Yellow | UTILITY DRIVERS NOW?

I retired 20 years ago. Can someone tell me what a Utility Driver is? Velocity Driver? When I was working we had road drivers and city drivers. That's all. Thanks.

I retired 20 years ago. Can someone tell me what a Utility Driver is? Velocity Driver? When I was working we had road drivers and city drivers. That's all. Thanks.
Utility drivers can work any job classification. Road, dock, yard, fuel truck.
They basically want them to run from terminal to break bulk, put their trailers to the dock, unload and reload them, and head back to their origin.
Velocity were supposed to be basically a quick turn road driver relaying short haul freight, but they aren’t even using them anywhere that I know of anymore.

They basically want them to run from terminal to break bulk, put their trailers to the dock, unload and reload them, and head back to their origin.
Velocity were supposed to be basically a quick turn road driver relaying short haul freight, but they aren’t even using them anywhere that I know of anymore.
Yes that’s basically perfectly said. I really don’t know what a road driver is. I’m assuming a road driver would be a team operation. Because drivers going from TERMINAL to TERMINAL and going to the hotel and or meets/turns And then returning back to their original home terminal. We would call those line drivers. I guess I’ve seen other companies call them road drivers as well. Wouldn’t a Velocity driver maybe even be a team operation? Because they would go from brake bulk terminal to break bulk terminal.

A lot of "road drivers" will be in for a rude awakening when they have to work the dock during the winter in the Central and East. I can remember when laid-off road drivers would sign up to work the dock and show up in January in a jean jacket and cowboy boots and expect to survive on the dock!

JulyTroys228189096d1d433df.md.jpg
:wtflol:

According to the glossary of the new contract, a "Velocity Driver" is any driver who exceeds 46 mph in the US, or 76 km/h while driving in Canada.

One Yellow Expedited division uses a 47 mph average to guarantee next month service to the contiguous US.

According to the glossary of the new contract, a "Velocity Driver" is any driver who exceeds 46 mph in the US, or 76 km/h while driving in Canada.

One Yellow Expedited division uses a 47 mph average to guarantee next month service to the contiguous US.
That’s why they don’t have velocity drivers anymore. They were deemed unsafe at 47, and shuttle drivers now handle those duties.
The company has found that if they need something done on time, and done efficiently, they call in the experts with their tandems.

Yes that’s basically perfectly said. I really don’t know what a road driver is. I’m assuming a road driver would be a team operation. Because drivers going from TERMINAL to TERMINAL and going to the hotel and or meets/turns And then returning back to their original home terminal. We would call those line drivers. I guess I’ve seen other companies call them road drivers as well. Wouldn’t a Velocity driver maybe even be a team operation? Because they would go from brake bulk terminal to break bulk terminal.
Team drivers are not velocity. YRC’s use of road drivers is not cost efficient in moving freight these days. The road operations way of moving freight here hasn’t changed in 30 years enough to compete with other LTL’s .Too much time spent paying the driver waiting in the break room for drops, hooks, fuel, dock, hotels,and other delays, that would be offset by utility drivers. It won’t be perfect, will have more fork freight Friday’s than they have now. I guess give it 6 months to a year from when the change is implemented, and see how it is working out.

I was a combo when I got hired in Alton, Illinois. They closed it moved us to STL. I was a City driver for 4 years. Transferred to Quincy became a combo again. When the UE opened up I took that until I retired. 40 1/2 years made a good living for myself and my family. The whole trip was great as long you didn't mind WORK.