Yellow | Wednesday Meeting Between YRCW And IBT!

Some of you 'accountants' are in the wrong business. Out of curiosity, how much have you 'lost' by your trucks running 63 instead of 70? Surely, you take that off your taxes too?????

Unless you can show it on your taxes, its bogus. You didn't ever get it to lose. I once had a date set up with a girl who went to star in the TV show Dynasty and the A Team. She stood me up
I have as much claim to her income as you do to your 'givebacks.'
Really jimmyg? Do you want to get into the semantics of it? I may not have a 1099 but I do get a pay check every week showing the deduction right out of my pay. Is that close enough for you? By the way. My figures are damn close. I just looked at the pay stub I received today and I had $192 in wages taken out and there was $178 in pension payments that were not made. That's a total of $370 in compensation that I should have received and didn't. That was based on a 48 hour week and I usually work more so $400 is a pretty good estimate.

Does that clarify it for you?

I've done enough for my company!! I've given them over $20,000 every year for the last 5 years. In that time the debt has not decreased and Welsh has somehow more than doubled his salary from 2011 to 2012 PLUS taken a quarter million dollar bonus and gotten stock options. Where's the equal sacrifice there? Wait a minute, These things were guaranteed in his employment contract and we all know those can't be changed.

Nobody is helping me pay my damn bills and I'm sick and tired of paying YRCW's bills. If YRC gets what they want this time we'll be looking at a total so far of 10 years of concessions totaling over $200,000 out of my pocket that can't be used to pay my bills, put gas in my vehicles, take my family on vacations, save for my retirement and put food on my plate!!!

You ask for pride in my company. What a joke. What is there to be proud of? You want me to be proud of seeing $400 (15% pay cut + missing pension money) stolen from me week after week?

I'll be proud of my company when they give me something to be proud of. Until then, I'M DONE!!

Wait... did you literally take out your checkbook and write a check to YRC every week? Or did the members collectively agree (by vote) to accept the fact that their job was going to pay less in order to remain in business? I'm confused.

Also, it's common knowledge that the pension fund probably won't be there for many (if not most) of you folks. It's unreal that anybody actually believes they'll see that money, which is unfortunate. The PBGC has already stated they can't cover it, and the government is looking for ways to dodge any responsibility for those retirees. The government is already on the hook for the public sector pensions. Do you think they care about the private sector? Heck no.

But I understand your anger, don't get me wrong. The job just isn't paying the way it used to.

NPME your anger is understandable and common. Yor miserable attitude is not. YRCW has stolen nothing from you. As Muddlevanheck has wisely pointed out, when you CHOOSE to remain you accepted the terms of the current MOU.
We are all frustrated. But for the sake of your health and sanity, give it a rest. Why don't you offer up some REALISTIC ideas on how to solve the financial morass.

Some of you 'accountants' are in the wrong business. Out of curiosity, how much have you 'lost' by your trucks running 63 instead of 70? Surely, you take that off your taxes too?????

Hmmmmm, I am calling my accountant right this second. How could he have possibly missed this deduction? I should fire his butt!!

Whoa there, none of us are old enough to have lived through the great depression that would put us in our 80's at least.....................................

Yeah... I was thinking more like "raised by folks who had" - Did I not get that really clear? Sorry. Was thinking about my Grandparents - 3 of them still with us, all in their late 80's - who lived thru that era... this isn't really THAT bad to them... except he Obama Care thing...they all 3 hate that! LOL

my bad....

One more thing to everyone. I certainly hope the when it comes to disappointment and adversity you have taught your children to react better than quite a few here do!

One more thing before I step down from my :soapbox:. One issue I have not seen discussed and should be bothersome to everyone involved is the timing of this thing.

YRCW has known since the last refinance (2010-2011 I believe) that these notes were coming due in February and September of this year. The leaders of this company decided to wait until the holiday season to spring their little Christmas present on us and try to jam it down our throats.
Is anyone else offended by this? I think it's disgusting for this corporation took advantage of the holiday season knowing damn well that a lot of people go in debt over the holidays. They waited till they thought we were vulnerable and sprung into action.
I hope every employee that had their holiday season ruined by this debacle keeps this in mind and realizes just what kind of people they work for.:nutkick::nutkick:

OK - so I agree with your first post... but I take issue with this one. - You REALLY think they weren't thinking of the notes coming due long before this. Personally I think the planning behind the refinance of 1.4 BILLION is a very LONG time in the making. I think NO ONE wanted to come back to the 'rank and file' and ask for anything from you all... think about it. "Our contract is until 2015 we don't want to TALK or THINK about that until another day" That's what I hear.... Why would they bother before the HAD NO CHOICE? Why do YOU think they hired companies to do a telephone poll and see what was most important to YOU?

