XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The union makes no money from a pension fund so please explain how that would be the demise of the Teamsters? I think you may still be thinking the Teamsters still somehow are funded through a pension fund.
I think what he means is that if YRC closes or somehow exits the CSPF that there will no longer be any one of significance funding it. Leading to it's abolition. If you read up on the state of pensions in America. It's not just the CSPF that's in bad shape. And several others that are doing well would certainly not be in as good of shape if they were to lose such a significant contribution. Like songreamainsthesame asked. Where is that money ? Who has it right now ? Who does it actually belong to right now ? Will any of it be where it was supposed to be when the time comes for it to be there ?

Have you heard of a run on a bank? That were account holds, a lot of the demand all the money. This happened in other countries. It has also happen in Dallas tx.
High-speed you are right in what you said. I might not have put it simple enough works for others. I guess I should have said the teamster pension could survive a pension run.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dal...on-board-ends-run-bank-stops-154m-withdrawals

I'm not a pension expert but I believe it would be impossible to make a run on most defined pension funds . There is no pension banks that you can just run to and withdraw your balance .You generally do not have a balance or stated amount of dollars but rather a defined amount that you receive monthly from the pool of Money that your employer has paid into the pension for you. The money is not earmarked in an amount ( your slice of the pie per say ) for you. Now if there is a cash out option ( which is not offered in funds cspf to the best of my knowledge) that's a different story. Cash out options are generally offered in lieu of continuing to collect a monthly payment from the fund. Cash payments almost never equal the amount you would receive over a lifetime. If a buyout amount was offered for the Cspf than it's possible that your hypothetical theory of a fund being drained could be possible.

Last edited:
All this talk and focus on defined benefits plans( pension) failures vs the risk of 401k's here is some interesting reading on how 401k 's are not living up to there expectations .
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2016/03/04/Retirement-Revolution-Failed-Why-401k-Isn-t-Working?amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2015/03/20/l-it-the-401k-is-a-failure.html

Remember the 401k is you contributing money from your gross income vs. pension which you contribute nothing and retain more of your income.

401k plans can work "if" you have enough money to invest from your income, "you" have to make wise investment choices with those moneys that you invest and get a decent match on your contributions. Unfortunately a great number of are co-workers may not Fulfill the first two requirements and the current match that new employees get is lacking at best . We do not have a retirement plan at this point that will meet most employees needs in retirement.

Last edited:
All this talk and focus on defined benefits plans( pension) failures vs the risk of 401k's here is some interesting reading on how 401k 's are not living up to there expectations .
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2016/03/04/Retirement-Revolution-Failed-Why-401k-Isn-t-Working?amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2015/03/20/l-it-the-401k-is-a-failure.html

Remember the 401k is you contributing money from your gross income vs. pension which you contribute nothing and retain more of your income.

401k plans can work "if" you have enough money to invest from your income, "you" have to make wise investment choices with those moneys that you invest and get a decent match on your contributions. Unfortunately a great number of are co-workers may not Fulfill the first two requirements and the current match that new employees get is lacking at best . We do not have a retirement plan at this point that will meet most employees needs in retirement.
Our lack of even an average 401k is pathetic. We deserve more that what they give. Every LTL out there has better plan than we do.

Everyone that's against the union always goes back to this pension thing. I would venture to say that if the guys ever see a contract, a pension would not be on the table. I see a much better and stronger form of a 401k being what is ageed upon.
If guys are voting strictly on a pension, that to me is bad. Union representation is WAY more than just a pension.

Our lack of even an average 401k is pathetic. We deserve more that what they give. Every LTL out there has better plan than we do.

Everyone that's against the union always goes back to this pension thing. I would venture to say that if the guys ever see a contract, a pension would not be on the table. I see a much better and stronger form of a 401k being what is ageed upon.
If guys are voting strictly on a pension, that to me is bad. Union representation is WAY more than just a pension.
I agree but that's quick thing they can point at and say the unions are no good. Their is far more to gain then just retirement funding but retirement plan is a biggie. Not all pension plans are offered by unions and to blame the deterioration of pension on unions is incorrect.
There are many options when it comes to retirement plans . What we have now is insufficient in my opinion. With wages stagnant not many people can afford to increase their 401k contributions.
There is a balance that can be obtained that will allow us to have better retirement funding and allow the company to remain being competitive . I think when this is obtained both the company will gain by attracting and maintaining a quality work force. A sort of win for both. Where we're heading now is the complete opposite and unsubstanable.

Last edited:
I
I agree but that's quick thing they can point at and say the unions are no good. Their is far more to gain then just retirement funding but retirement plan is a biggie. Not all pension plans are offered by unions and to blame the deterioration of pension on unions is incorrect.
There are many options when it comes to retirement plans . What we have now is insufficient in my opinion. With wages stagnant not many people can afford to increase their 401k contributions.
There is a balance that can be obtained that will allow us to have better retirement funding and allow the company to remain being competitive . I think when this is obtained both the company will gain by attracting and maintaining a quality work force. A sort of win for both. Where we're heading now is the complete opposite and unsubstanable.
I agree and I would love to have a separate pension to go along with my 401k but I just don't see it happening today. My point is, as you made, there is more to it than just a pension. Our 401k plan is garbage. I'm sure many folks either don't contribute, or contribute less, since there is no match from the company.

