TForce | Written up for taking breaks!!!

upsfreightnate

TB Lurker
Credits
Thursday morning last week myself and two other fellow employees were brought into the office and written up for taking our breaks!!! Mine was for taking a 15 minute break (which was entered in the DIAD) at a gas station a mile away from the terminal. Now ask me how they knew I was there and I couldn't give you an answer. I asked the TM are you kidding me and his reply is "you are not to stop at that gas station again...NOBODY is." I asked if it was something we did to anger the owners of the station. He said "nope I don't want you there because all the other drivers will think they can stop there too." My reply "don't we have a right to stop when and where we want as long as it's not a bar or strip joint?" He says with an evil smirk.."I say where you guys can go and that is all" I told him I refused to sign that because it's the most rediculous load of crap I have ever heard. Well his response "sign it or go home!" I asked if that was a permanant deal and he said "most certainly."
I am at whits end with these high and mighty jerk-offs!!! I got a copy of that write up and showed to anyone who asked and 100% said it is pure shyte! Well thinking I might be able to get some help from corporate HA HA HA..I made a few calls of the 5 only 2 reponded.

First one was from our regional muckety muck who said basically just do what your told and don't make any trouble. Thanks DINK.
Second one came from our pals at the union office who I called just to see what would happen if we were in a union setting and he said flat out "they would be in a world of hurt if they pulled that stunt with any of our guys" I found that to be reassuring and asked when we can start the card check and was told the beginning of DEC.

Is this the last desperate attemp of our management to try to be tough before the UNION arrives and they are left cowering in their office knowing they have to sit in their offices and shut their five foot five, napoleon complexed little puke holes.

I need a drink........................:cuss:

Thursday morning last week myself and two other fellow employees were brought into the office and written up for taking our breaks!!! Mine was for taking a 15 minute break (which was entered in the DIAD) at a gas station a mile away from the terminal. Now ask me how they knew I was there and I couldn't give you an answer. I asked the TM are you kidding me and his reply is "you are not to stop at that gas station again...NOBODY is." I asked if it was something we did to anger the owners of the station. He said "nope I don't want you there because all the other drivers will think they can stop there too." My reply "don't we have a right to stop when and where we want as long as it's not a bar or strip joint?" He says with an evil smirk.."I say where you guys can go and that is all" I told him I refused to sign that because it's the most rediculous load of crap I have ever heard. Well his response "sign it or go home!" I asked if that was a permanant deal and he said "most certainly."
I am at whits end with these high and mighty jerk-offs!!! I got a copy of that write up and showed to anyone who asked and 100% said it is pure shyte! Well thinking I might be able to get some help from corporate HA HA HA..I made a few calls of the 5 only 2 reponded.

First one was from our regional muckety muck who said basically just do what your told and don't make any trouble. Thanks DINK.
Second one came from our pals at the union office who I called just to see what would happen if we were in a union setting and he said flat out "they would be in a world of hurt if they pulled that stunt with any of our guys" I found that to be reassuring and asked when we can start the card check and was told the beginning of DEC.

Is this the last desperate attemp of our management to try to be tough before the UNION arrives and they are left cowering in their office knowing they have to sit in their offices and shut their five foot five, napoleon complexed little puke holes.

UPS EYE SPY! Tell him you had to take a dump, or at least find a station some where else. Is 5' 5" the new height requirement for management? I call my tm the posion dwarf.:smilie_132:

after the deal is done, wont the BA, steward or some union official be able to go into the managers office and together, clean out our personel files of write-ups? anybody know how that works?

That sounds like something that happenend here. The driver took his break at a gas station about a mile down the road, different driver called the terminal and told them, and driver got written up. The only difference is, nobody knew that there was a "break" in the diad, we have been taking 15 minute breaks by the honor system before that day.

T

I ran into this very situation once. An old TM posted a notice saying the drivers could not take their breaks at a gas station right down the road from the terminal.
As soon as the steward saw the notice he took it down and gave it back to the TM and we never heard another thing about it.

Does the City operation also get 15 minute breaks or just a 30 minute lunch?
As much down time there is in the day I take my #1 and #2 at the customers bathrooms.
I was told driving to a lunch spot would be part of your 30 minute lunch and not when you arrive. It would be stealing time if we drove to a spot and than entered the lunch delay on the Diad. I would think the same thing applies to taking a 15 minute break.

That sounds like something that happenend here. The driver took his break at a gas station about a mile down the road, different driver called the terminal and told them, and driver got written up. The only difference is, nobody knew that there was a "break" in the diad, we have been taking 15 minute breaks by the honor system before that day.

And just why would another driver report the first one? I just don't get it. :duh: :duh:

why can't you stop at a strip joint on your break? I stop at the bordello in wells and have coffee and chili with the girls all the time, I haven't seen a warning letter maybe I am just special....o is done dead and buried close the coffin lid and lets get on with it.

why can't you stop at a strip joint on your break? I stop at the bordello in wells and have coffee and chili with the girls all the time, I haven't seen a warning letter maybe I am just special....o is done dead and buried close the coffin lid and lets get on with it.

