TForce | Why should we sign cards and go union

this contract will get us better wages simply by making the company play by a set of rules. I know top guys at INDY that are not even offered hours or told there is no work but yet guys with way less time are working 10 or 15 hours a day. That is some of the things that we will be trying to put a end to in the contract. I do not know your personal sittuation but I am sick of seeing comany kiss buts getting all the hours.

Corn Bread said:
One of the requirement's to be a manager..you must have a brain....I would not be very proud to call you a teamster brother,,,I don't think I would want my dues waisted protecting you,we are much better off without guys like you...your the type that give us a bad name.

:bicycle:
I never said i wanted to be your brother..........:shades:

Johnnybegood said:
GET OVER IT I DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE BUT MY OWN THOUGHTS SO KEEP SPINNING THE TRUTH.
I'm not spinning anything.....just telling you that thinking that a guy being pro-Union automatically means he's anti-Company isn't accurate....no matter where the belief came from. Teamsters work their butts off to make sure the Companies continue to succeed....our jobs depend on it, just like your's does.

Johnnybegood said:
Be prepared to have every Wanna Be Teamster call you someone swayed by management or just plain old wrong......:wacko:
not true, but we'll jab you every chance we get!

I think the bigger picture here is if we (organized labor) don't grow IF we fall then you will see your wages and benefits drop back because there is no threat to the company at all. How much they fall back?? Well who knows.... But they will in time....

It is not always about immediate satisfaction and or all about "ME"

I've been told theres a driver shortage in North America?

The only time I see it is when an ad is put in our news paper for a week,and only a few show up to apply.

Out of these applicants,not many have good records,to hire on?

This is in the Rochester area where we lost a lot of businesses that have either moved,out of New York,to another state,another country,have down sized,or just went belly up.

The rest of you posters that live in other areas across the country can clue me in if its that way in every part of the US?

I know the truck driving schools are pumping out a lot of new drivers.

But when it comes to driving for LTL companies,drivers need to have very good qualifications.

Now to get to the point of this thread reply.

Companies that already have good qualified drivers would do well to hang on to them,union,or non-union alike.

I've seen this over my many years as a LTL driver.
If you just do your job,the way your company wants,than you have nothing to worry about.

Also as far as safety issues,even if your in the union,if your not safe in your day to day duties,no amount of representation, will help keep you in your job,when your a safety risk to them.

This is something I've learned over my 43 years of being a LTL driver,20 years union, 23 years non-union.

Apostolic said:
The only time I see it is when an ad is put in our news paper for a week,and only a few show up to apply.

Out of these applicants,not many have good records,to hire on?

This is in the Rochester area where we lost a lot of businesses that have either moved,out of New York,to another state,another country,have down sized,or just went belly up.

The rest of you posters that live in other areas across the country can clue me in if its that way in every part of the US?

I know the truck driving schools are pumping out a lot of new drivers.

But when it comes to driving for LTL companies,drivers need to have very good qualifications.

Now to get to the point of this thread reply.

Companies that already have good qualified drivers would do well to hang on to them,union,or non-union alike.

I've seen this over my many years as a LTL driver.
If you just do your job,the way your company wants,than you have nothing to worry about.

Also as far as safety issues,even if your in the union,if your not safe in your day to day duties,no amount of representation, will help keep you in your job,when your a safety risk to them.

This is something I've learned over my 43 years of being a LTL driver,20 years union, 23 years non-union.
Apostolic....
I must admit there is truth in what you said....
I have one question.....
In your 20 years as Union and 23 as Non-Union which one do you think was better for you?

I like being a non-union employee better.

I'll be the first to admit,the union companies had the best pay,and bennys,but they were always looking for a way to get rid of the employees that were making the most,with top scale,overtime,and time off.

So they could either use casuals,or have people working at a lower precentage of union scale.

As soon as I hired on with Overnite,at least at my terminal,everything was a lot more laid back.

Even though we all are working LTL,union,and non-union,it seems to me that making less,is worth more in the lack of pressure being non-union.

I worked three years as a warehouse non-union driver from 1963 to going union in 1966.
Than taking a withdrawel in 1986 after Halls Motor Transit went under,working for 11 more union companies 2 to 4 days a week,what ever I could get.
With no hope of being hired on.

I was running into the fact that I was getting older.
The union companies had their pick back than as so many were going out of buisness,a lot of Teamsters were looking for work.
They all wanted younger drivers.

I was hired with Overnite the last week in July of 1986.

As for me I thank God all the time that Overnite took me on with the fear of knowing I was a Teamster for so long.