XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why union drives don't get very far. People get overwhelmed by a bunch of lip service and ridiculousness. And when you ask a real question it gets deflected. Makes for a tough sell. When you look around at all that is going on. There is one strong example. UPS. And the rest is :::shit:::.

An example. During the big union push here years ago. The pro guys promised a strike fund that would pay people that didn't get to work if things got nasty. They told these guys that it would pay them their regular weekly wages until the strike was over. I laughed and said that was a lie. That I had been in that local and told we weren't aloud to strike. ( What ? why would they do that ? ) And if we did there was only enough money in the strike fund to give the first 8 guys $80 a day for 8 hours of picketing. Don't show up, you get nothing. If you're not in the 8 man goody two shoes click, you get nothing. ( That can't be true. You're making that up. ) Well when they went down on Saturday looking for the truth on that, guess what they heard ? It's from simple examples like this all the way up to big topics like you list. Double talk, false claims and empty promises.

The union likes to talk about being informed and getting educated. But there is a lot to learn about the union.

By the way. When I worked at UPS. Those guys are really smart and truly stand together. The strike fund there had enough money to pay everyone their regular wages for years. Literally, they told us two years guaranteed. But that some of the money was invested and they couldn't promise it or include it but that there was more money available if it was needed. That was 15 years ago already, but I learned a lot from the experience. A union is only as strong as it's members.

You look at what happened to CF and what do you see ? You look at what has happened at YRC and what do you see ?

Blame whichever management you want. It's the rank and file that decided their fate. Not some union local president or the companies VP of whatever. It was the rank and file.

Getting grouchy and typing angry. I need a nap.
Well when you get accustomed to treatment and pay and whatever benefits you get or you're that "special"redneck that gets good treatment you don't realize how much more you could get as a group with a voice.Now you're at the mercy of whatever your master wants to do with you.as far as that "special"person he or she doesn't want things to change at the expense of others

There is a lot going on right now and it may not be as apparent at more secluded smaller terminals but things are not right and it seems no one has a clue how to fix it. I don't know if its the tight shoestring budget that has everyone going crazy and feeling at risk but it's not good. They seem unable to fill manager positions. We are also losing AE 's at an alarming rate. I hope someone get this under control soon.

Exactly. Maybe they know something we don't ? Very concerning.

Has to be a hard sell. To get half way through the year and realize your score card is completely jacked. And so much of your compensation is tied to that bonus and that bonus is tied to those numbers. Why stay and work the rest of the year for nothing ?

What?? They only representing 16 million worker's? Ssshhh that's nothing.. According to some people who say. Worker's have nothing to complain. Don't be left in an lonely island. You union lover's have no one to represent you. But Oh well to bad FedEx started decertifation of their location. I guess the company management will alway's be there for the worker's well being..
It must have been that olive branch.

Still hiring at the union barns in this town. If you want a union job, fill out an application. Easy as that.

Yes, if the company would've given me the option to keep my pension for 2.5 hour a month, I would have jumped on board.

Sarcasm alert:

Well you must feel some sense of relief that the pension is still funded at the federally mandated minimum for five years upon your retirement. How many years did you get into it ? 5 ? 10 ? Might be looking at $400 a month for 60 months. $24,000. That's three months of what they sold you when you hired in !

( singing ) Always look on the bright side of life ( whistles a tune )

Well when you get accustomed to treatment and pay and whatever benefits you get or you're that "special"redneck that gets good treatment you don't realize how much more you could get as a group with a voice.Now you're at the mercy of whatever your master wants to do with you.as far as that "special"person he or she doesn't want things to change at the expense of others

This post makes no sense. And it sounds like you don't even work here. Do you understand what we are talking about at all ? We got bought. They are gutting the company. We ain't got ::shit::, no drivers, no tractors, no dollies and no trailers. Pretty soon no freight, with the way this is going. And they will sell this again. To what end we don't yet know.

The argument is no longer. Go union or not. It's can a union do anything about any of this to begin with ? And is what is left worth sticking around for ? By time you go through all the steps to install a union in a few barns it might be 10 years. It's already been a few. Is it worth it to even bother ? When you can take your CDL else where ? Considering where this company will be by then ?

