TForce | Well I'm off this week for train the trainer.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
I've got to be in Pittsburg PA.1PM sharp Aug.14th.
I won't be back till the weekend.
I'm going to miss my wife,she has to work.
I'm also going to miss a week of posting with all my truckingboard friends.
I know a lot can happen in one week.

Everone of my co-workers was kidding me how I'm going to be taught how to drive with the Smith system being that I'm quickly coming up on my 44th year driving for a living.

But than as I've thought about this training.
I never learned how to drive using the clutch,other than starting from a stop.
I don't watch the tach,or listen to the sound of the motor.
I just feel when its going to go in gear.

I've not ever given it any thought untill this last week realizing that I may have to learn to use the clutch to shift for this training?

I've never driven a tractor,or straight truck that I had to use the clutch,and never given it any thought.

Oh well this week will be very interesting.
Talk to you this weekend,to tell you how it went for me.

Have a good week of posting,and as always my prayer to you all, is my post signature at the bottom of all my posts.

I just got back from Pa.,from my training..

I'm whipped,and am going to get some much needed sleep tonight.
I was trained with a cross of other P & D,and road drivers.
I'm now certified as a P & D Driver trainer.

I learned through this very intense training session given by the Elite Trainers from Overnites allstar team.

I was surprised to learn that UPS is more concerned about UPS Freight being safe than turning up driver production.

When UPS took us over that was a big fear from my co-workers that UPS would run us like they do their parcel drivers,and that was one driving force to become represented by the Teamsters.

Well it seems that we will save more money for the company if we improve are safety record.

heres something that I learned this week.
Its a $25,000.00 fine for not waring a seatbelt while drivnig a forklift.
That was a real eye opener,also what our terminals are charged for preventable accidents.

I see not much has changed on the truckingboard,in the week I was gone?
It's good to be back talk to you all later.
Good night,and God bless.

I believe it's $86,000
Regardless of the damage, that's what our centers would get gigged with which means a lower bonus for that Manager.
UPS is big on "preaching" safety and documenting what they preached to you. But there concerend with productivity and will turn up the heat. Dont you realize they are big on safety with the pkg car drivers?!??! And when you make a misstake resulting in "damage". Theyll pull up all that training theyve giving. There just covering themselves brother.

Apostolic said:
I was surprised to learn that UPS is more concerned about UPS Freight being safe than turning up driver production.
When UPS took us over that was a big fear from my co-workers that UPS would run us like they do their parcel drivers,and that was one driving force to become represented by the Teamsters.
Well it seems that we will save more money for the company if we improve are safety record.
Apo,
That's the UPS they want you to see for now....just like how they (LOL!) reversed themselves about tattoos and beards. It's a ploy.
In time you'll all see the wolf who is now dressed up in sheep's clothing.

Any new hires we had up to now drove around our terminal.

our number one driver would see how they drove,and hooked up a set.
If he thought the newbee was ok.
Than they were good to go.

I'm number two over all road,city,and dock.
My terminal is to small to have a mechanic,or a jokey.

The number one guy told my TM flat out ,he's a city driver,and didn't want to go away for a week for any reason.

Seeing my TM needed a name ASAP after the top guy bailed I was the guy if I liked it or not.

From now on its two weeks to qualify
all new hires .
They have to watch three videos, also learn how to drive the UPS way,the first week. Than drive with me,with me ridding shot gun on my route for the week.

If I feel they'er good to go they'er in,if not?
I hope I never come across the (if not.)

Than its a process with the TM,and UPS safety.

Also if any driver at my terminal has a preventable accident I have to ride with them one day on their route to check on any bad habits their doing,offer help,and turn in a report of their driving.
Before they can be requalified to go back into service.

I'm a city driver,but being I'm in a small terminal I'm the only trainer,and will have to go with a road driver if he has a preventable.

Now if I have one,I'm out for life as a trainer,and have to wait for another trainer from another terminal to come, and requalify me,before I can drive again.

So I gotta be really,really careful from now on.

I'm sure I'll be a dead dog,with the company,if I mess up after UPS has shelled out all the money for a weeks pay, travel expenses,the hotel room,and meals.

But with everything else I do in life,I do my work unto God,and don't worry about it.

Apostolic said:

The number one guy told my TM flat out ,he's a city driver,and didn't want to go away for a week for any reason.

Seeing my TM needed a name ASAP after the top guy bailed I was the guy if I liked it or not.

all new hires .
They have to watch three videos, also learn how to drive the UPS way,the first week. Than drive with me,with me ridding shot gun on my route for the week.

Also if any driver at my terminal has a preventable accident I have to ride with them one day on their route to check on any bad habits their doing,offer help,and turn in a report of their driving.

I'm a city driver,but being I'm in a small terminal I'm the only trainer,and will have to go with a road driver if he has a preventable.

Now if I have one,I'm out for life as a trainer,and have to wait for another trainer from another terminal to come, and requalify me,before I can drive again.

I'm sure I'll be a dead dog,with the company,if I mess up after UPS has shelled out all the money for a weeks pay, travel expenses,the hotel room,and meals.

But with everything else I do in life,I do my work unto God,and don't worry about it.
All the more reason for you to take that much needed lunch break every day. The breaks that you are allowed will refresh you and make you much more alert in your daily routine thus preventing a preventable accident.

webidiot said:
if ups is preaching safety then why are drivers driving with 3 violations in the state of ca and drivers way over their hours as a favor to the company?
And why do we allow drivers to work the dock? I think this would be a good saftey lesson for the company. Maybe they should start following these drivers when they leave their mini hubs. Try to pass some of these drivers after they have worked the mini hub, Thats a saftey lesson in it self. The bottom line is, We wan't you to do what ever it takes to make us a profit, But don't wreck anything, You will be held accountable.

