ABF | Weather

A bosun's chair? My,my, aren't we picky today. How about a hard landing on a flat top? Don't forget to tell the pilot that if he misses the # 4 cable to slam the throttles all the way forward. That way the bow of the carrier won't run over you as you drop off the edge. Have a safe flight. von.

A bosun's chair? My,my, aren't we picky today. How about a hard landing on a flat top? Don't forget to tell the pilot that if he misses the # 4 cable to slam the throttles all the way forward. That way the bow of the carrier won't run over you as you drop off the edge. Have a safe flight. von.
I wasn't in the Navy, ....I was in the Air Force. I just picked up terms like "bosun's chair" by hanging around the bars in Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach.....The only hard landing on a flattop I've ever experienced was when I punched a Gyrene in the head during Mardi Gras in 1974. Did more damage to my hand than I did to his "flat top"......He was only about 4'8'', so it was easy to punch him on the flat top......the hard part was holding my hand there so his tiny little arms couldn't reach me......Feisty little guy.....He only quit flailing around after I offered to buy him a Ballantine Ale..........that's all he ever drank,....and I think it's the main reason for his stunted growth......

Does the boat loading ramp have an escalator?......Or will they have to sling me aboard with a bosun's chair?
:smiliewhs:
And I don't know whether to feel insulted, offended or underestimated. :ranting2: I figure that we must have nearly 60 years of combined experience and skill and will (just between von and myself) to get you safely onto the deck of our fishing boat. After all I/we have safely moved #300+ treadmills, 48" wide couches through 36" doors and the like for quiet some time and getting your fragile elder body on board our chartered vessel would hardly qualify as a challenge for me/us. So...fish on!

:smiliewhs:
And I don't know whether to feel insulted, offended or underestimated. :ranting2: I figure that we must have nearly 60 years of combined experience and skill and will (just between von and myself) to get you safely onto the deck of our fishing boat. After all I/we have safely moved #300+ treadmills, 48" wide couches through 36" doors and the like for quiet some time and getting your fragile elder body on board our chartered vessel would hardly qualify as a challenge for me/us. So...fish on!
So I'm to have you guys paste a pro label on my forehead and carry me onto the boat? Two-wheel me? For one thing, I'm not completely incapacitated, especially vocally,.....and I'll be conducting a running commentary on your delivery skills. I suspect the potential for " accidental" damage to the "Freight" being delivered to be extremely likely.......And, ......don't forget to remove me from the boat.......AFTER we've docked,.......not prior. I don't float real well......

So I'm to have you guys paste a pro label on my forehead and carry me onto the boat? Two-wheel me? For one thing, I'm not completely incapacitated, especially vocally,.....and I'll be conducting a running commentary on your delivery skills. I suspect the potential for " accidental" damage to the "Freight" being delivered to be extremely likely.......And, ......don't forget to remove me from the boat.......AFTER we've docked,.......not prior. I don't float real well......
What makes you think we will carry you on to the boat. My lower spine has a Gross Spine Weight Rating of ?? That in of itself will force me to switch to my dock hook & drag you up the plank That way I don't have to go on light duty before the first cast. von.

At this point I wouldn't commit myself to any particular trick of the trade for getting you on board. As we all know it is forever a work in progress taking the many variables into account as we engineer our task at hand. I thought you might want to add your years of experience and expertise to the mix during the process and that is why I only included von and myself in the calculation for the combined number of years experience. Too many cooks spoil the soup as we say in my neck of the woods and one foreman and one right hand man should suffice. Who handles which task should evidence itself in the time of need. As for your thoughts and/or intentions of runny commentary whilst the work is being performed...I would advise against it. As I see it the downside risk far outweighs the possible upside. But remain confident you will be in good hands.

'Taking the many variables into account as we engineer our task at hand'.
What a great line. Better yet, find a circus near the boarding site, borrow one of those human cannons & launch his but on board. You know, the first part of his name is like a bird, & with a little gunpowder behind him, he should have a successful flight during the boarding process. But not to much powder, we want to launch him, not blow him up. Besides who is going to bait my hook? von.

It was my understanding that the one mile in five was Eisenhower's plan & interstates built while he was in office & since then are built with this feature.
You're right, Brother. Eisenhower started the interstates,.......he was impressed by ಠ▄ಠ's Autobahn system he got to observe during WWII.

It was my understanding that the one mile in five was Eisenhower's plan & interstates built while he was in office & since then are built with this feature.
You're right, Brother. Eisenhower started the interstates,.......he was impressed by ಠ▄ಠ's Autobahn system he got to observe during WWII.
Is that one mile also free and clear of obstacles that would be deadly to a C-130 or a C-5? You know, things like bridges, signs and utility lines? I don't know about the rest of the country but here they like to plant utility poles just inches from the white line on the edge of the road.

U-Packs are a killer,I bet.
We have long window times with the u-packs because they closed Muncie , Lafayette, Terre Haute, & Columbus IN the last 2 years. We on the 2pm bid have only 3 drivers, with a lot of the u-packs given to us. The regular pedal drivers can't do them. Now they are down to 2 drivers for 4 months. I need to have neck surgery to fuse 3 disks. And they have 3 other guys out do to injury or sickness. 3 people in the pipe line for the last 3 months, but no warm bodies to fill the seats. With the earned vacation schedule, & long time to get hired I bet we lose some good workers because of ABF dragging their feet. They are trying to find 10 non CDL qualified casuals to work 4 hour days with no benefits. Tried that 2 years ago. The 3 casuals they hired didn't last 6 weeks. Oh well, they made their bed , lay in it. von