FedEx Freight | wonder about the engine off in Yards policy with DEF trucks!

When I'm in a hurry, like to get home, I shut the truck off, then turn the key back on while you are out hooking or whatever. Then maybe it's ready to start when you get back in instead of sitting there hearing all the beeping that drives you nuts.....

I do the same, if you ever drive an automatic then you will save some time(and other drivers time) for sure. That is aggravating, sitting there essentially dead in the water and it affects more than just the driver in that truck. Busy yard and many having to wait precious seconds on someone else backing or hooking, seconds that add up daily weekly etc. Its about as necessary as wearing a hard hat on a customers yard where there's nothing above. Dumb rules

" .......which is the way they wants it, well, they get's it! I don't like it anymore than you men"

Last edited by a moderator:
Busy yard and many having to wait precious seconds on someone else backing or hooking, seconds that add up daily weekly etc.

Do you realize how dumb that statement is. You're not resuscitating life after someone had a stroke. You're moving freight.

Guardrail

Do you realize how dumb that statement is. You're not resuscitating life after someone had a stroke. You're moving freight.

Guardrail

???? So I'm sitting there having to wait for my truck to cycle through so I can start it, and there are other drivers having to stop and wait, multiplied by all the other times this goes on. How many times during hooking unhooking putting to dock etc turning off the truck and waiting? Not sure you understood what I'm referring to. it's time wasted on that particular issue, the auto delay starting and how it impedes the flow, however small. And I would do as the poster above stated, turning the key back to run so it fires right up and drive engages when I'm ready to go. So it is not a dumb statement at all. You just want to bust my balls:Poke: Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Embrace it as another stated and while your at it embrace the pre trip inspection deadline all problems and get fixed before you leave shop or no shop sit on delay waiting for them to swing it or get vendor to fix it, they want safety well then give it to them you are doing nothing but doing your job the correct legal way it is supposed to be done.

???? So I'm sitting there having to wait for my truck to cycle through so I can start it, and there are other drivers having to stop and wait, multiplied by all the other times this goes on. How many times during hooking unhooking putting to dock etc turning off the truck and waiting? Not sure you understood what I'm referring to. it's time wasted on that particular issue, the auto delay starting and how it impedes the flow, however small. And I would do as the poster above stated, turning the key back to run so it fires right up and drive engages when I'm ready to go. So it is not a dumb statement at all. You just want to bust my balls:Poke: Thanks
Why are you in such a hurry? Are you accruing brownie points by being the fastest out the gate? Their stupid rule slows you down, so be it. When everyone starts missing their gate because of waiting for the truck to go, maybe this particular rule will be evaluated.
If added up seconds is that stressful, you damn sure need to find another line of work.

Why are you in such a hurry? Are you accruing brownie points by being the fastest out the gate? Their stupid rule slows you down, so be it. When everyone starts missing their gate because of waiting for the truck to go, maybe this particular rule will be evaluated.
If added up seconds is that stressful, you damn sure need to find another line of work.

I get your point, no brownies here, just want to hook and book, turn and burn, get it over, I don't live to work, I work to live. but on a typical hub turn for example, one is turning off the truck about 21 times? in ones work day (hooking dolly, spotting it, hooking lead, hooking dolly, etc) and some of these autos take about 7-9 seconds before they go. So by my rough calculations that is about 3 minutes a day, 15 minutes a week, however much a year wasted just by one driver waiting on the truck to go. Sure its miniscule in the scope of things in a day, and my self imposed efficiency gets blown to bits at the centers more than things clicking, but with all the numbers crunching we have to deal with I'm just doing my own part, for myself. I have an over the road paid by the run mentality, I want it done, gimme the cash. hourly? I got all day!:19:

And what was this topic about?? Oh yeah, I wonder if doing the key trick has any affect on the def auto trucks?

I get your point, no brownies here, just want to hook and book, turn and burn, get it over, I don't live to work, I work to live. but on a typical hub turn for example, one is turning off the truck about 21 times? in ones work day (hooking dolly, spotting it, hooking lead, hooking dolly, etc) and some of these autos take about 7-9 seconds before they go. So by my rough calculations that is about 3 minutes a day, 15 minutes a week, however much a year wasted just by one driver waiting on the truck to go. Sure its miniscule in the scope of things in a day, and my self imposed efficiency gets blown to bits at the centers more than things clicking, but with all the numbers crunching we have to deal with I'm just doing my own part, for myself. I have an over the road paid by the run mentality, I want it done, gimme the cash. hourly? I got all day!:19:

And what was this topic about?? Oh yeah, I wonder if doing the key trick has any affect on the def auto trucks?

The auto kcars I hear the def pump running everytime the keys is turned off so Starters and key switches, and def pumps they better get the parts room stocked had a guy get stuck In fuel island with one for over 10 mins lastnight t**** wouldn't start message said starter was overheated so sit and wait !!! Good idea morons!!!!

What's you beef pal? Why the concern for how much time I spend digging for gold? How much time do you spend looking in the mirror at yourself? Jeez:wavey:

Don't worry about it... He's probably one of those who gets back to the center and sits in the office an hour or two just so he doesn't have to go home...... Just makes me happier I have a home I want to get to....

Don't worry about it... He's probably one of those who gets back to the center and sits in the office an hour or two just so he doesn't have to go home...... Just makes me happier I have a home I want to get to....

Yup, someone who has over 15000 posts in about 42 months being a registered user, that comes out to something like 12 posts a day everyday. Talk about time wasted :1036316054:and he's worried about my boogs.

What's you beef pal? Why the concern for how much time I spend digging for gold? How much time do you spend looking in the mirror at yourself? Jeez:wavey:

No beef. You just sound like a whiney little girl complaining about the 15 minutes a week wasted waiting for the diagnostic check to cycle. I'd wager you've never done any other trucking besides the big Fred experience, have you?

Guardrail

We have a couple of those,they work 12 plus hours then stand around telling everyone what happened last night. Nobody cares,go home!

I was wondering if the policy about turning off the truck when you get out while hooking or dropping with trucks that take DEF fluid is hurting the engine? I understand that the policy has been around for a long time but it was made when trucks didn't take DEF fluid. I did a test with my truck that takes DEF fluid cause I know when you turn off the truck to drop or hook you can hear it pumping the DEF fluid into the regen unit. If you ever got DEF on you, you know its gets sticky and when I got my truck back from the dealership (gone for two months due to the regen unit) I did not turn off my truck when hooking or dropping and never did the service engine light come on. Then once I got caught I started doing it the way I'm suppose to and guess what...the service engine light comes on and stays on now. I think this policy hurts the trucks that run DEF cause with turning off the truck to unhook, hook, drop gear or whatever that your only out of the truck for a couple of seconds to a minute and all the turning off and on and the DEF fluid getting pumped is clogging the system which in turn is costing the company alot of money to keep sending the trucks back to the dealership for repairs that could be avoided. Ayone else think about this?
I hope it screws up all the engines....