I

I agree and I would love to have a separate pension to go along with my 401k but I just don't see it happening today. My point is, as you made, there is more to it than just a pension. Our 401k plan is garbage. I'm sure many folks either don't contribute, or contribute less, since there is no match from the company.
Yes I'm not hung up on a defined benefits plan but we definitely have a lot of room for improvement to what we have.

Yes I'm not hung up on a defined benefits plan but we definitely have a lot of room for improvement to what we have.
It's still amazes me that some people say the unions don't do anything for the working people and that unions (teamsters)are a cancer as some people put it. Then i read something like this and wonder who the real cancer is? Is it the union or the people who are willing to trust the rich?

http://www.ktvu.com/news/272407202-story

https://www.google.com/amp/www.merc...of-facebook-cafeteria-workers-join-union/amp/
This are examples of people being a union.

Oh yeah. This driver's don't require all the certifications or the extreme pressures that most of you go threw. And there making way more than any us.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-transcript-xpo-earnings-conference-204849835.html Where in any of all of this do you see anything about getting some love for the drivers?

I don't know how you miss it, honestly. We've gotten a raise every year since the buyout. On the call they talked about lowering the age of the fleet, which means they're buying new trucks and we've all seen the trailers. They're hiring sales people, showing they can learn from their f-ups. They're hiring dockworkers so we can drive. They wouldn't be doing all of that if they were trying to dump the company for Christmas. My retirement account is mine, and I'll have no problem getting another job if I need one.

And I know the lines about labor utilization and engineered standards are scary, but the biggest gripes on here are about the people we work with not pulling their weight. Do you want them to address that or not? I really can't tell.

I think it's going to take some time to figure this out. Longer than 2 years. They're going to make more mistakes. But I'm betting they're going to work hard at it for several years to come, and I'm not worried about pay or benefit cuts in that time. Eventually the people using the union as a shield against such cuts are going to realize they're betting on the wrong dog.

Last edited:
And I know the lines about labor utilization and engineered standards are scary, but the biggest gripes on here are about the people we work with not pulling their weight. Do you want them to address that or not? I really can't tell.

People not pulling their weight AND the management is aware of it and fails to act. Management runs the company. Management should DIRECTLY address those individuals. Instead there are all types of schemes to address problems that are not problems that create new problems that did not exist in the first place.

People not pulling their weight AND the management is aware of it and fails to act. Management runs the company. Management should DIRECTLY address those individuals.

The problem is that there's just no objective way to measure productivity in LTL. Two city routes in the same town could have very different stops per hour. That long box full of 4x4x4 double stacked skids shouldn't result in penalties for the guy stuck with the 20' steel.

What's needed is for management to be allowed the latitude to decide who is not pulling their weight, but drivers won't allow that. They demand objective, written standards for LOIs. Otherwise they cry favoritism, call lawyers and unions, and generally pitch a fit instead of working together to cut the fat.

I think it's important to remember that XPO is new at this- remember the sales massacre right after the buyout. So if they want to try to make productivity standards, be my guest. I don't think it'll work, but they clearly need to find that it for themselves. Remember that 50% reduction goal in accidents? The safety managers pulled their hair out, but the company had to wait to see if it could be done. And yeah, that guy is gone and now it's 15%.

The company isn't going anywhere and we're making money. I deliver freight fast and I don't have accidents or get hurt. I'll just keep doing my thing and let people above my pay grade worry about engineering standards. My job isn't in jeopardy.

Untethered power quite often leads abuse . Whether it's company standards ( policy) ,union agreements or state or federal laws it's a good thing to have checks in place. We all have experience with rouge managers or supervisors doing what they please.
Capable hard working people can be terminated for unjust cause we just saw that in Xtj.
Nobody wants a bum in the workplace but allowing the freedom to fire people without meeting some kind of threshold is not the answer and would eventually lead to problems.

Last edited:
The problem is that there's just no objective way to measure productivity in LTL. Two city routes in the same town could have very different stops per hour. That long box full of 4x4x4 double stacked skids shouldn't result in penalties for the guy stuck with the 20' steel.

What's needed is for management to be allowed the latitude to decide who is not pulling their weight, but drivers won't allow that. They demand objective, written standards for LOIs. Otherwise they cry favoritism, call lawyers and unions, and generally pitch a fit instead of working together to cut the fat.

I think it's important to remember that XPO is new at this- remember the sales massacre right after the buyout. So if they want to try to make productivity standards, be my guest. I don't think it'll work, but they clearly need to find that it for themselves. Remember that 50% reduction goal in accidents? The safety managers pulled their hair out, but the company had to wait to see if it could be done. And yeah, that guy is gone and now it's 15%.

The company isn't going anywhere and we're making money. I deliver freight fast and I don't have accidents or get hurt. I'll just keep doing my thing and let people above my pay grade worry about engineering standards. My job isn't in jeopardy.
I agree with Gene this company is going nowhere they are making money . Last qtr o/r 84 and change. They will figure out how to take out more cost and drive that number lower for sure.

Untethered power quite often leads abuse . Whether it's company standards ( policy) ,union agreements or state or federal laws it's a good thing to have checks in place. We all have experience with rouge managers or supervisors doing what they please.
Capable hard working people can be terminated for unjust cause we just saw that in Xtj.
Nobody wants a bum in the workplace but allowing the freedom to fire people without meeting some kind of threshold is not the answer and would eventually lead to problems.
No one knows the exact details of their terminations, so to say it was unjust cause is not accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.