FedEx Freight | What the hell is going on?

I don't get the impression Freight is making room for ground or express shipments. During a meeting with TM not long ago he said Freight was moving 108-110k shipments system wide when we were last busy. We are now moving 85-88k shipments system wide as of two weeks ago. That's a significant drop but he stated Fedex is in no way interested in lowering prices, reason being Freight has tried that before with unfavorable results.

Were losing customers for a few reason I have found from talking with then.

1. Being charged with detention if the delivery or pickup goes past what fedex thinks it should.

2. Our prices are too high for many when another company offers the same service for less.

3. Shippers or consigne being charged extra for shipments that have more than 5 skids. The exact number on this seems to vary but say you have 5 individual bills going to the same consignee Fedex combines them billing wise and get hit with the charge. The linear ft policy we had was also reduced about 2 years ago down to 15ft.

4. This is at my center but we have had turnover in our Dispatch which has caused issues with pickups being made and we've lost the trust of customers.

I know some of these things were already policy but at my center they weren't really enforced like the detention time.

Rumor has it Nashville is hiring 30 PT dockworkers, 7 supervisors, and numerous city drivers.

We are extremely slow. If this is true. What is going on?

Fedex getting ready for the "busy season". Were looking for 6 city with 3 being through the apprentice program and x amount of dock.

Found out we are hiring lots of city as well. They’re not even working all the city much less our massive road extra board… very puzzling indeed.
Not passing the smell test with me. If it was something good you think we would be having meetings about some big accounts we are landing.
Nope! Just silence. I have a theory, but it's negative. So I'll keep it to myself.

Not passing the smell test with me. If it was something good you think we would be having meetings about some big accounts we are landing.
Nope! Just silence. I have a theory, but it's negative. So I'll keep it to myself.
Agreed something is going on with the company. We have been overstaffed for two years . Cc days every day inbound numbers are pathetic and outbound so so if not for a few customers it would also be pathetic.

I averaged last year 20 hours delay per week when I was bidded to ATL for 6 months. And just shy of 500 mile round trip

Very true statement from you
Thats about what I used to get there. Sometimes ATL road dispatch would call and rudely awaken me from my scheduled nightly nap and ask if I wanted to go to the rail yard. After about the 3rd time I told her I'm making the same money sleeping why would I go to the rail yard ?