FedEx Freight | Union?

I thought Watkins was also purchased for the Canada Coverage. I could be wrong, since Vitran is supposedly like #2 up there. I also heard working at Vitran is like #2.

Watkins Canada Express wasn't a particularly large company at the time FedEx bought it. Watkins opened one service center and provided a fleet of new trailers for a company running equipment that dated mostly to the 1980's in the three years they owned us. Prior to the buyout, Watkins was Fairway Canadian Express' biggest customer. To date, we're still a small company. We just have a big name on the front door that inflates all the egos at head office.

very well said mr sticky finger I hope you all do well...all this union bashing well I guess policemen firefighters teachers all must be bad cuz guesss what they are all in a union I guess since the unions are so bad the next time I need a cop or my house is on fire or my child needs a education I wont call or send my kid to school cuz of those money hungry unions...REALLY thank you for your effort ihope people at fed ex wake up before its to late
My community has volunteers, and have no problem receiving donations of gratitude. I guess our teachers still do it for the love of the job to since they volunteer alot of time in after school activities as well as community service.

J.B. Hunt was good for that- they actually had crews or teams that went out and returned abandoned equipment- not too pretty. I heard it was quite common after the super seven started after 1991. If you do it it now, I heard you get fine and some jail time.
Well they're not now. I don't think they have been for years. Weren't they one of the companies that did the work release programs? I know that it used to be that you'd find their trucks abandoned when their guys would throw up their hands and quit.

as opposed to being paid fairly

Define fairly? Because the going rate virtually industry wide is $0.48/mi. I make a lot more than that, and I consider that more than fair considering the alternatives. If everyone was unionized, a loaf of bread would cost a fortune. You're never going to convince me that unions make things fair when I worked under a union that never saw me get more hours or better pay. When I see all the auto workers talk about their 4 cars, motorcycle, boat, jetski and cottage like it's some kind of entitlement because the union gets them paid "fairly". You know what fair is? Being home to see your family every day and still being able to take care of them. I've been in the position where making money was costing me more than I was getting back. I've been in the position where I lost everything that mattered because of truly unfair wages. I make more money now than I ever thought I would be able to. My wages are just fine, and I don't need a union to get them.

Define fairly? Because the going rate virtually industry wide is $0.48/mi. I make a lot more than that, and I consider that more than fair considering the alternatives. If everyone was unionized, a loaf of bread would cost a fortune. You're never going to convince me that unions make things fair when I worked under a union that never saw me get more hours or better pay. When I see all the auto workers talk about their 4 cars, motorcycle, boat, jetski and cottage like it's some kind of entitlement because the union gets them paid "fairly". You know what fair is? Being home to see your family every day and still being able to take care of them. I've been in the position where making money was costing me more than I was getting back. I've been in the position where I lost everything that mattered because of truly unfair wages. I make more money now than I ever thought I would be able to. My wages are just fine, and I don't need a union to get them.

Obviously not you are content to take what the give you. Oh by the way .48 is drivers wages the fact that you make "a lot more than that" well you should with the cost of fuel,truck payment, ins. maintenance etc. do a cost analyst and get back to me with how much less than .48 you make

Obviously not you are content to take what the give you.

Clearly you aren't. And you are also clearly cherry picking from my replies instead of answering properly. You're drinking koolaid too, it's just not purple. You believe the union is the solution to a problem that a lot of people don't seem to have with FedEx. We whine here, sure. But the union isn't going to turn the redshirts into truck drivers or get all the old rot box trailers off the road. They aren't magical deities that will make all the trucks and trailers brand new and impossible to break. They're not going to get a shop put into every yard. Most of the complaints I see here, the union has no way to fix.

Have any of you Nay-sayers ever sat for weeks on end while being "employed" by someone, only to have them tell you there wasn't enough work to keep you running every night? All the while, freight is being crammed onto another carrier's trailer because it makes better business sense? This push isn't about us being lazy. It isn't about us being unhappy with our jobs. This isn't about us wanting to cause hate and discontent. It is about demanding that the company that we have sacrificed so much to build, has now become morally bankrupt, and trying to get it back on track. It is about us standing up to the abhorrent business practice of downsizing by attrition. Newsflash: the linehaul board at KCY issmaller than it was before the merge. Do you think that is because there isn't enough freight? They have bled us by attrition, and are not actively replacing us, because the future is glaring right at us. Rail and purchase. 60% of our freight is moving by this method, and that is only going to increase. Not because they can't afford to pay us, but because they choose not to afford to pay us. That is what this whole push is about. JOB SECURITY. If you blinded few can't see that, then I invite you to walk in our shoes this winter. Post after post I've asked that you try to see it from our perspective, yet you still dare to judge us, though you don't know us. Discount our cause by saying we are simply malcontents. Shame on each and every one of you for doing so. We aren't only doing this for ourselves, but for you as well. We are the ones sticking our necks on the line, to secure our futures with this company. A simple thank you would suffice.

