TForce | Why do UPS drivers go so slow?

10 speed said:
i guess that"s why the union need"s more member"s cause working like that at that kind of pay sooner or later the money is going to run out.see why they need a union cause they are riding the clock and costing the company money.
Just think, when there are no more unions you will get the nine dollars an hour that you deserve to be a dock worker with a cdl!

Now this is in no way a knock on UPS drivers...but I cant help in wondering why UPS drivers, meaning the ones who move doubles or vans down the highway for UPS parcel, seem to travel significantly slower than all other traffic and rarely change lanes? So people have told me its due to the way they are schedueled, some say its due to strict safety regs...so what is the deal?

A UPS driver told me, that the ones driving slow are paid by the hour and ones that drive fast (and we have 'em up here in Minnesota/Wisconsin doing 70mph) are paid by the mile and all this is based on the distance of the run...as I understood it.
-- a Con-Way driver.

Just think, when there are no more unions you will get the nine dollars an hour that you deserve to be a dock worker with a cdl!

What are you talking about? At Con-Way we get (as of November) $22/hr and .54cpm (...increase for me in December, company increases in January and June of 2007) and our health benefits only cost us 1% our weekly gross...not bad for CDL carrying dockworker!! Let's put it this way, there are a lot worse. I know...I worked Vitran! (9 months is all I could take!):nutkick:

What are you talking about? At Con-Way we get (as of November) $22/hr and .54cpm (...increase for me in December, company increases in January and June of 2007) and our health benefits only cost us 1% our weekly gross...not bad for CDL carrying dockworker!! Let's put it this way, there are a lot worse. I know...I worked Vitran! (9 months is all I could take!):nutkick:

Do you think you would be making these wages if there were no threat of any unions? My point exactly! No non-union company would be paying these types of wages because they care so much about there employee's. What they care about, Is not being organized and to do this they must pay a good wage. So lets do away with all unions and lets see how much the company's care about us. No thanks!! Thank a teamster for your good wage.

...Do you think you would be making these wages if there were no threat of any unions? Yes

...So lets do away with all unions and lets see how much the company's care about us. They don't care about us now!!

...Thank a teamster for your good wage. Thank you...very much.

I agree with you 100%. We've had this argument at Con-Way and FedEx Freight (when I worked there). I've always said that without the unions, we (non-union truckers) wouldn't get the kinds of wages we do.

They could never go back to those wages because my HazMat endorsement is worth too much to them now. Besides, you can make more than $9/hr at McDonalds...and your HazMat endorsement works there too!!!

-- Happy Holidays to all of you...