ABF | working thanksgiving

you don't have to work the holiday days, it is paid days off, take it if you please. same goes for all other contractual holidays.. that's why it is in our contract.. if it weren't in our contract then be pissed. unfortunately some guys get stuckout or overlap and get the 4 hr pay for working into/on holiday, which is bonus/ or penalty if you take it that way. they cant force you to work exception road drivers whose runs have them out.. plan accordingly if possible.

I agree with your thoughts though,, I never have worked Thanksgiving or Christmas, never will.. Judy being religious and all seems to be a bit off on this if its her call.
My run will finish Thursday morning very early around 1 or 2 am. I'll take that extra 4 hours pay. I didn't care about working thanksgiving morning, just not Thurs night into Friday! I'd like to see my family!

Ok so we don't have to work on a paid holiday. Can someone post were that is at in the contract. Page number or cut and paste it to the site. I don't want to work on the holiday. Thanks

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Trucker, it is in the part of the contract that says 'the company cannot eat you.' In other words, what can ABF management do to you if you call off sick or refuse to answer the phone. Seriously, what is the absolute most they can do to you? Personally, I try to work on as many holidays as possible. I call off so much during the year I need the extra 4hr holiday pay in order to make a livable salary. So many drivers complain about the schedule but I notice these are the same drivers who very seldom file grievances and are afraid of the company. In the words of one of the Atlanta union stewards “they can't eat you!”[/FONT]

my run takes me into the early morning hours of Thanksgiving. Should I shut it down at the stroke of midnight, tell the company I dont work holidays and catch a cab home ? lol. :smilie93C_peelout:

Company post on the bulletin board sites line haul will operate on the holiday. Not optional or as needed. So nice of Judy to include the purchase transportion in with us. Welcome to the new arc best
Am I missing something here? How can you think you can be forced to work on Thanksgiving when it is a paid HOLIDAY! You can not be forced to work on a compensated Holiday.

So please would someone explain why people are in a uproar over the company saying you will work it. Are the Teamsters at our company so scared they will now do whatever they are told right or wrong. If you want to work over the holiday and they have work go for it but if you don't want to work the holiday then you can not be force in my opinion. HAPPY HOLIDAYS YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

My run will finish Thursday morning very early around 1 or 2 am. I'll take that extra 4 hours pay. I didn't care about working thanksgiving morning, just not Thurs night into Friday! I'd like to see my family!
Now this is a interesting thought. In this drivers case he will be coming in around 1 or 2 on Thanksgiving day and the company will have to pay him the penalty pay for the day. Now since they have paid him the penalty pay has he now given up his right to the day off because of the payment of the penalty pay? I say he does not give up that right but what would a committee say? After all abf will have had to pay the penalty to him. YOUR WATCHING THIS HOLIDAY CLOSELY BROTHER ALWAYS!

Now this is a interesting thought. In this drivers case he will be coming in around 1 or 2 on Thanksgiving day and the company will have to pay him the penalty pay for the day. Now since they have paid him the penalty pay has he now given up his right to the day off because of the payment of the penalty pay? I say he does not give up that right but what would a committee say? After all abf will have had to pay the penalty to him. YOUR WATCHING THIS HOLIDAY CLOSELY BROTHER ALWAYS!

You cannot have two punches on the same day but Fri is also a holiday so one would assume they could bring him in for Fri..That would also depend on what time your holiday pay starts.. The NY/NJ supplement I believe starts at 9PM prior to the holiday.. These companies have ton's of money they like to throw away..

I'm hoping we get Friday work. :wee: Nothing satiates my appetite like a good old fashioned dose of double time. :wee: I'd get paid like a road driver. :wee:

You cannot have two punches on the same day but Fri is also a holiday so one would assume they could bring him in for Fri..That would also depend on what time your holiday pay starts.. The NY/NJ supplement I believe starts at 9PM prior to the holiday.. These companies have ton's of money they like to throw away..
He stated he would return to his home domicile around 01:00 or 02:00 meaning that he is a road driver and they can return to duty with 10 hours off. One punch in a 24 hour period is for city drivers. So if he gets in at 01:00 in the morning he would be available for a work call at 11:00 am on a normal business day.

But my question was if he was paid holiday penalty pay for working after midnight would he be required to accept a work call on Thanksgiving because of the company having already paid the EXTRA HOLIDAY PAY TO HIM! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Maybe can't punch in twice in one day but if one starts on Friday, clocks out on Sat, still punches out on same day as punch in on card. I do believe that driver can come back in on Sat with ten hours off.

He stated he would return to his home domicile around 01:00 or 02:00 meaning that he is a road driver and they can return to duty with 10 hours off. One punch in a 24 hour period is for city drivers. So if he gets in at 01:00 in the morning he would be available for a work call at 11:00 am on a normal business day.

But my question was if he was paid holiday penalty pay for working after midnight would he be required to accept a work call on Thanksgiving because of the company having already paid the EXTRA HOLIDAY PAY TO HIM! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

I know. I am sick enough to be unable to safely drive a CMV. Upon feeling well enough to return to work, I will call & inform you. Click. Oh yea, do not forget to record your call to dispatch, just in case they forget to mark it down on the sheet.

:Omg_I_gets_present_
Count me in and after 8 it's triple time, genuine triple time ca ching ca ching, triple time.
I mean...it is triple time after 8, isn't it? If not I'll pass. Can I work 14 hrs and net 52 hrs pay for the day??? :hyper: :Omg_I_gets_present_:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Muleris correct; at least in the southern conference. As road drivers weclock in, an out, on the same day all the time. And, at least in thesouthern conference, there is nothing in the contract that states onceyou get paid the 4hr holiday penalty pay you must be available towork all day. The contract only states that if you work on a holiday, you areentitled to 4hrs penalty pay. Over the past 14 yrs I have clockedinto my home terminal at 00:30 to receive the 4hr penalty pay andthen called off sick on my evening run. I have never gotten a warningletter or had management say anything to me about doing that. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Muler is correct; at least in the southern conference. As road drivers we clock in, an out, on the same day all the time. And, at least in the southern conference, there is nothing in the contract that states one you get paid the 4hr holiday penalty pay you must be available to work all day. It only states that if you work on a holiday, you are entitled to 4hrs penalty pay. Over the past 14yrs I have clocked into my home terminal at 00:30 to receive the 4hr penalty pay and then called of sick on my evening run. I have never gotten a warning letter or had management say anything to me about doing that. [/FONT]

i have not gone back and read these, but you are not required to work any paid holiday, not necessary to say you are sick. just say I am not available until after the holiday..
or extra board you go on at midnight first day after holiday.. this should be every conference, no confusion.. paid day off.. penalty if you work into,, do not have to stay on board if you work into.. hog wash......don't let them make you think otherwise.. at our terminal they ask usually if we want to be available or not throughout 2 day holidays...

i have not gone back and read these, but you are not required to work any paid holiday, not necessary to say you are sick. just say I am not available until after the holiday..
or extra board you go on at midnight first day after holiday.. this should be every conference, no confusion.. paid day off.. penalty if you work into,, do not have to stay on board if you work into.. hog wash......don't let them make you think otherwise.. at our terminal they ask usually if we want to be available or not throughout 2 day holidays...

thats only for the dock, not road drivers. the road only has xmas off, per the contract. anything else is company discretion. theyre going to run on the holiday. on the dock theyll be calling the xtra board for 0001 start fri night/sat morning. they dont ASK at 042, they INFORM you that youre working haha. even xmas on the road they start calling 8 or 9 pm for 11pm dispatch xmas night. Merry xmas, get plenty of rest!