FedEx Freight | Voluntary Furloughs

Kind of funny that almost no one has offered followup info on how things are going. Are we left to assume that those not on furlough are working plenty? The dire predictions, not so dire?

Many (or most) locations must be starting to push the OT metric beyond the acceptable level, since several locations are starting to call some drivers back from furlough.
656 miles and 19 hrs dock in 4 days. Then 619 miles in one night. Guessing the boys on top were to tired to run on a friday night. The joys of changing job class and going to the bottom.

I’ve been working harder than I want to. There is some really creative dispatching happening in the northeast. I had 17 drops and hooks on a 510 mile hub turn last week.

I’ve been making 300-500 more a week since I jumped on this furloughed dude’s bid. It’s not a hub turn but I take all the vias and kick outs they give me so it’s been a good paying few weeks. But hopefully I’ll get on the city soon. A lot of guys due to retire soon. (60-75 years old) This road money is good but I can’t see myself doing this for the rest of my career. After 5 years of running night line haul I understand why it pays good. Your trading A life for money IMO. But I’m riding this money train as long as I can.

I’ve been making 300-500 more a week since I jumped on this furloughed dude’s bid. It’s not a hub turn but I take all the vias and kick outs they give me so it’s been a good paying few weeks. But hopefully I’ll get on the city soon. A lot of guys due to retire soon. (60-75 years old) This road money is good but I can’t see myself doing this for the rest of my career. After 5 years of running night line haul I understand why it pays good. Your trading A life for money IMO. But I’m riding this money train as long as I can.
Don't worry. Our hub is calling all of us back. I'm sure you'll have a little time off soon

Don't worry. Our hub is calling all of us back. I'm sure you'll have a little time off soon
I haven’t missed a day due to being cancelled at all during the red China flu. I’ve may of gotten a worse run but I still worked. Kicking myself in the butt for not abusing the no attendance policy while I could.

Well every driver furloughed keeps 40 hours off the books plus allowed OT so maybe that cost is being used for extra OT.

Our furloughed people have been back for a week now. Although I do think massive sweeping shutdowns are inevitable in the coming weeks. Think the worse is yet to come. I wonder if they will do the furlough thing again or just do layoffs?

I went from running 70 miles a day to minimum 400 a day for the last 2 months. Being on the extra board I travel to a bunch of Midwest centers and have noticed all the terminals picking up Significantly the last 2-3 weeks. I’m not one of those lazy guys that sits in his truck for 2-3 hours waiting for his loads to be ready. The truth of the matter is most of our terminals furloughed too many drivers and 50% of our drivers are getting via’s before and or after a run each night now. Ima take what I can for another month and run with it. I heard a bunch of centers brought back a few drivers already so hang in there boys.

I went from running 70 miles a day to minimum 400 a day for the last 2 months. Being on the extra board I travel to a bunch of Midwest centers and have noticed all the terminals picking up Significantly the last 2-3 weeks. I’m not one of those lazy guys that sits in his truck for 2-3 hours waiting for his loads to be ready. The truth of the matter is most of our terminals furloughed too many drivers and 50% of our drivers are getting via’s before and or after a run each night now. Ima take what I can for another month and run with it. I heard a bunch of centers brought back a few drivers already so hang in there boys.
Enjoy it. When those furloughed guys come back it will be back to reality. That’s why I jumped ship and went to UPS. Already on a 4 day sleeper run, and making the same money on UPS bottom scale as I was on Fedex top scale. Oh and the retirement and healthcare is better. I spent 11 years at FedEx freight, the furloughs and EMERGENCY coding were the last straws for me.

Enjoy it. When those furloughed guys come back it will be back to reality. That’s why I jumped ship and went to UPS. Already on a 4 day sleeper run, and making the same money on UPS bottom scale as I was on Fedex top scale. Oh and the retirement and healthcare is better. I spent 11 years at FedEx freight, the furloughs and EMERGENCY coding were the last straws for me.
Did you join parcel or freight?

What is EMERGENCY coding, not asking for a friend, asking for myself.