Con-way was a top flight company. Paid top wages. Pension. 100% health care. XPO isn't any of that. None of it. At this point we are run of the mill. The way things are going, pretty soon people will be leaving because virtually all other companies will be offering significantly better compensation. You lose some vacation. And gotta start over at the bottom. Entry level wages will be a pain at first. By in 2 or three years when you top out somewhere else. What will the difference really be ?

After reading this, do you still get the idea that any of us are feeling special ? In any way special at all ? Is that what you come away with ?

This post makes no sense. And it sounds like you don't even work here. Do you understand what we are talking about at all ? We got bought. They are gutting the company. We ain't got :::shit:::, no drivers, no tractors, no dollies and no trailers. Pretty soon no freight, with the way this is going. And they will sell this again. To what end we don't yet know.

The argument is no longer. Go union or not. It's can a union do anything about any of this to begin with ? And is what is left worth sticking around for ? By time you go through all the steps to install a union in a few barns it might be 10 years. It's already been a few. Is it worth it to even bother ? When you can take your CDL else where ? Considering where this company will be by then ?

Con-way was a top flight company. Paid top wages. Pension. 100% health care. XPO isn't any of that. None of it. At this point we are run of the mill. The way things are going, pretty soon people will be leaving because virtually all other companies will be offering significantly better compensation. You lose some vacation. And gotta start over at the bottom. Entry level wages will be a pain at first. By in 2 or three years when you top out somewhere else. What will the difference really be ?

After reading this, do you still get the idea that any of us are feeling special ? In any way special at all ? Is that what you come away with ?
We are at the point now when someone goes on vacation or calls off , you are not surprised if they don't come back. Get a new job while you can - economy doesn't always go up.

This post makes no sense. And it sounds like you don't even work here. Do you understand what we are talking about at all ? We got bought. They are gutting the company. We ain't got :::shit:::, no drivers, no tractors, no dollies and no trailers. Pretty soon no freight, with the way this is going. And they will sell this again. To what end we don't yet know.

I agree with a lot of what you say but not all. Where we differ is our approach to trying to make a difference. The way I see it there's 3 ways to handle it.
1) Sit back and ride it to the bottom and look for a job when it sinks to a level where you loose everything that holds you here.( benefits, pay , etc)

2) Quit and find a new job.

3) Take a stand and fight for a contract that guarantees you some sort of equatable compensation.

When we were bought by a Wall Street guy that sealed the deal as far as us being treated equitably.
It's not anything personal against anyone but that the way their game works. I know people hate to face the fact that things will not improve for employees if left to its course . It's would have been easier for me personally and my fellow workers to sit back and not have said enough is enough . Nothing is gained without taking risk.
The people running the show now will try to take everything to the minimum at this point to increase profits and boost the stock price because in the end right now that is the soul focus.

You can ride it out and hope they have your best interest at heart but I think you would be mislead in doing so.

Sarcasm alert:

Well you must feel some sense of relief that the pension is still funded at the federally mandated minimum for five years upon your retirement. How many years did you get into it ? 5 ? 10 ? Might be looking at $400 a month for 60 months. $24,000. That's three months of what they sold you when you hired in !

( singing ) Always look on the bright side of life ( whistles a tune )

Were you guy offered a buy out of this pension? If so at what rate and why didn't you take it?
To me it sound as if you guys would a lot better investing it yourselves and you would have control of the money not the company.

I don't really get what's going on with our company besides the company atmosphere of cut everything and increase profits. We do have some new trailers, tractors, and I don't believe I've ever seen a brand new dolly, just rebuilds.

Our freight levels are really wild. We're busy one day and the next barely moving anything.

I really want this place to work because I'm too lazy to go find another job, but I do look at job boards. I don't think this place will be here in 10 or 15 years but who knows really. They need to start doing some maintenance on these terminals. It sure would be nice to have a closed dock like many of the other LTLs have. It'll be 15 degrees before long.