. . . and their pay & benefits are still higher than your's!

Only if you use Missouri math.

You non FedEx employees need to stay out of the FedEx union discussions if all you are going to do is throw gasoline on the fire. Please be respectful.

Guardrail

I was an American Freight worker. I remember when AF had trucks with no power steering or AC in the city. I'm making more money, better benefits, and better equipment than when we were AF. When I started with AF you worked the dock until you were able to bid the city, and then bid the road. We have drivers now that would rather set at home for no pay than work the dock, shuttle, or run weekends. Can't feel sorry for you if you don't want to work. And when it comes to Purchase and Rail. What Union shipper doesn't use Purchase or Rail. For every 1 Fed Ex trailer at the Rail you have about 50 UPS trailers. Last time I looked UPS was Union. And yes I have been to the Rail Yard and seen it first hand. And last but not least Fed Ex did not ship Rail until they bought out Watkins which was already shipping Rail at that time. So blame Watkins if you don't like Rail.
Blame Watkins if we don't like the fact that Fred is putting our freight on rail? Is that like blaming Bush for Obama's incompetence? SMDH

RC would be drawing from Western States. They've got a lot more money.
But let's ask the bigger question.
How is it that UPS (not just freight) can be a union company, paying those exorbitant wages and benefits, funding a very nice pension plan on their own, how is it that they can afford all these things and still be profitable?

Just sayin
Yeah your right! However UPS is no longer in the teamster pension fund, they have their own.

Clearly you aren't. And you are also clearly cherry picking from my replies instead of answering properly. You're drinking koolaid too, it's just not purple. You believe the union is the solution to a problem that a lot of people don't seem to have with FedEx. We whine here, sure. But the union isn't going to turn the redshirts into truck drivers or get all the old rot box trailers off the road. They aren't magical deities that will make all the trucks and trailers brand new and impossible to break. They're not going to get a shop put into every yard. Most of the complaints I see here, the union has no way to fix.

I have to pick your answers apart it's the only way they make sense. Having a single truck leased to any company is far far away from being in business. you have not answered a single question I have asked, you just come back with some bs about junk equipment. I will leave you with this thought, Take a dollar evry time you do something you are not compensated for for one year and count it. then tell me what good deal you have

Yeah your right! However UPS is no longer in the teamster pension fund, they have their own.

I guess "funding a very nice pension plan on their own" wasn't clear enough.
Should have shouted and put it in bold caps.

Nice avatar, BTW, sitting around the corner from one of their old facilities right now.

Work rules,grievance procedures,job security,guaranteed time off,voting on any major changes,good benfits and on andon some of the things you use every day as a union member with contract beter to work with a contract then with out one always......enough said!!!!!

I have to pick your answers apart it's the only way they make sense. Having a single truck leased to any company is far far away from being in business. you have not answered a single question I have asked, you just come back with some bs about junk equipment. I will leave you with this thought, Take a dollar evry time you do something you are not compensated for for one year and count it. then tell me what good deal you have
I've answered all of your questions, you just ignored the answers because of a one dimensional point of view. And since when was it only one truck? You don't know me or my business. We're compensated plenty here. FedEx plates the truck, safeties it, and pays half of the fuel. I get to choose whatever truck I want as long as it's white and newer than 5 years old. I live 15 minutes from work, my bills are paid, and my savings account is happy. I'm compensated for time wasted by FedEx after 3 hours. I'm compensated for everything I do at work, last I checked.

I would simply prefer to agree to disagree instead of further arguing. I know this much: FedEx Corporation is anti-union to the point of paying fines for wrongful dismissal to stop it. A friend of mine is a member of the IBT, and I've seen how they treat him. Compound that with the fact that a lot of guys just don't want to unionize, and saying that you pro union guys have an uphill battle on your hands would be a profound understatement.

On the topic of unions, I heard from someone at TOL a while back that contractors aren't allowed at the Chicago center. He seemed to believe it was a union shop over there, and that was why. Can anyone verify that? I'm just curious to know.

Fxfc you made your point , honestly we get it your a contactor with no rights to his own business, you want to get out but the money is just good enough to not leave..

You give fxf up 3 hours free ,damn that's a long lunch too bad u can't step foot on the dock with those sandals and load ur trls.

.. How much do you charge 4 detention with power anyway?

UPS bought there way out of the Central States Pension Fund, which is in financial trouble. The 44K UPS employees are now covered by their own pension plan. The rest of the UPS employees are still covered by various teamster pension plans.