SAIA | We need a union and we need it now!

Exactly, if it's unsafe and they try to force you to drive it. Call safety!!! Not very likely you would be fired for insubordination because you refuse to drive an unsafe truck.

Chicago use to get pissed when I refused to drive a truck down. I didn't care. They wanted me to take a truck down that had bad injectors and a broken hood that wouldn't latch. They tried for a week to get me to take it down. When they realized that it wasn't safe they finally stopped bugging me and the truck ended up in the shop for a month then I had to take it down with a broken hood still.

I understand your situation and it's a tough one to buck the local managers. If the terminal puts a tractor back into service, and a city guy uses it, that's on the city guy and his license, and God forbid, if something happens, it's also on the locals for putting it back into service. All you can do is protect your license and go find another tractor. If the locals insist on you using what you think is an unsafe tractor, call Central and talk to Abadie or another manager. Just be right and be able to document anything that you report.
I would talk to someone in safety before I would talk to Abadie. Just my personal opinion .

I agree that driving unsafe equipment is a huge no-no. The worst I had was a meet at about 2:30AM in the middle of nowhere. The other guy brought me the rear pup and dolly were both past inspection , and had tires that were a combination of bald and flat spots. I asked him why he brought them to me like that, and he shrugged it off. When I called to dispatch, she asked if I thought I could get them back safely. How am I supposed to answer that? I replied "I don't know, flip a coin". Got back (luckily) and left a note for the TM. And...no follow up, no write up, no repercussions. That creates an environment of Saia looking the other way and enabling the bad apples to ruin the batch. Sad.

I believe ABF ... YRC ... HOLLAND ... UPSF ... are hiring. If you want that Union Utopia. Go for it. You will never find it at SAIA. The union has a defective product. It encourages mediocrity in the work place. That's not acceptable at SAIA LTL FREIGHT.
I am retired from Yellow and never went to work with anything in my mind but to do the best job for Yellow as I could, treat my customers with total respect, and enjoy the fellowship with other LTL companies drivers, union or non-union. You have some slow-walkers at all companies but please don't paint any company or union and non-union personnel with a wide brush by saying mediocrity is rampant. You are 100% wrong if that is your assumption. With that said, this is no time to jump on the union ship. Until the leadership changes and all union leaders get back to fighting and representing their members, you are just as well off there. Thank you for the conversation.

I believe ABF ... YRC ... HOLLAND ... UPSF ... are hiring. If you want that Union Utopia. Go for it. You will never find it at SAIA. The union has a defective product. It encourages mediocrity in the work place. That's not acceptable at SAIA LTL FREIGHT.
We protect our workers rights,Were not perfect,But after 39 years of driving a truck.I'll take the pension and insurance,and job security they provided for my family.Numero Uno for me.goomba .

Runaway train used to work as a supervisor,for Central Transport,He still has a management frame of mind.:butt kiss::duh:
Get it straight. It was Overnite and Vitran. I don't begrudge you for your choices. Just keep them over there. We are happy Union free so don't try to push that agenda over here. I've made a good life being Union free and could honestly retire now. As an old friend use to always say to me. I work because I want to, not because I have to. I'm debt free and have made good financial decisions. I don't need a Union to plan for my retirement. I don't need a Union to represent me. If I don't like the conditions I simply walk away. I don't want to pay Union dues to a corrupt organization. It's been more than documented in the Union forums on this site by your own members. I'm glad things worked out for you. Not everyone has been so lucky.

Last edited:
Get it straight. It was Overnite and Vitran. I don't begrudge you for your choices. Just keep them over there. We are happy Union free so don't try to push that agenda over here. I've made a good life being Union free and could honestly retire now. As an old friend use to always say to me. I work because I want to, not because I have to. I'm debt free and have made good financial decisions. I don't need a Union to plan for my retirement. I don't need a Union to represent me. If I don't like the condition I simply walk away. I don't want to pay Union dues to a corrupt organization. It's been more than documented in the Union forums on this site by your own members. I'm glad things worked out for you. Not everyone has been so lucky.
Good for you friend,When you retire you can make some Vino and buy some goats and make cheese,We not perfect,but we're better with than without

Get it straight. It was Overnite and Vitran. I don't begrudge you for your choices. Just keep them over there. We are happy Union free so don't try to push that agenda over here. I've made a good life being Union free and could honestly retire now. As an old friend use to always say to me. I work because I want to, not because I have to. I'm debt free and have made good financial decisions. I don't need a Union to plan for my retirement. I don't need a Union to represent me. If I don't like the conditions I simply walk away. I don't want to pay Union dues to a corrupt organization. It's been more than documented in the Union forums on this site by your own members. I'm glad things worked out for you. Not everyone has been so lucky.
You always say we. You have been at Saia for only 2 years but yet you are the self proclaimed spokeswoman for all drivers. Apparently not all have the same feelings as you do otherwise this thread would not exist. And I still dont see mod next to your handle so I dont think you have any place telling anyone where to or not to post their opinions.

You always say we. You have been at Saia for only 2 years but yet you are the self proclaimed spokeswoman for all drivers. Apparently not all have the same feelings as you do otherwise this thread would not exist. And I still dont see mod next to your handle so I dont think you have any place telling anyone where to or not to post their opinions.
Yes, I lost my Moderator position here because of people like you. See, I can't stay politically correct when it comes to jerks like you. I tell them what I think but they most certainly don't have to listen. Me and you will never agree, you should know that by now. Go console your poor brothers in the CSPF. Go where your needed. Your Teamsters poison most certainly isn't needed here.

Yes, I lost my Moderator position here because of people like you. See, I can't stay politically correct when it comes to jerks like you. I tell them what I think but they most certainly don't have to listen. Me and you will never agree, you should know that by now. Go console your poor brothers in the CSPF. Go where your needed. Your Teamsters poison most certainly isn't needed here.
Um, No.

Hmmm, I guess I have bad info. I always heard that HST city was owner/operator and union. Never made much sense to me.

Saia is mediocre ltl freight!!!

If Saia is a mediocre ltl freight I'm a tell management don't change nothing cause my checks be looking good big fella
Roadboss .. Cabby .. YRC ... Joe ... All these guys can't accept the fact that some companies are just happy Union free. We have some titty babies but the majority know we have it made. It kills these guys so they troll every thread looking to start trouble. I wear their scorn with pride and it drives them nuts. They can't accept the fact that the LTL MARKET is predominately union free for a reason. They can't get out of the past. It's truly pathetic.