ABF | Weather

ocaNp8P.jpg

There have been several sunsets since 66 has seen traffic.
I guess my post was vague enough to mislead. Only one stretch was still designated US 66. That was in Arizona. The rest was on Historic US 66.
Incidentally I've also been to Oatman, AZ. over the original alignment of US 66 from Kingman, AZ. As well as walked from Breezewood, PA. to Ray's Hill tunnel on one of the abandoned sections of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
That's me at the east portal of Ray's Hill Tunnel.

ocaNp8P.jpg

I guess my post was vague enough to mislead. Only one stretch was still designated US 66. That was in Arizona. The rest was on Historic US 66.
Incidentally I've also been to Oatman, AZ. over the original alignment of US 66 from Kingman, AZ. As well as walked from Breezewood, PA. to Ray's Hill tunnel on one of the abandoned sections of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
I didn't know that they existed. I get my kix on Rte 66 :hilarious:

ocaNp8P.jpg

Kingman, AZ. !!??
9RVLbR0.jpg

Is that where the old relay was?
I really don't know. From what I use to hear from the ABQ. line drivers, was the Roadway terminal yard in Kingman was expanded to take on triples. When triples from Springfield MO.( ? ), on I-40, to the west coast was shot down, Roadway gave up on a single man operation to the west coast and turned to a sleeper operation.

I really don't know. From what I use to hear from the ABQ. line drivers, was the Roadway terminal yard in Kingman was expanded to take on triples. When triples from Springfield MO.( ? ), on I-40, to the west coast was shot down, Roadway gave up on a single man operation to the west coast and turned to a sleeper operation.
And how was the weather?

Always hot and sunny in Kingman.
eMpHS3k.jpg
Once upon a time, way back when I was an O/O and on my way to the land of fruits and nuts I came across a weigh station somewhere in NM. It was sometime in February and the fox guarding the chicken coop was clad in a short sleeved shirt and I told him, "It must be nice to be able to come to work in a short sleeved shirt in February", he said something like, "This is the southwest, not the northeast", and waved me on.

It wasn't long after triples were shot down on I-40 to the west coast, that Roadway shut down it's Kingman operation.

I will date myself & admit that I drove on old 66. When I was a teenager a friend & I hauled a truck load of furniture from Little Rock to San Jose. It was illegal to do so but at the inspection stations the friend told the Revenue Rangers the furniture was his. I think they felt sorry for us because of the appearance of his truck. The truck was a converted dump truck. It didn't have A/C. That was a hot trip in July especially returning with a severe sun burn.
Also when I was in the military there was a stretch of 66 still open in Arizona. I drove it just before I 40 was opened. I wish I had take some pics of the highway & towns. I have traveled some of the old alignment since. I like the American West.

He's probably starting to realize freight brokers are the only native criminal class in America. I'll give him credit, though. It's a tough job when you're both the boss and only employee.
I know that you and I have been there, done that but who knows, he may do well.

I will date myself & admit that I drove on old 66. When I was a teenager a friend & I hauled a truck load of furniture from Little Rock to San Jose. It was illegal to do so but at the inspection stations the friend told the Revenue Rangers the furniture was his. I think they felt sorry for us because of the appearance of his truck. The truck was a converted dump truck. It didn't have A/C. That was a hot trip in July especially returning with a severe sun burn.
Also when I was in the military there was a stretch of 66 still open in Arizona. I drove it just before I 40 was opened. I wish I had take some pics of the highway & towns. I have traveled some of the old alignment since. I like the American West.
Sounds like a rough trip/great memory. I'm sorry to report that I didn't live in a time when there were no interstates, there were some unfinished sections, yes, but most of them have been in place all of my life.

The Interstate highway system was mostly complete when I began my career. But my early career was spent as a Teamster on highway projects in Colorado.
The upgrading of US 6 to Interstate 70 between Dotsero and Glenwood Springs Colorado was one of several. I hauled the concrete for the elevated portion at the Bear Ranch Rest Area at the east end of Glenwood Canyon.

When I arrived in New Mexico in 1981, I-25 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe had one lane bridges. You would come to where the interstate would cross an arroyo and it would go down to one lane. Plenty of signs before hand.
Myself in a Roadway Roadboss tractor with a Western Gillette pup, crossed one of these one lane bridges one evening with a car huddled up to the left of me. I don't know who was more surprised. But the weather was nice.