ABF | Weather

When I arrived in New Mexico in 1981, I-25 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe had one lane bridges. You would come to where the interstate would cross an arroyo and it would go down to one lane. Plenty of signs before hand.
Myself in a Roadway Roadboss tractor with a Western Gillette pup, crossed one of these one lane bridges one evening with a car huddled up to the left of me. I don't know who was more surprised. But the weather was nice.
Back then the wife and I lived out at Cochiti Lake NM. Once again up I-25 north of Albuquerque, with the one lane bridges. To exit Interstate 25 for HWY-22 to Cochiti Lake, you had to pull into a left turn lane with a stop sign. Then you had to wait for the southbound lanes of Interstate 25 to clear, and then make a left hand turn across the southbound lanes of the Interstate.
Most of the accidents I saw at this intersection were cars hitting horses running loose from the Santo Domingo Pueblo.

When I arrived in New Mexico in 1981, I-25 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe had one lane bridges. You would come to where the interstate would cross an arroyo and it would go down to one lane. Plenty of signs before hand.
Myself in a Roadway Roadboss tractor with a Western Gillette pup, crossed one of these one lane bridges one evening with a car huddled up to the left of me. I don't know who was more surprised. But the weather was nice.
Hey mud bet it was a good old"shake and bake" with rubber block suspension unless you were lucky enought to get the road boss 2 ah those were the days "nuff said back to my grandkidsu

Don't forget the section of I-70 for about 10 miles around Frederick Md. that was cross streets and intersections until about the middle '80's,.......Also, I-77 off of I-81 heading down to Fancy Gap with cross streets,.....Interesting,....especially during a snowstorm. Anyone run Rt.19 down Fancy Gap while they were building the interstate? That was......interesting, too.......

Sounds like a rough trip/great memory. I'm sorry to report that I didn't live in a time when there were no interstates, there were some unfinished sections, yes, but most of them have been in place all of my life.

There were interstate highways when I started driving but sections of I40 were not complete that parallels 66. I think Eisenhower started the interstate highway system. He thought this country might need it to fight a war here. That is why he specified a mile of highway every five miles be flat & straight. I am sure this country would not have developed as it has if Eisenhower had not taken the first step to connect the country with the interstate system.

Then, in the late mid eighties they started re-building I-25 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe which included La Bajada Hill and dynamite. So at the bottom of La Bajada Hill heading southbound they set up a traffic light to stop traffic both ways when they were going to do some blasting. You would come screaming down La Bajada Hill, with Roadway and a heavy load of pumice from the mine in Santa Fe, and hey, is that a traffic light I see way up ahead??, and is it yellow!!!!
47ea2f80-11a4-47bf-855d-8642dbbd8a74_500.jpg

I do recall seeing some signs forbidding CB use due to blasting activities in the area.

Whether anyone knew or not yesterday was the anniversary of the signing of the legislation that enabled the construction of the Interstate Highway System. Oops, wrong weather!:1sm057crazy::lmao:

Will wonders never cease? I have gone back & read every post since my original question on what the temp in Kodiak was. And do you know what I did not find? Not 1 mean post or mean response to a fellow board member. Who gives a rat’s ass about the average temperature in Kodiak? I know I don’t. Beyond my wildest dreams, my question accomplished what I had hoped for. People being polite. No rude, crude & socially unacceptable behavior on the weather topic. Now I know we will agree to disagree. But to read post after post on fishing, Route 66, the birth of the Interstate System, abandoned tunnels in PA, is a nice change of pace. Be safe out there. Von.

Will wonders never cease? I have gone back & read every post since my original question on what the temp in Kodiak was. And do you know what I did not find? Not 1 mean post or mean response to a fellow board member. Who gives a rat’s ass about the average temperature in Kodiak? I know I don’t. Beyond my wildest dreams, my question accomplished what I had hoped for. People being polite. No rude, crude & socially unacceptable behavior on the weather topic. Now I know we will agree to disagree. But to read post after post on fishing, Route 66, the birth of the Interstate System, abandoned tunnels in PA, is a nice change of pace. Be safe out there. Von.
Ok to answer your question and the temp in Kodiak is COLD.lol but it's wet in my basement right now only 5-6 inches but at least the pumps are keeping up now, Only had 7 inches in 24 hrs don't know why my basement flooded? No big loss only some carpet and some boxes.I can rember when they built the OTP went thru the middle of our neighbors farm. "nuff said everybody enjoy the fourth and stay safe

Thanks, Brother Von, for giving me a chance to brush up on my social graces so I can continue to be allowed membership in the Human race. Brother 00mustang,....look on the sunny side. That 7 inches of water in your basement is a good start on that indoor swimming pool you've always wanted......And it was Free!....And since this is about Weather,...remember what Mark Twain said: " Everybody talks about the Weather, but nobody does anything about it."

Thanks, Brother Von, for giving me a chance to brush up on my social graces so I can continue to be allowed membership in the Human race. Brother 00mustang,....look on the sunny side. That 7 inches of water in your basement is a good start on that indoor swimming pool you've always wanted......And it was Free!....And since this is about Weather,...remember what Mark Twain said: " Everybody talks about the Weather, but nobody does anything about it."
Nice come back. von.