Edit: I should add, I really don't think the union will happen here at XPO LTL. Sucker666 I know you really believe/want it to work here, and you may get a contract at your barn, and a couple others. But it won't happen at every barn across the board.

I don't know if you're a line driver or ever been one to see other drivers besides your barn but the majority of drivers here are older guys. These older guys have quite a bit of seniority or are lower ranked and are here because their other company folded or what-have-you. In other words, they just want to last a few more years and don't have a desire or real incentive for anything to change. They just want the money and some health insurance.

Last edited:
Were you guy offered a buy out of this pension? If so at what rate and why didn't you take it?
To me it sound as if you guys would a lot better investing it yourselves and you would have control of the money not the company.

First off. That entire post was pissy snide :shit:tyness.

Second. No buy out was offered to anyone. The former Con-way pension is funded such that every one eligible will receive the mandated minimum pay out of 1/3 the original earned benefit for a maximum of 60 months. Any unclaimed money goes back to the company.

Last I heard YRC was only putting 25% of what they are required to put into the pension fund.

Actually I was understanding it that the company had suspended all monetary contributions to the pension and that emloyees were earning their pension benefit at 25% per year. Such that it would take four years to earn one year of pension. Per the MOU. How I read it.

I don't really get what's going on with our company besides the company atmosphere of cut everything and increase profits. We do have some new trailers, tractors, and I don't believe I've ever seen a brand new dolly, just rebuilds.

Our freight levels are really wild. We're busy one day and the next barely moving anything.

I really want this place to work because I'm too lazy to go find another job, but I do look at job boards. I don't think this place will be here in 10 or 15 years but who knows really. They need to start doing some maintenance on these terminals. It sure would be nice to have a closed dock like many of the other LTLs have. It'll be 15 degrees before long.

Edit: I should add, I really don't think the union will happen here at XPO LTL. Sucker666 I know you really believe/want it to work here, and you may get a contract at your barn, and a couple others. But it won't happen at every barn across the board.

I don't know if you're a line driver or ever been one to see other drivers besides your barn but the majority of drivers here are older guys. These older guys have quite a bit of seniority or are lower ranked and are here because their other company folded or what-have-you. In other words, they just want to last a few more years and don't have a desire or real incentive for anything to change. They just want the money and some health insurance.

I agree there is new equipment entering the system. I should clarify that in my post I meant that we don't have enough equipment.

I agree with a lot of what you say but not all. Where we differ is our approach to trying to make a difference. The way I see it there's 3 ways to handle it.
1) Sit back and ride it to the bottom and look for a job when it sinks to a level where you loose everything that holds you here.( benefits, pay , etc)

2) Quit and find a new job.

3) Take a stand and fight for a contract that guarantees you some sort of equatable compensation.

When we were bought by a Wall Street guy that sealed the deal as far as us being treated equitably.
It's not anything personal against anyone but that the way their game works. I know people hate to face the fact that things will not improve for employees if left to its course . It's would have been easier for me personally and my fellow workers to sit back and not have said enough is enough . Nothing is gained without taking risk.
The people running the show now will try to take everything to the minimum at this point to increase profits and boost the stock price because in the end right now that is the soul focus.

You can ride it out and hope they have your best interest at heart but I think you would be mislead in doing so.

1. You've stuck around this long. The hay day of Con-way was 20 years ago. Slow and steady disintegration from after 9-11-01 to present.

2. We will all come to that in time.

3. There ain't no guarantees. Taking a stand might offer some temporary relief from whatever. But as we have discussed. Things have gotten terribad for management. Some of that frustration is bound to be expressed outwardly. Cut cut cut. More with less has become less and less.

What do you actually expect to gain ? A raise ? With the way things are going, will we get a raise next year ? A bonus ? With these numbers, who is going to be getting any bonus next year ? What if you guys manage to table a discussion and the company shows up with your numbers and shows you are losing money and they want you to accept lower compensation ? What then ? I get you're effort. I just don't understand how you see a path to your desired result.

Status
Not open for further replies.