Let me ask you this... if it's so easy - why did so many 'regular Joes' loose their homes when their 'interest only' loans came due? Why didn't the address the "loan coming due" the year or two before?

Sorry - but I think your emotions have run amuck with your reasoning.

Why don't you offer up some REALISTIC ideas on how to solve the financial morass.

Ok, I'll play along. How about returning New Penn to the way they used to operate. Before YRC took control New Penn had an OR of 85-90 consistently. 70% of deliveries were made before noon, returns were almost unheard of, damages were non existent, everyone worked smarter (union and management alike) and the company was one of, if not the most efficient carriers in the country. The place was seriously a well oiled machine and I give most of that credit to the former management team. Simply put, they knew what they were doing and how to execute it.

Along comes YRCW and they decide to reinvent the New Penn wheel. The OR is now probably in the 95-98 range, almost daily we have inbound loads arriving back between 9:30 and 10:30. The majority of peddle men now leave the yard between 10 and 11 with a handful being closer to noon with 15-20 deliveries on their trucks. The average day probably has 20-35 returns out of 450-500 put in the street and damages are through the roof.

YRCW should have left New Penn alone and let them do what they did best instead of destroying a once proud company and it's employees.

I totally get the anger towards Zollars. The things he did put the company in this position. I honestly thought we were done several years ago. But I've gotta ask: can you find a comparable job that pays this well? My understanding is that our healthcare alone is worth roughly $2,500.00 month. Also, if YRC goes under, that insures that other union carriers will have the leverage to rein in labor costs. I don't think anybody benefits with YRC gone - including UPS. The harsh reality is everybody is learning to live with less, no matter what your profession. It ain't pretty. But it's reality. Yeah, I miss the money, too. But I'm not excited to move to North Dakota in order to find a job with comparable pay/benefits.

I think it's all in perspective... I didn't even realize it was the amounts you are talking about that are "not paid" Until it was mentioned and I went and checked it out. BUT - let's not forget that part of that would go into taxes...

Look - I traded my fear of the worst economy in my life for the promise of a JOB to feed my family - nothing more nothing less. I have fed my family for the last 4, 5 whatever years. I have managed to save some money, pay for my son's life saving emergency surgery..... I know what I gave up - I choose not to dwell on it. AND if I was unhappy about what has transpired, if I felt devalued by this company - I would have moved along to another job long ago...

Best to you... I would invite you to stop thinking about what you don't have and start being grateful for what you do.... it can ALL go away in the blink of an eye....

OK - so I agree with your first post... but I take issue with this one. - You REALLY think they weren't thinking of the notes coming due long before this. Personally I think the planning behind the refinance of 1.4 BILLION is a very LONG time in the making. I think NO ONE wanted to come back to the 'rank and file' and ask for anything from you all... think about it. "Our contract is until 2015 we don't want to TALK or THINK about that until another day" That's what I hear.... Why would they bother before the HAD NO CHOICE? Why do YOU think they hired companies to do a telephone poll and see what was most important to YOU?

Let me ask you this... if it's so easy - why did so many 'regular Joes' loose their homes when their 'interest only' loans came due? Why didn't the address the "loan coming due" the year or two before?

Sorry - but I think your emotions have run amuck with your reasoning.

SinC, I don't doubt for a second that they were aware of the notes coming due. How could they not. My issue is with their timing of asking for relief. Do you honestly believe that senior management thought they would be able to pay the 2/15 note right up till 2-3 months before it was due? If this is true someone was not doing their job.
Call me suspect but I find the timing very suspicious. I'm hard pressed to believe that they didn't know before the holidays that they would need to ask for relief once again. What better time to inform employees that their company is in jeopardy of closing without relief than right at Christmas when the bills are piling up and many employees over extended themselves buying gifts?

I realize that I sound very cynical but it's for a very good reason. I've been in this industry for 27 years and I've "been there and done that" way too many times. I've witnessed the race to the bottom accelerate and unfortunately I've been along for the ride.

NPME your anger is understandable and common. Yor miserable attitude is not. YRCW has stolen nothing from you. As Muddlevanheck has wisely pointed out, when you CHOOSE to remain you accepted the terms of the current MOU.
We are all frustrated. But for the sake of your health and sanity, give it a rest. Why don't you offer up some REALISTIC ideas on how to solve the financial morass.

