TForce | Will UPGF buy another to grow are build new

Emptypockets

TB Lurker
Credits
What do you guys think? Example in the Texas market we do not have a terminal in Odessa, Amarillo, Abilene and Corpus Christi and various other key locations that the competion has terminals in! In some case like Lubbock they service Amarillo that is 120miles away on way. I would think UPGF infastructure has to be a hot topic with big brown for service, especially with guranteeing shipment starting in 08!

I would say no way would they buy another company unless they buy it for a niche like there long haul capability like fed ex did watkins but I think even that would be a stretch. Or maybe they would have a home delivery segment.

And this is why the only reason they bought us was so they would not have to start from 100% scratch, we have the infastructure set up and they make money from day one if they strarted from scratch they would not.

now that they bought us they can fill in any holes in our service area with facilities up to there standard and buy new equiptment that fits there needs. And on there schedule.

If they buy another company we would be overlapping and that is not cost effective 2 terminals in the same town?

If they buy another company they will have to either replace there junk equiptment or rebrand it.

Neither are as cost effective as buying new, since they already have our volvos pulling the freight, right now they can replace tractors as needed and buy DIADS as needed, if they buy another company they will have these costs up front and bring yet another company up to there standards.

Food for thought, All these small out of the way places with no terminals. If or when the union expands in the country, UPS could attach UPSF to some of there existing parcel facilities, add a few doors and a couple of forklifts. one of my co-workers and I have believed from the beginning that UPS would unionize UPSF an combine alot of the service. Like road runs, What difference does it make what is in the trailer as long as it gets to where it needs to go on time. There are hundreds on empties running everyday in our system, that is huge waste. Once UPSF goes union, I believe that you will see a combining of the road and feeder system of both UPSF and UPS. Not anytime soon, but within a couple of years.

I agree

Food for thought, All these small out of the way places with no terminals. If or when the union expands in the country, UPS could attach UPSF to some of there existing parcel facilities, add a few doors and a couple of forklifts. one of my co-workers and I have believed from the beginning that UPS would unionize UPSF an combine alot of the service. Like road runs, What difference does it make what is in the trailer as long as it gets to where it needs to go on time. There are hundreds on empties running everyday in our system, that is huge waste. Once UPSF goes union, I believe that you will see a combining of the road and feeder system of both UPSF and UPS. Not anytime soon, but within a couple of years.
I think yhe company will benifit in a few ways by the freight division going union

I don't think we can haul package pups we are a different company with less pay.

Think long term, not next week. UPS wants effiiency out of every segment of their company. Combining linehual operations makes way to much sense down the road. (pun intended) Right now there are some obstacles in the way, no doubt about it. Contracts, equipment, etc. but every single one of them can be changed, and at some point will be changed. Not next week, but in the next 5-7 years, you bet you bottm $$$...

TX_jarhead

I don't think we can haul package pups we are a different company with less pay.

we are the same company, but I do agree I would not want to pull package trailers becuase there is a huge difference in pay between our road drivers and theres.

They would have to combine centeral dispatching.

What do you guys think? Example in the Texas market we do not have a terminal in Odessa, Amarillo, Abilene and Corpus Christi and various other key locations that the competion has terminals in! In some case like Lubbock they service Amarillo that is 120miles away on way. I would think UPGF infastructure has to be a hot topic with big brown for service, especially with guranteeing shipment starting in 08!

Look for the new VP kevin H. to address that very issue. Kevin comes from Con-Way and is probably one of the smartest men in the industry right now.

I expect him to introduce zone terminals (drop yards or as Lieb. said a couple doors out of UPS small package centers). Years ago, i worked for the only union Con-Way and started at a zone Kevin desigated. A couple of years later as business grew, we built a small 12 door barn. Look for the same type operation.

J. Holmes has said this is this is a focus point over the next couple of years. Does TX need the coverage absolutely, but they are really looking @ area of MT, ND,SD, etc.... because this is where S. Smith is the VP. Jack,Joel both likes this guy even though as those of us that have worked around him know he has been a failure. He was Gordon's boy big time and feelings were hurt when he did not get Joel's job a DVP. I agree that the guy from Conway will push this agenda, becaue Conway has twice the terminals we do and FedEx almost double. UPS has already had some feelers out in Smith's area but nothing concete. This will be a long range objective and take at least 5-8 years to come close not to mention the $$$$. I agree that Kevin will use a lot of creative things to help the coverage w/o the time and expense on the front side.

we are the same company, but I do agree I would not want to pull package trailers becuase there is a huge difference in pay between our road drivers and theres.

They would have to combine centeral dispatching.

If I did a 500 mile run that took 10 hours, I would make 270-300 dollars for that run, depending on delay or work time. Just say $270.

With 8 hours at regular time $26 or so an hour and two hours of time and a half $39 or so an hour, that's $287-$300. I'm sure this isn't exact and I'm sure some one will come along to point this out, but it is not a huge difference. Even if it was 27 or 28 an hour.

In there new contract they top out at .7526 per mile for doubles.

and hourly there around $32 with suppliments

I would call that quite a bit more then we make

That would be $352 for the day.

In there new contract they top out at .7526 per mile for doubles.

and hourly there around $32 with suppliments

I would call that quite a bit more then we make

That would be $352 for the day.

I'll put it to you this way, If I were paid only for the miles I drive at .58 a mile it comes out to $377 a night. The way I am paid I make $754 for 2 days when I split mileage. Is that quite a bit more or a huge difference?

They clearly have a better deal but I would not say there's a huge difference. You know what I mean?