TForce | Will going union generate more freight?

Overnite

TB Veteran
Credits
This is just my opinion but right now we can't touch parcel accounts becuase were a non union carrier. If were union the company hs the option of shiftinf some of that to us.

Currently when a UPS driver takes a pup to a customer he loads it floor stacked, UPS is paying for the labor, if we go there it would have to be on a pallet the shipper would be paying for the labor.

I see cost savings here, how long does it take a parcel package handler to unload a whole floor stacked pup? What about an freight dockworker where everything is palletized 4 times faster? That is 1/4 the labor cost.

Unity and security....It helps the customer feel warm and fuzzy.....But I still think it will take ,getting rid of all the odd looking equipment and showing up looking competent......

Customers are starting to see a major change in UPSF. At least up here anyway. Most freight is arriving on time and damage free. Management is being put under the gun to make sure this happens. Especially since more and more shippers are switching to UPSF because of the guaranteed service. Since Jan. 1st, I have pick-up and delivered approx. 98% on-time and damage free. Worldship is also starting to have an impact too. A few of my customers have stated that it is nice to know that once they enter all the info in the Worldship program, they don't have to call the terminal to get a P.U. its done automatically when they hit enter. Not to mention, it also automatically spits out B/L's and bar coded labels simular to package. Also I agree with GT too. Our customers see this unionization as a bonding that brings in rules and accountability. But I too would at least wipe out the "O" and "MC" name off the trailers. If they don't want to put the shield on them, at least throw a gallon or two of battleship gray on them to make them more presentable.

This is just my opinion but right now we can't touch parcel accounts becuase were a non union carrier. If were union the company hs the option of shiftinf some of that to us.

Currently when a UPS driver takes a pup to a customer he loads it floor stacked, UPS is paying for the labor, if we go there it would have to be on a pallet the shipper would be paying for the labor.

I see cost savings here, how long does it take a parcel package handler to unload a whole floor stacked pup? What about an freight dockworker where everything is palletized 4 times faster? That is 1/4 the labor cost.

Being union has nothingto do with "touching" a parcel account. The fact taht you're afreight company band not set up as a parcel compnay is the rteason.

This has been discussed a million times here. Freight and Parcel are Apples and Oranges.

Ever see a 48 foot parcel feeder unloaded?

Do you know the revenue involved generated by a parcel load?

You could not service a parcel laod at a freight barn and you cold not service freight laod at a parcel hub.

Pricing and service is the largest factor involved in freight levels.

Shiny trucks don't put fright on trucks service does.

Unions don't put freight on trucks union drivers supplying a service put freight on trucks.

YOU DO NOT HAVE PARCEL ACCOUNTS BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT A PARCEL CARRIER.

It takes on an average 1 to q1/2 hours to empty a full 48 ft parcel load. The revemue genearted is wellover 22 times that of a freight trailer. That's how UPS maked over 12Billion in progfit on a yearly basis.

Worry about how well the working conditions and your voice in the company that the union will bring over how many more palletts of frieht you are going to get. That will come on it own.

Preform to the best of you ability, be a good com[pany and union emloyee and let the frieght levels be the problem of those that get paid to worry about them

We will never touch parcel accounts unless the account decides it is cheaper to wrap it up and ship it on a pallet. We have already seen some of this stuff, but parcel will always be parcel and freight will always be freight. There is one big misconception here, people seem to think salespeople are going to sell freight instead of parcel, It's quite the opposite , one must keep in mind it is the customers choice, and having experience in a sales environment, I would sell parcel over freight, thier is more monies in it. Our main philosophy is to sell it all, let the customer choose.

We will never touch parcel accounts unless the account decides it is cheaper to wrap it up and ship it on a pallet. We have already seen some of this stuff, but parcel will always be parcel and freight will always be freight.

I've had customers hold back parcel freight until the end of the week and than palletize it for the single destination shipment. (might have been a test)
UPS parcel driver noticed it as well and was a bit ticked off about it. I told him I'm not the one shipping it, I'm the one picking it up.

I've had customers hold back parcel freight until the end of the week and than palletize it for the single destination shipment. (might have been a test)
UPS parcel driver noticed it as well and was a bit ticked off about it. I told him I'm not the one shipping it, I'm the one picking it up.

I have seen the same thing. My point is which I am sure you understand, we can do it all, let the customer decide. That is not to say some companies that believe in unionization, and only use union trucking companies, may come in our direction.

T251 is partially right. But the point his misses is that we're talking about getting the FREIGHT from the PARCEL accounts. The FREIGHT that is currently going to other LTL haulers. I'm surprised he missed that.

Make no mistake, we must become the best in terms of service in order to get and retain new accounts. The freight cycles will naturally get us new accounts, but once you lose a customer, it's usually around two years before they come back. There is no rush to get new freight while we're working to improve service.

