FedEx Freight | Voluntary Furloughs

I would walk away from 20 plus years at the old purple promise if I could get on full time at UPS parcel! Unfortunately they are not hiring in my area, but man the thought of a real pension, better insurance, and job security would be nice......

I would too, but I don't trust them. And call me sick, but I like delivering packages lol

Well most of the guys that went to UPS were sitting at home looking at the phone for Fedex. And we’re probably going to be laid off on in August after this furlough.

I can see why they would do that. As for August layoffs, I don't know. Our state is still shutdown with a bunch of service hold trailers sitting in the yard. And if the government pushes that unemployment incentive, top guys would jump on it again.

There are a lot of unknowns in the near future and long-term, but I wish everybody the best. I hope those guys that went Brown did the right thing and that the guys stay put are doing the right thing.

The only advice I would give is to keep that CDL valid no matter what.

Around here you get to feeder by being full time temp. Approx 8 months per year for two years. Top rate, no benies. Obviously hiring in for real depends on openings (retirements, growth). Then you start at bottom rate like a new employee.

Around here you get to feeder by being full time temp. Approx 8 months per year for two years. Top rate, no benies. Obviously hiring in for real depends on openings (retirements, growth). Then you start at bottom rate like a new employee.

That's what it was when I went in for orientation about 3 years ago.

I will say though, this is the time to do it. Nobody is looking for a job right now because they're making a killing on unemployment. UPS might be desperate, never know.

Now that I have a CDL, it would be mine too. Plenty of places here hire part time CDL if you have experience. And with the explosion of App services, I think I could make it work. I think I'm talking myself into going Brown lol
I’m 2nd senior linehaul. 530 meet. I’ll leave when they make me.

UPS is putting on a bunch of sleeper runs and 2 of the guys worked temp for 2 months then were hired full time the other 3 just started as temp and are working 14 hours a day making 30 an hour and time and a half after 8. They went straight to feeder.

UPS is putting on a bunch of sleeper runs and 2 of the guys worked temp for 2 months then were hired full time the other 3 just started as temp and are working 14 hours a day making 30 an hour and time and a half after 8. They went straight to feeder.

If that's what it is, I might apply and see what they're offering. Worst they can do is say no or it might not be for me. I don't want to shave my face though :mad new:

I know of one yard doing a second furlough of city. Have seen on Facebook that some yards are recalling furloughed driver's. Claim is you get an email on Friday to report on Monday. If you no show, it's considered a voluntary separation.

I know of one yard doing a second furlough of city. Have seen on Facebook that some yards are recalling furloughed driver's. Claim is you get an email on Friday to report on Monday. If you no show, it's considered a voluntary separation.
As is often the case, "claims" on facebook are lacking reliability. Partly true, but rumors leave out significant detail.

In cases of partial recalls, a minimum of 1 week notice will apply.

Example:
The Fri. email is for a return 1 week after the following Monday. A 2nd email is to go out on the folowing Monday. You MUST respond by Tues (noon). Notification of recall status on Wed. If applicable, return on Monday.

Failure to respond forfeits all recall rights. Failure to show up when required MAY be considered abandonment of employment.

Last edited:
As is often the case, "claims" on facebook are lacking reliability. Partly true, but rumors leave out significant detail.

Example:
The Fri. email is for a return 1 week after the following Monday. A 2nd email is to go out on the folowing Monday. You MUST respond by Tues (noon). Notification of recall status on Wed. If applicable, return on Monday.

Failure to respond forfeits all recall rights. Failure to show up when required MAY be considered abandonment of employment.
Also recalls are done in seniority order. If a senior driver passes on early recall then they go down the list “asking”. If no one volunteers to come back early, then they force from the bottom.

Example:

You're so right, claims on Facebook lack credibility, however, if you see it on TB or the internet, you can count on it being the gospel

Example:

Cant beat the facts

CLT has been using extra board city guys for Road runs the past 2 weeks on Thursdays or Fridays. And Road & City both have a piece of the pie over at Ground.. City is using the "cleaning crew" bid guys to drive after about 5 hours of cleaning which then gives them 1-2 hours OT.. slowly picking up and if things keep up I think they will soon recall if they panic

Last edited:
Kind of funny that almost no one has offered followup info on how things are going. Are we left to assume that those not on furlough are working plenty? The dire predictions, not so dire?

Many (or most) locations must be starting to push the OT metric beyond the acceptable level, since several locations are starting to call some drivers back from furlough.

Kind of funny that almost no one has offered followup info on how things are going. Are we left to assume that those not on furlough are working plenty? The dire predictions, not so dire?

Many (or most) locations must be starting to push the OT metric beyond the acceptable level, since several locations are starting to call some drivers back from furlough.

I've been driving everyday and so have the guys under me. That's not normal, normally one of us goes out once in a while. The dock workers and drivers that work the dock have been getting about 10 hours a day. Also not normal. Before COVID, it was a struggle to get 8 hours.