FedEx Freight | west is no longer going to be west

It's ironic to me that SDO Kingpin is asking what a scm is. Maybe he's joking and I'm just not getting it. Or maybe it's because I'm one of the "kids" he keeps talking down to.

Just so I can say I tried to clarify it, AF/East used to have "terminal managers" until 1996.

Then we had "customer center managers (CCMs)" until around 2002.

Since Viking/FXFW used the term "service center managers (SCMs)", East changed to SCMs, (I'm told) because it was easier to change the 275 East centers than it was the 40 or so West centers. I could be wrong about that though.

I don't think anyone around here thought it was a big deal.

Same thing for "associates" versus "employees." East changed over to "employees" around 2002 as well.

Again, easier for the 20,000 East "employees" to change than for the 6,000 at West.

Many do still refer to associates though.

NBD either way, in my book.

Viking called them "Terminals" until the decision was made to change both west and east to "Service Centers". They both changed at the same time. Re how they refer to people, east changed to "employees" because that was the term the rest of Fedex used, not because it was what west used.. It was part of the ongoing push to standardize human resources across the entire corp.. Same reason everybody went to Cigna to administer health care benefits..

I agree with you though,, no big deal.. Call me what ever you want, as long as the check doesn't bounce..

I jusy hope with this, that they take the best of BOTH sides, and integrate them together. We dont need a big pi$$ing match on who is better, just use both to their utmost abilities!! Sounds so sensible, yet a suit will probly screw it up. Divide and conquer you know.