TForce | Why do UPS drivers go so slow?

UPGF4IBT

TB Lurker
Credits
Now this is in no way a knock on UPS drivers...but I cant help in wondering why UPS drivers, meaning the ones who move doubles or vans down the highway for UPS parcel, seem to travel significantly slower than all other traffic and rarely change lanes? So people have told me its due to the way they are schedueled, some say its due to strict safety regs...so what is the deal?

UPGF4IBT said:
Now this is in no way a knock on UPS drivers...but I cant help in wondering why UPS drivers, meaning the ones who move doubles or vans down the highway for UPS parcel, seem to travel significantly slower than all other traffic and rarely change lanes? So people have told me its due to the way they are schedueled, some say its due to strict safety regs...so what is the deal?
i would guess it may be because they get paid by the hour. why be in a hurry when your making about 26.00 an hour. i know i wouldn't be.

If you are referring to parcel you will need to check with them. If you are referring to UPS Freight, most of their trucks are set to run no faster than 67 miles per hour. Listening to my husband, some of the newer trucks have trouble running that in the mountains.

UPGF4IBT said:
Don't quote me ,But I think that they a tattletale system in the trucks .Similar to a onboard recorder ,so it records ,speed,braking lane changes and alike

Well you have the hourly (the slow ones) and then you have the mileage ones. They will pass you anywhere they can as fast as they can. And most of their trucks are 72 or better. So money talks more than safety. Wish it didn't but.......

i also see the guys that pass you like they are on fire, but then later on up the road they are barely moving. guess they are letting their times catch back up to them..

nightowl said:
i also see the guys that pass you like they are on fire, but then later on up the road they are barely moving. guess they are letting their times catch back up to them..
Looking for their napping spot....

Ive been in some older Internationals that wont move unless your going down hill. Most are governed to 68. Road tractors will do 72, some 75. Heard all new ones will be set at 70.
But most us TDP guys hit the slow lane and take our time. No reason to get in a hurry when it just means another move

Runs are set up by time schedules paid by the hour. If you have a 9 hour run and you are doing it in less time, That means slow down to get your 9 hour pay day. If you took to long at the coffee shop or nap time, That means you speed up to stay within your 9 hour pay day,

I love the four wheelers doing everything they can to get around me.
Ridding my ICC trailer bar,than blowing by me almost getting a head on with the on coming traffic.
Two ,or three red lights later you roll up within a car length of them.
Thats when I see them looking in their drivers side mirror at the big smile on my face.

A speeding ticket is one of the biggest hassels there is.
You get pulled over.
The cop shifts all his movements into low gear.
By the time he,or she writes you up,you could of gone half the seed limit,and gotten there that much sooner.

Than you have to pay a sizable fine.
Last but not least your insurance goes up for about 7 years to account for your bad driving.

So there you go,just obey the speed limit no matter what the motor is turned up to.
Its better to get there safe,than maybe not making it at all.

krash said:
Ive been in some older Internationals that wont move unless your going down hill. Most are governed to 68. Road tractors will do 72, some 75. Heard all new ones will be set at 70.
But most us TDP guys hit the slow lane and take our time. No reason to get in a hurry when it just means another move
Yes, But per smith training shouldn't you be in the center lane for less moves or lane changes. Beep Beep, Get outa the way!!!!

BusterNite said:
Yes, But per smith training shouldn't you be in the center lane for less moves or lane changes. Beep Beep, Get outa the way!!!!
Actually, I was trained to allways stay in the far right lane unless there is quite a bit of resistance, then move over one lane. But if your in one of those itty bitty older Internationals, you'll get run over if you venture out of the slow lane:poster_oops: Now I had me a MACK on a mileage run tonight:rockon: Lets just say I didnt get passed by too many other drivers:weight_lift:

krash said:
Actually, I was trained to allways stay in the far right lane unless there is quite a bit of resistance, then move over one lane. But if your in one of those itty bitty older Internationals, you'll get run over if you venture out of the slow lane:poster_oops: Now I had me a MACK on a mileage run tonight:rockon: Lets just say I didnt get passed by too many other drivers:weight_lift:
Yes, But we all know that the center lane is the one with the least resistance. The right lane has the most resistance as traffic is always entering and exiting causing the big truck to make more lane changes. The more lane changes the higher the risk of accident. Although staying in the center lane with a 66 mph truck causes alot of hate and discontent out there. Catch 22, Although after getting pinned in 3 or 4 times because a big truck won't give me the courtesy to let me out. My attitude kicks in and guess where I am. Yup, in the center lane! GO AROUND ME!!!