Central Transport | Vitran will stand alone?

manny is a multi billionaire and owns half of the Detroit metro area,including a run down abandoned train station. you don't do that unless your making money

I do not doubt he makes big bucks. I have no doubt in his ability. My question is does CT make money? No one knows because it is a private company.

The only evidence for if CT makes money or not is to look at the pay for drivers and equipment. For example: Dayton Freight. We have no financial reports proving they make money. However, when you go to a Dayton facility, see their trucks on the road and talk to the drivers about pay etc it sure seems Dayton is making money.

It seems if CT was making killer money the trucks and terminals would be clean and the drivers would make what drivers make at other places that profit big money like Old Dominion or Fed Ex.

I understand why V has junk equipment and dirty facilities with craters in the yard and sub-standard pay...it is because V is broke.

they make money. he pays employees minimal, o.t. is after 55, hardly any money stuck in maintence, revolving door of employees so they never get high on pay or vac time. he even owns the health insurance company from my understanding.

I think that you personally know 2 highly intelligent individuals that are looking out for your well being!!!!! I told you that i am WICKED SMART!

So whats left to say?
Take off and have a nice life.
There is a lot of info to go through
Make a decision that fits you best.
I've been advised to hang on for the time being.
And see if I like any of the changes.
But also to use that time to see if better opportunities open up.
But I bet I see a lot of the same guys posting on this board for a long time

One word (HOLLAND) its your only hope.
Sure because no one on the Holland board ever complains about their equipment or the operation. Holland is probably a great place to work if you have 20 years in but I hear about a lot of guys that get hired in the busy times and are on lay off when its slow and that's not just at our local either.

Sure because no one on the Holland board ever complains about their equipment or the operation. Holland is probably a great place to work if you have 20 years in but I hear about a lot of guys that get hired in the busy times and are on lay off when its slow and that's not just at our local either.

They can't complain... They are unionized.

i remember years ago the union drivers would gather at a place of business and talk about how much they were making and the toys they just bought. lately they gather and talk about concessions they took and the support payments they have to pay. oh, the good old days.

Do you really believe that? Based on your opinion or facts.
Trust me based on fact look for a new job. All I can say is
I know people within and the word is hostile takeover.

That sounds like FedEx heads rolling in the streets.

i remember years ago the union drivers would gather at a place of business and talk about how much they were making and the toys they just bought. lately they gather and talk about concessions they took and the support payments they have to pay. oh, the good old days.

Tops scale Road Drivers at Holland gross $1800+ a week. And that is with a 15% give back. Don't be believe me . . . ask one.

One word (HOLLAND) its your only hope.

I just made the jump to Holland from Central 6 months ago and haven't looked back since. OT after 8, free health insurance, maintained equipment, non forceful management. Even with the concessions I am taking home more every week than I did a CT. I know our barn is hiring road and city guys and am pretty sure that is company wide. So if you have a clean record I would recommend applying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tops scale Road Drivers at Holland gross $1800+ a week. And that is with a 15% give back. Don't be believe me . . . ask one.
I believe you because I used to make $1800 a week before CK restructured linehaul, and I wasn't the only one making that kind of money. Look, you want to go work for Holland go work for them, if you can ride the ups and downs it will probably be a good move. We had 2 guys leave for Holland,the first one usually works 5 days a week, the second one started out at 5 subbing for vacations but is now down to 2-3.
FedEx, Con-way, OD all pay good, if jackman was trying to make a joke then I apologize for not getting it.

. The $1800 gross after a 15% give back is good, but to me the real benefit is the healthcare in retirement and the pension. I do not really think most people understand the financial and mental benefits of it.

. The $1800 gross after a 15% give back is good, but to me the real benefit is the healthcare in retirement and the pension. I do not really think most people understand the financial and mental benefits of it.

keep in mind that health insurance and pension aren't guaranteed. If you live in the area covered by the central states fund I would be concerned about the long term promises, at some point the teamsters are going to have to deal with the funding issue. I'm not anti union, UPS is looking for semi drivers right now but it is seasonal, if it were full time you would see me doing a burnout in Vitran's lot to get over there.

keep in mind that health insurance and pension aren't guaranteed. If you live in the area covered by the central states fund I would be concerned about the long term promises, at some point the teamsters are going to have to deal with the funding issue. I'm not anti union, UPS is looking for semi drivers right now but it is seasonal, if it were full time you would see me doing a burnout in Vitran's lot to get over there.

These people are working at Vitran where life is pretty much over and you're worried about "maybe this or that could happen" with Central States. Amazing!

Meet your new TM:

190px-Kool_Aid_Man.jpeg

must be a different Holland other than Holland owned by YRC. These people have given concession's over and over yet no Union dues break. Oh yeah, I remember "Holland Express" is still fruitful and not affiliated with YRC Holland. YRC almost put the old USF Holland into bankruptcy after it acquired the company and then sent an apologetic letter to Holland Executive's and it's employees for mis-managing them.

Your union dues are based on two times your hourly wage. Your hourly wage goes down, so do your union dues. They are still receiving BC/BS 80/20 with vision and dental at no cost to them.