Another factor is the unionization of UPS Freight. Once that is in place, it will be much easier to enforce the rule changes and right the ship. Overnite was very laid back and disorganized. That will later translate into more freight as we become more efficient.

As for spiffing up the image, new or painted equipment would help, but it's always going to be service that will make or break us.

Being union has nothingto do with "touching" a parcel account. The fact taht you're afreight company band not set up as a parcel compnay is the rteason.

This has been discussed a million times here. Freight and Parcel are Apples and Oranges.

You could not service a parcel laod at a freight barn and you cold not service freight laod at a parcel hub.

Unions don't put freight on trucks union drivers supplying a service put freight on trucks.

It takes on an average 1 to q1/2 hours to empty a full 48 ft parcel load. The revemue genearted is wellover 22 times that of a freight trailer. That's how UPS maked over 12Billion in progfit on a yearly basis.

Worry about how well the working conditions and your voice in the company that the union will bring over how many more palletts of frieht you are going to get. That will come on it own.

Preform to the best of you ability, be a good com[pany and union emloyee and let the frieght levels be the problem of those that get paid to worry about them

We have a pilot program right now with Parcels single biggest account, we are also rolling out a new service called desktop delivery where we pick up a single pallet and deliver the pallet to a building and break down the pallet and take each box to a different person n that building. This is an account parcel is servicing right now.

We have a pilot program right now with Parcels single biggest account, we are also rolling out a new service called desktop delivery where we pick up a single pallet and deliver the pallet to a building and break down the pallet and take each box to a different person n that building. This is an account parcel is servicing right now.

This kind of account is a peddle killer, I hope we are charging big monies for this, in some cases the drivers may not be able to get into some of these office buildings.

And then of coarse inside delivery, sort and segregate, if they do not have a dock, now you have to walk it in, this is a truck on it's own.

This kind of account is a peddle killer, I hope we are charging big monies for this, in some cases the drivers may not be able to get into some of these office buildings.

And then of coarse inside delivery, sort and segregate, if they do not have a dock, now you have to walk it in, this is a truck on it's own.

I do these already, it's call a shopping mall.:1036316054:

we would look really good showing up with grease on our clothes and duct tape on our doors saying when you do want these pallets lady? I don't think they are all going to fit on the desk those are some mighty big pallets...shucks...HA! HA! HA!

Hate to break this to you but Yellow has done it many times. We haul palletized freight from the customer to the ups hub nearest the customer. We deliver at night backing into an unload door and your lumpers unload the trailer in record time onto the conveyor system.
Been there done that.

But yes the issue is your working conditions not business. You won't gain or lose business based on whether you are union or not.

UPS doesn't have pilot programs.

When they offer a service they lanuch it.

Think about what you just said.

You are going to deliver a pallet, rated at a hundred weight or pallet rate and then break it down and deliver it though out the building.

Good luck making money on that deal.

How long you going to take to hand deliver each carton of envelope on this shrinkwrapped pallet.

Last time I saw a shrink warppped pallet that contained small packages and envelopes, it had hundreds of pieces on it. Sounds like you'll be searching that building all day as the rest of your pallets of freight sit on the trailer taht is blocking the entrance to the office building or parked in the middle of the parking lot.

What percentage of office buildings have loading docks, about 10%?

Ok so you use a liftgate, how does the pallet go into the building with single doors.

Get real, figure out how to operate effiecently in the freight bsiness before you even think of delivering parcels.

Parcel will drowned you, and the last time I checked the definition of drowned, it siad dead next to it.

Food for thought, why would UPS offer its biggest single account a service which it already services, with another srevice that is not even tested, for less money?

UPS does discount itself like Yellow corp does.

Parcel makes huge money, they are not going to jepoerdize it by giving parcels to a freight company, plain and simple.

Hate to break this to you but Yellow has done it many times. We haul palletized freight from the customer to the ups hub nearest the customer. We deliver at night backing into an unload door and your lumpers unload the trailer in record time onto the conveyor system.
Been there done that.

That's my point exactly. we can ulaod a trailer so fast it will make your head spin.
Making 22 times that of a freight rated truck.

UPS hubs all over the country have other carriers show up every night to deliver other customers frieght into the UPS parcel system.
Certain customers have contract to nmove freight with certain carriers and those carriers bring the customersd freight to us for final transport and delivery. Nothing new, always been that way.

Is a freight barn going to be able to strip a floor load of 2000-3000 parcels and sort them and re-ship them in a timely manner. NOT!!!

UPS is not going to sacrifice it repreation by cutting service. Not even on one package.
UPS treats every package as if it was the only one. Its service that built this company not discounted rates.