Coffee and Chili? You must have a cast iron stomach.

And just why would another driver report the first one? I just don't get it. :duh: :duh:

Because the driver that was told on is a pain to most of the drivers, and some are trying to get him fired. If they tell management he gets written up. Management has writing this driver up twice for not unloading his truck when he gets in, and then finding something misloaded during his route and calling it in. This is just what is happening here at this terminal.

Just be careful and hide your cheese cause the rats are out there and they will take a bite the first chance they get!!! We have a feeleing who is the rat but it will take some time to smoke it out!! And when we do....:chairshot: It seems that this nit-picking is coming to a head and those with seniority and are at top scale are getting rubbed out so that the newbies at bottom scale can have a run of it all!

The four HORSEman are coming you bastards!!!

"Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent" -Napoleon Bonaparte

Just to let you guy's no, laws pertaining to breaks and lunches at this point are for the most part under supervision of the state.

The state I am in only requires a 30 minute lunch per day and companies can offer more if they do choose too.

The state I am in requires 30 for 8 hrs , or 1 hr. for anything after 8 , or 1\2 hr and 2 ,15 minute breaks .

Its all up to the state in wich you live.

First for the one who asked about the power of a union steward.
He,or she,whoever can help for present,and future management violation of our rights.
But the past is there to stay.

Now with the breaks this may just be my opinion.
But I think we got the breaks added to our Diad after OHSA got on UPS's back with the yard deaths,and the new yard rules that we were given.
Before we got those two 15 minute breaks UPS wanted us out of the yard after we clocked in within 20 minutes.
Thats 20 minutes to get our DR's make sure our loads would ride,check out our first stop,put our hand cart,and pallet jack on our trailers,close the trailer door then put the chain accross the dock door,or close the overhead dock door.
Get our Diads started by logging in.
Go out,to fire up our city horses,and build up the air pressure,do our hook up,then pull up to pre trip,put in route to our first stop,then hit the bricks.

Thats a lot of stuff for as few as 20 minutes.
Then we were to only get 10 minutes to get everything done at the end of the day after we backed into our route dock at our terminal.

I feel that OHSA strongly suggested that UPS give us these two 15 minute breaks to help us slow down and be safe with our work activities.

I use the first break to drive to my lunch stop,and get my food,then I take the 30 minute lunch.
When I come into my terminal I use the other break along with the 10 minutes to finish up.
And thats the way I deal with UPS's pushy ways,so I will still have some form of sanity by the time I clock out,and go home.

I feel for you guys who dont have your state mandate 15min breaks after every 4 hours and a 30min for every 8 hour shift with another mandated 30min after 12 hours and with an option to take that 30 after 10 hours. Our dispatchers get on us if we dont take those breaks and I thought UPS just went through that lawsuit over breaks and lunches which is why we even got the break put in the diad to begin with. If you remember at first the diad didnt have that option. I personally do not use the break to use the restroom when the office, dock, and mechanics use that break to use the restroom then so will I, till that day they can stick it. As for where we can use the break we were only given commons sense rules (ie..bar, stripclub, fedex) hell some guys take the break right outside the terminal in the street we were never told anything.

I feel for you guys who dont have your state mandate 15min breaks after every 4 hours and a 30min for every 8 hour shift with another mandated 30min after 12 hours and with an option to take that 30 after 10 hours. Our dispatchers get on us if we dont take those breaks and I thought UPS just went through that lawsuit over breaks and lunches which is why we even got the break put in the diad to begin with. If you remember at first the diad didnt have that option. I personally do not use the break to use the restroom when the office, dock, and mechanics use that break to use the restroom then so will I, till that day they can stick it. As for where we can use the break we were only given commons sense rules (ie..bar, stripclub, fedex) hell some guys take the break right outside the terminal in the street we were never told anything.

Breaks and lunches are mandated by the state in which you live, if that is what the great state of california recognizes, then that is what you are supposed to have.

Ok then I stand corrected on the break issue.
This isn't the first time I've been ignorant of whats going on with our company.

after the deal is done, wont the BA, steward or some union official be able to go into the managers office and together, clean out our personel files of write-ups? anybody know how that works?

Once the barn goes Union, all write ups and such are erased. You start a new!!! :1036316054:

Just be careful and hide your cheese cause the rats are out there and they will take a bite the first chance they get!!! We have a feeleing who is the rat but it will take some time to smoke it out!! And when we do....:chairshot: It seems that this nit-picking is coming to a head and those with seniority and are at top scale are getting rubbed out so that the newbies at bottom scale can have a run of it all!

The four HORSEman are coming you bastards!!!

"Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent" -Napoleon Bonaparte

Our rats are right out there in front of us, it's called the safety committee.