FedEx Freight | wonder about the engine off in Yards policy with DEF trucks!

Socal_FedEx

DDDUUUHHHHHH
Credits
I was wondering if the policy about turning off the truck when you get out while hooking or dropping with trucks that take DEF fluid is hurting the engine? I understand that the policy has been around for a long time but it was made when trucks didn't take DEF fluid. I did a test with my truck that takes DEF fluid cause I know when you turn off the truck to drop or hook you can hear it pumping the DEF fluid into the regen unit. If you ever got DEF on you, you know its gets sticky and when I got my truck back from the dealership (gone for two months due to the regen unit) I did not turn off my truck when hooking or dropping and never did the service engine light come on. Then once I got caught I started doing it the way I'm suppose to and guess what...the service engine light comes on and stays on now. I think this policy hurts the trucks that run DEF cause with turning off the truck to unhook, hook, drop gear or whatever that your only out of the truck for a couple of seconds to a minute and all the turning off and on and the DEF fluid getting pumped is clogging the system which in turn is costing the company alot of money to keep sending the trucks back to the dealership for repairs that could be avoided. Ayone else think about this?

I shut my DEF Tractor on and off 20 times while making and breaking a set of triples including stops for DEF, fuel and greasing the gears an 1 stop in dispatch and I do Not have the issue you are speaking of. It sounds like a problem with your tractor....Racer

How much greasing does a gear need?
I think my shoes have as much grease on them as the fifth wheels need, due to the excessive amounts of grease applied to fifth wheels.

The pump is actually clearing the lines and pumping the DEF back into the storage tank. While DEF isn't supposed to freeze, it will turn to slush in freezing temps. The DEF tank is heated and so are the lines so when the tractor has sat for a while in the winter, when you initially start it up it warms it all up before it actually starts working.
I think your check engine light is another issue.

I was wondering if the policy about turning off the truck when you get out while hooking or dropping with trucks that take DEF fluid is hurting the engine? I understand that the policy has been around for a long time but it was made when trucks didn't take DEF fluid. I did a test with my truck that takes DEF fluid cause I know when you turn off the truck to drop or hook you can hear it pumping the DEF fluid into the regen unit. If you ever got DEF on you, you know its gets sticky and when I got my truck back from the dealership (gone for two months due to the regen unit) I did not turn off my truck when hooking or dropping and never did the service engine light come on. Then once I got caught I started doing it the way I'm suppose to and guess what...the service engine light comes on and stays on now. I think this policy hurts the trucks that run DEF cause with turning off the truck to unhook, hook, drop gear or whatever that your only out of the truck for a couple of seconds to a minute and all the turning off and on and the DEF fluid getting pumped is clogging the system which in turn is costing the company alot of money to keep sending the trucks back to the dealership for repairs that could be avoided. Ayone else think about this?

Don't worry about it Socal, shutting the truck off has no effect on anything but the starter and using more fuel than if you let it idle for that few seconds, DEF is an environmental thing and shutting the truck off multiple times and DEF aren't tied together, DEF is a pain in the ass, and it stinks, don't let the truck run out or it will de-rate to a whopping 5 mph, at least ours will.

I know...but I hate losing my truck for weeks at a time cause of it! Thats the only reason why I care!

Yea, I know the feeling of rolling into the yard, and seeing your truck red tagged. At least for me, at that point, its like crap what piece of junk do I get to drive tonight.

Hey, with the new trucks, it takes forever for the engine and auto tranny to decide you can move. Start, stop, start, stop....... Darn, missed my gate again. Embrace the new policy people! Look for the pulsating veins on mgmnt's foreheads.

Hey, with the new trucks, it takes forever for the engine and auto tranny to decide you can move. Start, stop, start, stop....... Darn, missed my gate again. Embrace the new policy people! Look for the pulsating veins on mgmnt's foreheads.

When I'm in a hurry, like to get home, I shut the truck off, then turn the key back on while you are out hooking or whatever. Then maybe it's ready to start when you get back in instead of sitting there hearing all the beeping that drives you nuts.....