^^^^^^ Worth repeating ^^^^^^

One more thing to everyone. I certainly hope the when it comes to disappointment and adversity you have taught your children to react better than quite a few here do!

Unfortunately improbable. Our children emulate us more often than not.

I think it's all in perspective... I didn't even realize it was the amounts you are talking about that are "not paid" Until it was mentioned and I went and checked it out. BUT - let's not forget that part of that would go into taxes...

Look - I traded my fear of the worst economy in my life for the promise of a JOB to feed my family - nothing more nothing less. I have fed my family for the last 4, 5 whatever years. I have managed to save some money, pay for my son's life saving emergency surgery..... I know what I gave up - I choose not to dwell on it. AND if I was unhappy about what has transpired, if I felt devalued by this company - I would have moved along to another job long ago...

Best to you... I would invite you to stop thinking about what you don't have and start being grateful for what you do.... it can ALL go away in the blink of an eye....

Oops, I think you responded to the wrong post, dear. That's okay, I know what you're saying. :)

Ok, I'll play along. How about returning New Penn to the way they used to operate. Before YRC took control New Penn had an OR of 85-90 consistently. 70% of deliveries were made before noon, returns were almost unheard of, damages were non existent, everyone worked smarter (union and management alike) and the company was one of, if not the most efficient carriers in the country. The place was seriously a well oiled machine and I give most of that credit to the former management team. Simply put, they knew what they were doing and how to execute it.

Along comes YRCW and they decide to reinvent the New Penn wheel. The OR is now probably in the 95-98 range, almost daily we have inbound loads arriving back between 9:30 and 10:30. The majority of peddle men now leave the yard between 10 and 11 with a handful being closer to noon with 15-20 deliveries on their trucks. The average day probably has 20-35 returns out of 450-500 put in the street and damages are through the roof.

YRCW should have left New Penn alone and let them do what they did best instead of destroying a once proud company and it's employees.

Your are absolutely correct but that is just the a single example of how the tower in KC operates. Remember they and only they know how to run a freight company...............................into the ground maybe.

You're right. I didn't get it to lose but I should have!!!

Sure; and I Should Have been dove-tailed into Yellow instead of losing all and starting over from the bottom when Preston folded! If we dwell on how we are wronged in life, it eats us up, and we accomplish nothing! (by the way- the 'girl' went on to marry 'Howling Mad Murdoch (Dwight Schultz) and I hope they have a happy marriage these past 40 years. I've had the fortune of being under the dictatorship of the Lovely Mrs jimmy- the best thing that could've ever happened to me!)....

One question on this. Were all things equal? You can never discount the forces outside of a company when stating that something made it worse. i.e. Was the economy tanking at the time? Etc.
Really - I would like to know... if you can share that with me.

Thanks!

Yeah, sorry... but at some point - they have to leave the nest..... IMHO

Not only that, the ACA will guarantee that after grad school, the real pain will kick in for the kids. So we kind of traded immediate coverage for the under 26 crowd only to have them be the suckers who will pay a lot more in the years to come. So I doubt we really did them any favors. :)

SinC, I don't doubt for a second that they were aware of the notes coming due. How could they not. My issue is with their timing of asking for relief. Do you honestly believe that senior management thought they would be able to pay the 2/15 note right up till 2-3 months before it was due? If this is true someone was not doing their job.
Call me suspect but I find the timing very suspicious. I'm hard pressed to believe that they didn't know before the holidays that they would need to ask for relief once again. What better time to inform employees that their company is in jeopardy of closing without relief than right at Christmas when the bills are piling up and many employees over extended themselves buying gifts?

I realize that I sound very cynical but it's for a very good reason. I've been in this industry for 27 years and I've "been there and done that" way too many times. I've witnessed the race to the bottom accelerate and unfortunately I've been along for the ride.

I guess we just look at things differently - Seems to me - from personal experience of the finances and VOTE of people I know.. the ones that are in the MOST financial trouble, with the most bills and the worst financial minds voted NO - and the ones that could move on and be OK.. without having to decide which child to sell voted yes.
Seems to me that those who are in the biggest financial messes themselves are looking to the company to 'fix' their messes. :hide: Don't hurt me - I'm just sharing my observations... BTW - when people have a financial mess in their personal lives - they all come to me and I plan out with them what to do next....

Sorry - I'm not trying to be a downer.