ODFL | Windshield reflections

xeastend

TB Veteran
Credits
I have read on the OD and others pages about cameras catching reflections. My company, Pyle, has factory installed, outward only cameras. Real tight against the glass. Do not see how that is possible. Explanations?? Pics are from a Peterbilt

KIMG0177.md.jpg

KIMG0179.md.jpg

Our outward facing cameras are angled back from the windshield to catch reflection. That's the difference between your camera and mine.

Our outward facing cameras are angled back from the windshield to catch reflection. That's the difference between your camera and mine.
Ok. Thought that may be the case. We were testing a Samsara system that was not right on the glass. Thanks

The lane departure camera is flush on the glass, the lytx fleet camera is several inches off the glass allowing for a reflection of the driver and surrounding area below camera level

OD did a pretty good job trying to assure people they wouldn't have driver facing cameras, but also strategically place the camera at such an angle it catches reflection of a phone at night. Haven't seen a whole lot of drivers in trouble during day

OD did a pretty good job trying to assure people they wouldn't have driver facing cameras, but also strategically place the camera at such an angle it catches reflection of a phone at night. Haven't seen a whole lot of drivers in trouble during day
And that's what will get the inward facing camera turned on. Guys on nights will start complaining it's not fair that we are the only ones getting in trouble. It opens the door for OD to even the playing field between nights/days. They will let us cut our on throats.

I’ve seen some guys at another carrier wrap a rag or a small towel around the camera to act as a shroud / boot so that it cannot pick up light from around and can only see directly out of the glass in front.

I’ve seen some guys at another carrier wrap a rag or a small towel around the camera to act as a shroud / boot so that it cannot pick up light from around and can only see directly out of the glass in front.
immediate termination as well
“Tampering with company property” or something like that

So what is the phone policy?
just like the federal law. hands free only. linehaul does not have a company "handheld" to communicate with the daytime dispatch. as i have said in previous post, dispatch will have to be re-trained to accept a p&d driver will not answer a call or pickup until they reach their next stop and the tractor is parked and key removed. This will cause missed pickups because of the delay between receiving the message and it being read due to a camera reflection that may be caught .

immediate termination as well
“Tampering with company property” or something like that
So, as long as you don't physically touch the camera housing is it tampering? such as taping a picture of your (family, dog, boat etc.) to the windshield count

The lane departure camera is flush on the glass, the lytx fleet camera is several inches off the glass allowing for a reflection of the driver and surrounding area below camera level
Pyle has the cam for incidents, not to monitor us. Logs are taken care of thru qualcomm/omnitracs. That is also used for communication. Mainly l/h. P&d has handhelds

just like the federal law. hands free only. linehaul does not have a company "handheld" to communicate with the daytime dispatch. as i have said in previous post, dispatch will have to be re-trained to accept a p&d driver will not answer a call or pickup until they reach their next stop and the tractor is parked and key removed. This will cause missed pickups because of the delay between receiving the message and it being read due to a camera reflection that may be caught .
Hit the nail on the head! They can call but im not hanging up with someone on my headset to answer and cater to them no more. They wanna go this route of untrust…..well, lets play. Let yrc or whoever theyll use as a secondary to pickup that freight. The bottom dollar is going to get hit hard!

Hit the nail on the head! They can call but im not hanging up with someone on my headset to answer and cater to them no more. They wanna go this route of untrust…..well, lets play. Let yrc or whoever theyll use as a secondary to pickup that freight. The bottom dollar is going to get hit hard!
Are these drivers being let go for actually holding the phone, or using their Bluetooth device?

Are these drivers being let go for actually holding the phone, or using their Bluetooth device?
Holding the phone. We're allowed to use a headset with a single touch to the phone. No swiping. We're also not allowed to use traffic apps that require you to touch the phone. Like zooming in for a street view.

Holding the phone. We're allowed to use a headset with a single touch to the phone. No swiping. We're also not allowed to use traffic apps that require you to touch the phone. Like zooming in for a street view.
Good to know. Map directions can be do between stops. Google maps will give you turn by turn to most places. Might not be the right directions for a truck, but still directions.