Why you know thats the nature of the buisness..

the more your paid.
The more your expected to do for their investement.

Its the American way,free enterprize.

You want to receive the best pay,and benenfits for your work.
The company will be willing to make your wish come true,if your willing to do all thats required to deserve what they invest.

In the mean time the economy marches on.
The cost of living keeps increasing.
We all need to earn more.
Companies have to raise there revenue to cover their costs.
The price of everything has to go up to cover the cost of additional freight rates.

And the circle goes,on,and on till who knows what our earnings will have to be by the next decade?

Apostolic,
What you described as your duties of a "Driver Trainer" is what our supervisors do. I guess we know why the #1 guy bailed on it.
You shouldnt have to be subjected to the hiring or disciplining of drivers. Next thing you know you'll have to take care of time cards and fix the schedules and do the firing. Hopefully yall will unionize pretty quickly and those duties can be givin back to the rightful owner, the supervisor. Becuase this could get pretty ugly between you and your co-workers.
With yalls "new" training program. How much of the two week course is paid time to the new driver?

I was told by the trainer that trained our group..

that all the new UPS drivers are required to take this smith training?
Now that we are UPS Freight.
The freight division of UPS we are also required to be in the loop with their safety program.

It seems to me to be a good idea.

I knew a driver at my terminal that was very careless,if he didn't get fired when he did.
He was well on his way to kill himself,and take someone with him.

We all know UPS hasn't grown their buisness by allowing their employees to be careless.

I've seen on this truckingboard that other companies becides UPS require their drivers to take this training.

As far as me being my co-workers judge,and them hating me?
I say who better than me?

I'm an Apostolic Pentecoastal Born Again Christian.
Theres no one in the world that would be more fair than us Apostolics.

Judging should always be fair,as the Bible states we will be judged with the same judgement we judge others.

In other words,what goes around comes around.

I love God,and also fear him.
To not follow Bible teachings while believing that God is the creator of all things,is not very smart.

As theres another place in the Bible that states the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.

Its wise to treat others the way you would want to be treated.
This is the Golden Rule we'd all be better off using.

krash said:
Apostolic,
What you described as your duties of a "Driver Trainer" is what our supervisors do. I guess we know why the #1 guy bailed on it.
You shouldnt have to be subjected to the hiring or disciplining of drivers. Next thing you know you'll have to take care of time cards and fix the schedules and do the firing. Hopefully yall will unionize pretty quickly and those duties can be givin back to the rightful owner, the supervisor. Becuase this could get pretty ugly between you and your co-workers.
With yalls "new" training program. How much of the two week course is paid time to the new driver?
They must feel that you are an asset to the company to assign you this extra duty and have the privilede of being a Upsf trainer. How do they compensate you for this extra duty?

Apostolic said:

all new hires .

The company must feel that you are an asset to its operation to offer you the privilege and extra duty of being a Upsf trainer. How do they compensate you for this extra duty?

BusterNite said:
The company must feel that you are an asset to its operation to offer you the privilege and extra duty of being a Upsf trainer. How do they compensate you for this extra duty?

Sounded more to me like they needed a body...and #1 man didn't want it.

Maybe Hazard pay? Your life is at risk when you are expected to sit shot gun while some one with little experiance has control of 80,000 Lbs and you.

I'm sure your all right.

They needed a name ASAP,when the top guy told my TM to take a hike.
My TM threw it in my lap,he said it was going to be me because I was in our states rodeo twice.

The top guy had a short time to say he'd do it or not.
The clock was ticking by when he said no way.

Well like anything else that comes my way.
I just give it to God,for him to help me deal with it.

We had a week of training with a three part test,on Friday morning of all the material we were taught.

Believe me when I say that the older you get its very hard to retain so much information in such a short time.

I studied after our classes every day.
I called my wife at home for her to agree in prayer in Jesus name,with me so I wouldn't wash out,after UPS had invested what they did for me to cover a weeks pay,travel,meals,and lodging.

She had our church pray as well as her,and I.

Friday morning before breakfast I prayed for everyone in my group to pass the test.
We all passed.

And Glory to God,I got 100% on all three parts.

So you see as the Bible states,with God everything is possible.

I give everything to God,he takes care of the rest.

BusterNite said:

I also went through the training. Being a road driver I was off my run all last week going out on routes with different drivers that had a preventable accident. As far the pay they pay the difference in pay that I miss not being on the road. That way a road driver doesn't get shorted any pay.

I had a pretty good time and explained to the driver I wasn't out to get him but only help him. We went though the space and visibility. I help him get the freight off and we had a nice lunch. Now, I think other drivers are looking forward to me helping them. I mean riding along with them. LOL!

Are you the only trainer at your terminal Skeeter?

I'm out of Rochester, New York.
My terminal is one of the smaller ones,we only are operating with 27 doors.

I'm the only trainer,I have to cover all new hires,as well as preventable accidents of both classes the P & D drivers,and road.

I had my training at the Pittsburg terminal they have 72 doors.
Pittsburg had one each, a P & D,and road driver trainer that was in my group.

Thats a better deal,I can only pray that our road drivers keep driving safely.
Working P&D I'm not looking forward to going on the road.

I don't see any newbee road drivers,because our road drivers have always come from the P&D at my terminal.