrier. I know my history. When Consolidated Freightways closed their doors because the union wouldn't play ball, the game changed. And FedEx is well known for their heavy handed tactics in dealing with the union.
CF closed their doors because the conway companies bled it out. You don't know your history at all.